Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokless and jacketed

For warm weather I don't think Dan Theodore's White Lightning can be beat. He made it especially for hot dry climates so it works even better in high humidity areas.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Montana Charlie,
    Good info, I'm going to have to try that lube. Currently I'm using DGL and SPG, but I have been wondering about something for the hot summer months.
    Let me know if it's any good, Jon.
    Alternatively, Steve Garbe says his SPG works better in hot weather if you pan lube. Seems that running it through a luber sorta breaks down it's 'body'.

The way I read that (because I don't want to pan lube) is that running it through a luber should make it work well in cooler weather, and using a luber heater should 'temper' it for hot weather shooting.

I didn't set out to find a 'better' lube...just a cheaper way to shoot SPG without having to steal it.
    I got a pretty close match in consistency, so I compared the melting points by placing two pea-sized balls in a little pan floating on water. As the water heated, I kept checking the temperature with an infrared thermometer. SPG melted before FGL.
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb
    For warm weather I don't think Dan Theodore's White Lightning can be beat. He made it especially for hot dry climates so it works even better in high humidity areas.
    That's good to know, R J.
    Now, if somebody can figure out how to make it for 9 bucks a pound instead of buying it for 60...even po' boys can use it.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I think I paid about $50 for a 3lb block. I use it only for BP so geez, 3 lbs lasts a long time. Gas to the range and back costs $7.00 and it's under 25 miles each way.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

In Remembrance
    Ever since I posted those numbers, I have been looking for a source of that lube.
    Who carries it?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

As to cleaner burning powders in the old days, you bet. Ned Roberts would only shoot Curtis and Harvey as he claimed it caked less and burned cleanest. Part of that has to do with how the powder is made. They use to not coat the powder, but to tumble it for a long time to glaze it over. They don't do that anymore because that is the most dangerous part of the operation.

As to Black in the 303 I never did get to where I could shoot 10 rounds without cleaning. I also used mostly cast as I was afraid that jacketed would shoot up the pressure when the fouling built up. My loads were pretty wimpy compared to the original British loads, but they put a slug of powder in an un formed case and squeezed the neck in while the powder was sitting in the case. I alsway wanted to try metford rifling, but I never have picked up a gun with decent metford. It is either all shot out or rougher than a cob. A case full of rifle grade pyrodex and a 220 cast bullet will shoot pretty good, and will go about 32-40 velocity.

Boolit Master

You guys need to try BullShops #2 Black Powder Lube. I bought 10 sticks for $30 and I think $2 shipping. I use it with the Lee 457-450F which has questionable lube capacity for Black Powder use in the first place. In cold weather using a Fed 215 to ignite 70gr of Goex Cartridge under a .030 Walters Wad, and this boolit. I have excellent results. I'm just now begining to see warm weather here and will be using this lube all Summer do not anticipate any difficulties whatsoever.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I tried black powder for a while and got tired of all the crap real quick. The "experts" are always telling us how it will outshoot smokeless. But I shoot smokeless in my Buffalo Classic .45-70 with my own cast 500 grainers and have yet to see anyone outshoot it. Cheap gun, smokeless powder... it's not supposed to work. But whenever we shoot at the range the BP guys always come up with some excuse why they're not shooting up to par. Too much fouling. Wrong lube. Wrong this and wrong that. Horse manure! I'll stick with my smokeless. No soaking cases and scrubbing everything as if it had radioactive fallout for me. I'll just stick with my smokeless and its MOA groups, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12