Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 429421 vs 429244

Boolit Master

Lyman 429421 vs 429244

These are 250 grain .44 Caliber SWC/Keith style bullets--the 244 has a GC base. I have both but seldom used the 244 as the GC are too costly IMHO. However that may change, if I can get ahold of a Freechex tool to make my own. Before I felt it best to ask others if I really need a GC at all. I shoot a Model 29, a Ruger Superblackhawk, and a model 92 all in the .44 Mag caliber------also a Marlin .444.

Boolit Buddy
    I found it easier to push the 429244 hard than I did the 429421. I can push them both to full throttle now in my Redhawk, but the 421 is a little more finicky about size (fit) and powder type and charge. The 421 uses a lot more lube that the 244 does too (at least the square bottom lube groove that I have does), but that shouldn't really be a concern in a pistol length barrel. With the 421 and FWFL, I can shoot the 421's at full tilt now, even to the point of having molten lube almost dripping from the muzzle, without issue. Do you NEED the gas checked 244 over the 421? In my opinion no, but it's easier to get it to perform at full potential.

I don't load 44 for rifle so can't comment there.

Boolit Master
    Lurch,

I was planing on using 10~11 grains of Unique and wondered if I'd get more accuracy with the GC bullet. That should get me 1,100+ FPS/maybe near 1,200 FPS, which is plenty for me. Both revolvers lead up a bit when I go over 1,000 FPS anyway---I do size the bullets to be a bit larger than the cylinder chambers.

In Remebrance

Try sizing another thou' larger than you are currently if your mold drops fat enough. If you're getting leading with both PB and GC I'd bet you have a size issue. Many find sizing to as large as the cylinder will accept a loaded cartridge works.

Boolit Buddy
    Wally,

I originally had a lot of trouble with the mid range loads as well with the 421 just as you describe. Size was the issue. Light loads around 800'ish worked good, then I figured out how to make the 1400fps Earth shakers work. But the 100'sh were the last for me to figure out. Like was said above: Make 'em FAT... I use a fast(er) powder too. For whatever reason, I haven't gotten Unique to work as well as I'd like - yet. I do better with Green Dot for that range as well as the light loads.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want too push to magnum velocities with softer alloys that will readily expand you'll want the 244. If you want best accuracy out of the M92 with magnum loads then you'll want the 244. Those would be specialized loads for serious hunting application. Ergo the cost of 1,000 GCs is nil since decent practice loads can be used with the 421. Of course the 421 upwards of 1300 fps out of the handgun or 1400-1500 fps out of the M92 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I have both bullets and use both as mentioned. But the real deal is; for those special occasions when I want the best accuracy with the best terminal performance at the highest safe velocity I pull out the 429244 mould and don't even consider the cost of the GCs as a thousand of them go a long way.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Banned

the 244 has been a more accurate bullet for me then the 421 even at lower velocitys.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd Smale

I sort of figured that it woudl be...have you tried it without a gas check?

Boolit Master
    Larry Gibson

What you say makes a lot of good sense. I may pop for a Frechex tool and make cheap gas checks so that I coudl use the 244 bullet mold more often.

anachronism
    You can send to 429244 mould out & have the gascheck step removed. Either Buckshot or Erik at Hollowpoint Molds could do this for you.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I had heard that--as I have the 429241, I sse no reason to do so...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Larry Gibson

What you say makes a lot of good sense. I may pop for a Frechex tool and make cheap gas checks so that I coudl use the 244 bullet mold more often.
    That would be a very good idea, especially if you shoot a lot of the GC'd bullets. I'm having very good results with my home made GCs although I buy sheet brass shim stock of .012" and use it. I have not had very good luck getting most can metal or aluninum flashing to crimp on the GC shanks as they are too thin. They do work as well as the older lyman non-crimping GCs though, especially the ones made out of aluminum flashing. I'm only making 22, 30, 31 and 8mm so far. Hoping to get into 35s and 44s. I don't shoot that many 6.5, 7mm, 375 or 45s to get that excited about the cost of GCs. Mostly I shoot 30, 31 and 8mms.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Larry,
    What is the cost for .012 brass shim stock and where do you find it?

Thanks,
    Dew

Boolit Master
    Larry,

I have teh .22 caliber Freechex II tool and it works just fine using 0.01" aluminum flashing--I tried thinner aluminum stock and it works ok, but the aluminum flashing is better IMHO.

The first time that I used the toll I made a perfectly formed .22 caliber gas check This made me think, why not get one to make the .44 caliber checks and use the 429244 bullet mold that I have not used in years. I also have an old Lyman 429640 (275 grain falt nose) that also takes a gas check--that should be a fantastic bullet in my .44 Mag carbine & my .444 Marlin.

I have been told that the Freechex tool works very nicely with an arbor press---I have used a C-clamp that simulates one and it works beautifully---

Boolit Grand Master

Wally

If you have a drill press then a large bolt with a flat head in the lieu of a drill bit makes for a nice arbor press. I also use a Craftsman drill press intended for a hand drill with my Lee loaders and .22LR Accurizer. Might have to try it with the GC making tool....now you got me thinking

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I don't have a drill press. I could probably figure out how to use my old Herters press to punch out & form the Gc's...as it is a "C" type of press...or on can use the Lee hand press # 90685

Boolit Grand Master

Wally

You've got me thinking entirely too much!

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    If one can do so and it all works out, it is entirely worth it IMHO

Moderator Emeritus

I h ad my 244 HP'd by Buckshot. Because of the check, I can shoot faster alloys than without. I notice little accuracy difference between the 421 and 244.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have been shooting the 429421 in a SBH and an SRH. full power loads over 296 powder. I have good accuracy and no leading. they are sized to .430 I bought a 429244 mold at a gun show last year but have not tried it yet.