Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Help identifying some 'treasures'

Help identifying some 'treasures'

I stopped at a swap meet and after bartering for a couple small ladles, the vendor decided he'd just throw in a bunch of stuff to get it off his hands. When I got home and dug through the bucket, I ended up with a few things that I need help identifying.

I've snapped a couple pictures and have included them here. I think the little black hinged tool is some type of priming tool for a 12ga. It is marked 12 on the front and a 12ga hull fits perfectly in the hole. The silver funnels fit inside each other and a 12ga hull will slide smoothly into the smaller one. The silver tool with the handle looks like some type of sprue cutter, but I don't know how it would be used?? Is the punch for cutting fiber wads or something?

Along with all my 'unknown treasures', I also found a nice inline capper for muzzleloaders, a flintlock pan primer (brand new), an old Dixie gun works RB mold that is labled 415 on the side and a bunch of other useful odds and ends (pliers etc.), 10lbs of lead shot/bullets etc. etc.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. If anything here is of interest to you, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
    AJ

Boolit Master

The top tools are all shotgun relaoding tools. The plier tool in top photo is the recapper, the round tool with ears is a decapper base I think. The funnel shaped tools are for charging the case with powder and shot.

The red handled tool is a herters core cutter.

Boolit Mold
    The tool is a priming tool for 12 gauge. the funnels are wad starters for shotgun looks like one 12 and one 10. The cutter is for cutting lead wire into cores for bullet swagging. the punch looks like it was for cutting wads for a shotgun.

Det

Thanks guys.

AJ

Boolit Master
    #1 ??
    #2 is a shotgun wad cutter.
    #3 is, as stated, a lead wire "core cutter" for swaged bullet making.
    #4 - You got it.
    #5 appears to be a black powder charge measuring tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    #1 ??
    #5 appears to be a black powder charge measuring tool.
    That's what I initially thought, until I took it apart and looked closer.

It's a flintlock pan primer, the end on the left side is spring loaded. You push it in and it will allow fin powder to come out of the chamber.

It's very similar to this, but with a recessed nose.
    http://www.wilkesco.com/index.php?ma...f026a46c08884e

AJ

Boolit Buddy
    The bottom picture is a caplock priming tool. You take the cap off the nipple and push the tool down over the nipple to apply a small amount of 4F powder to the nipple chamber. Then you reinstall a cap, aim and hopefully fire.
    Tim sends

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    The bottom picture is a caplock priming tool. You take the cap off the nipple and push the tool down over the nipple to apply a small amount of 4F powder to the nipple chamber. Then you reinstall a cap, aim and hopefully fire.
    Tim sends
    Thanks Tim, That makes sense with the .415 mold and the inline capper in the kit.

Thanks again,
    AJ

Boolit Master

The bullet mold is from Dixie Gun Works. Turner Kirkland sold these for $6.95 I think. They came in all manner of sizes and shapes. I have a new one here for a .50 caliber Civil War carbine of some kind I'm going to try out soon.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    The notched end of the recapper tool is a star crimper. It will have 6 or 8 "notches". Last step in assembly. Look at some old hulls and you will see the creases.

Vernon

Boolit Buddy
    I the punch looks like a 12 ga. wad cutter,
    I have one just like it, and it works just fine.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Tim sends
    Can also be used as a pan primer for flintlocks, altho they usually have a small spout.