Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Dillon service tale...

Boolit Grand Master

Another Dillon service tale...

I bought a Dillon 550 back in the days when I was shooting IPSC three gun competition (right after the 550 hit the market). I load about a dozen calibers including .375 H&H Magnum.

These days I mostly load pistol (.32, .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum, .45 ACP/Auto Rim, and 45 Colt and soon to be .454 Casull).

I have three Dillon powder measures and two 550's. My original powder measure finally needed some upgrading. I called Dillon and the tech stated that he would not be able to send me what I needed as they had upgraded the measure so many times that he couldn't be sure he would be able to send me the parts I needed. He suggested I send the whole measure to them. I did and in less than two weeks I opened up a box from Dillon and had a complete new measure NO CHARGE.

As has been my experience ever since I got connected to Dillon with my first press the NO BS WARRANTY is exactly how things work.

DILLON FOREVER!!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    That is been my experience with Dillon also. They won't even let me pay for shipping.
    Dillon and RCBS are two of the gold standards in the reloading equipment business.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

there a great company and shiloh is right in that rcbs is the same. Ill add hornady to the list too as they been good to me. I wish one of those three manufactures would make cars and trucks!!!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I go to local yards sales every weekend. About two months ago I spotted what I thought was a press. Sure enough it was mostly a square deal b dillon. The fellow gave it to me. It looks like it was under water for a long time. The powder meaure is gone. The dies are for 9mm. It looks rough. I wonder what dillon would do with it if I sent it to them. Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RSOJim View Post
    My wife and I go to local yards sales every weekend. About two months ago I spotted what I thought was a press. Sure enough it was mostly a square deal b dillon. The fellow gave it to me. It looks like it was under water for a long time. The powder meaure is gone. The dies are for 9mm. It looks rough. I wonder what dillon would do with it if I sent it to them. Jim
    Either rebuild it at no charge, or replace it, also at no charge. It wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that, either.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Call them and ask
    I know a freind had 2 550's go through a fire
    Totaly chared

Dillon rebuilt them by replacing them

Not completely free , but darn cheap

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

A few years ago, I bought a 650. Shortly afterward, I was stupid and blew up the primer assembly (long funny story, no alcohol involved though ).

I called them up and explained what happened. That was on Thursday, the following Monday I received an entire assembly; No charge!

I learned 2 things,
    1) Dillon has the best customer service anywhere.
    2) Always wear ear/eye protection while reloading!

AJ

Boolit Grand Master
    My guess, and that's all it is a guess, is that it would be rebuilt or repaired at no cost. They may charge for the dies.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

dillon

no one can fault them for there service,but you paid for it up front.
    some one buys Lee and then wants the same service Dillion gives.most of the time they get it.some times not,but they did not pay that much for the product.
    I dont have dillon not because it is a bad press it is not I just dont have the money to pay.Herter was like Lee a good product for low price.gets people started
    and thats the name of the game.
    WILDCATT

I have only had two problems with my Dillon 550 over the last 15 or so years. Within three days the problem was resolved at no charge to me.

Dillon is great.

Banned

yes there more expensive but your not just getting a better warantee your getting a much higher quality unit. Even if there warantee was the same as lees id buy one over a lee in a heartbeat and i would do it even if the differnce in price was a 100 dollars more then it is now. I wouldnt fool with another lee progressive if it were free. You may think this is bs but ive been there and done that and spent to many frustrated hours trying to load ammo on them. Id rather go back to a single stage press then go through that crap again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    no one can fault them for there service,but you paid for it up front.
    some one buys Lee and then wants the same service Dillion gives.most of the time they get it.some times not,but they did not pay that much for the product.
    I dont have dillon not because it is a bad press it is not I just dont have the money to pay.Herter was like Lee a good product for low price.gets people started
    and thats the name of the game.

Boolit Master
    my guess they will service what is there for free...but the MISSING powder measure....my guess you will have to pay for that.(cant fix what aint there)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In 1990 we had a house fire, My reloading was done in the basement at the time, due to the fire the house was all in the basement IN the end, lost everything. When the insurance Company paid off (4 months later) I sent Dillon a Cashiers check for the amount required for 1- 550B, 1-650, and 5 sets of dies w/tool heads and the required conversion plates.
    Dillon sent me all parts, presses, dies.....and the check I sent them, uncashed.
    Dillon will have my loyalty and respect the rest of my life!
    IF THE 50 CALIBER CANT GET IT DONE ..............RUN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Boolit Mold
    Well Dillons is a great store. I live within a couple miles of the place and go in there once in a while. While the people on the phone are great I think the retail people could be a little more helpful. Just depends on whos working there thought. One time we went in and wanted to buy some powder and the guys were less than helpful in helping with the products. Another time though there was a guy who was super helpful and even held some powder in his personal stash so I could come back and get it.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Caliber View Post
    In 1990 we had a house fire, My reloading was done in the basement at the time, due to the fire the house was all in the basement IN the end, lost everything. When the insurance Company paid off (4 months later) I sent Dillon a Cashiers check for the amount required for 1- 550B, 1-650, and 5 sets of dies w/tool heads and the required conversion plates.
    Dillon sent me all parts, presses, dies.....and the check I sent them, uncashed.
    Dillon will have my loyalty and respect the rest of my life!
    Wow, thats impressive.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

I lost my Dillon 550 in a house fire my self, after the Insurance check arrived I called Dillon, told the guy about the fire, but i wanted to upgrade to the 650, he sent me a 650 for the small fee of 50 bucks to upgrade, I did send the 550 back to them though
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    there a great company and shiloh is right in that rcbs is the same. Ill add hornady to the list too as they been good to me. I wish one of those three manufactures would make cars and trucks!!!

They may not make cars, but the accessories on AERO in the suv model might make you a redneck.

Smile Dillon Service

Back in 1987 Uncle Sam sent me from Texas to California(back now, thankfully). In the course of the move I lost a box containing a lot of the small parts needed to use my 550. I made up a list of part numbers etc, and called Dillon.

The guy who was helping me told me that the parts would go out the next day. I tried to give him my credit card number to pay for the stuff and he told me that Dillon products were guaranteed. I told him that the product had not failed, but rather that I had lost the parts and needed to pay. He countered by saying that Dillon products are guaranteed to work, and as they will not work without all the parts, the needed parts would be provided under warranty.

Needless to say, Mr. Dillon has received a lot of my money in the following years. I will not load my handgun ammo on any other equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    We should start a thread with various companies (not just reloading related with CS like those above). Over the years, I have sent in a couple of Mag Lites. All of them are returned in like new condition, or replaced outright. Send them in with the spare bulb (or both) missing, and they're returned with new bulbs in place.

I had one go through a truck fire. Melted part of the switch, the light actually worked after the FD put the fire out. I just sent it in for a freshen-up, along with a note detailing the circumstances, and that I fully expected to pay for whatever parts and labor were needed. I had even used that same light as a hammer on several occasions. They sent a new one, no questions asked, and would not take any money from me.

I <3 me a 6 D-cell Maglite. Great photon projector, and wonderful night stick if needed...

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I got my 550 from a guy who used to be handloading editor for American Handgunner Mag. He didn't need the production capacity, so he sold it to me for $100. It came with a bunch of accessories, including two powder measures. I took one in to Dillon's' store front one day and wanted to pay to upgrade it. The guy behind the counter took it, turned his back and walked to the other side of the horseshoe shaped counter as if he was going to look up the parts required on his computer. There was a loud noise. I caught the powder reservoir as it tumbled through the air. He said, "Oh, look! The reservoir broke off!". He walked into the back room and returned with a new, fully upgraded measure. I guess the old one was beyond upgrading so he manufactured a defect using the edge of the counter.

I don't know if that falls under the strict definition of "service", but I'm a happy camper.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast