Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokless and jacketed

Super Moderator

Smokless and jacketed

...............Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed.

Just wanting to see what kinda forum this will be an if I'm gonna get my personal butt flamed

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Do you mean that Pyrodex stuff I heard about a few years ago and a paper patched boolit?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot
    ...............Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed, Smokless and jacketed.

Just wanting to see what kinda forum this will be an if I'm gonna get my personal butt flamed

................Buckshot

Are you off your meds again???
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Gosh, Buckshot, you mentioned the unmentionables, and no one threw a tizzy fit! This may be a very good thing for the advancement of BPCR shooting!

Boolit Master
    Yup, that's our Buckshot. Always out on the bleeding edge. To which I say, "It'll never catch on. It's a passing fancy and will go the way of the hoola-hoop, saddle shoes, and the 8-track tape." I bet you owned an Edsel, too. Huh? sundog

Banned
    Well think about it fellows, would you want some of our youth, new young stock, shooting jacketed and smokeless or not shooting AT ALL? Going off playing video games and listening to that gawd awful musice they listen too. Doing drugs. Huh? Huh? Which? Me...I'd be tickled to the death if the new fad for our youth was shooting jacketed and smokeless. Target, hunting, competition of whatever sort. Don't want any smartass replies about "yeah, drive-by shootings".

Joe

See Rick,nothing bad happened! I figure we can use this forum for any old BP rifle shooting what ever.Unlike some of the "other" places
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

I double dare you to say the same thing over on the Shiloh page On second thought, don't bother. I can save you the grief and tell you that there wouldn't be enough chapstick in the world to take the dull red glow off your tail.

R J Talley
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master

To he who has invoked the unmentionalbles...

May the curse of the damp primer follow your family like a cloud of pure black powder smoke, clogging your pores and leaving its sooty fragrance on your entire being.

What can I say, I was stubborn enough to work with black and cast in my 303 for over a year.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like anything that spits out a projectile, from slingshots to underground silos.

Boolit Grand Master
    454PB summed up my ballistic interests pretty succinctly.

303 British/BP/PB, KCSO? How did THAT work out?

My own BPCR efforts have been pretty limited--a couple hundred rounds in 44-40 for the old '73 carbine I have, which didn't do well. The bore fouled out after 6-7 rounds, and accuracy went to hell after that. Wiping the bore restored things to "hunting accuracy" standards, but five shots was about all before a charcoal mining sequence was called for.

The 45-70 was a VERY different experience, results-wise. I did things differently than I had with the 44-40.......30:1 lead/tin instead of WW metal, hand-lubed with SPG instead of Lyman Ideal via the sizer. Those Lee 405's shot VERY well--5 round groups at 100 yards went 1.25" to 1.5". I wiped the bore after each group, fired a fouler, then five for group. This was done in a Ruger #1, and these groups remain some of its best work to date. In both calibers, Goex was used--2F in 45-70, 3F in 44-40. I'm sure this stuff was the largest limiting factor, but the 45-70 still did good work with it.

So--I will be doing more BPCR work in the future. Certainly in the #1 x 45-70, and possibly in the 44-40 as well. I would be interested in hearing ideas for extending the bore condition's serviceability to maybe 10 rounds or beyond without sacrificing accuracy. I'm sure the first users of these rifles in the 1870's through the 1890's had some regimen to follow for this purpose. Like much about cast boolit shooting, we need to "re-discover" what our predecessors did to make their guns and ammunition work well within the limits of their technology.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot
    I know of a 'sharps-man' who recently quit, then rejoined, the eternal brown-nosing circle 'over there' who would be on your butt like two coons in a henhouse...if he ever had the termerity to join this site. When he disappeared there, I thought he might appear here because he sure loves an audience.

When he showed back up, I think everybody had just straightned up to change partners before bending back over...so he slid right into the circle with a nose in his butt, and his in another's.

At least, the ascerbic old retired gunnery sergeant seems to have gone for good...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    If you think smokeless and jacketed would cut a stir, then you should have seen the ruckus I cut when I told them I could make smokeless shoot better than black at long range in a 4570.

Boolit Buddy
    Deputy Al-first thing I wanted to "test" after I got my Shiloh was how many consecutive rounds I could fire while maintaining accuracy. My hunting load will deliver 12 rounds within the same aggregation as a single 5 round blow-tubed group. (I know, this is awkwardly worded!) Shooting slowly, of course, in the springtime, so the barrel was still "graspable." After 12, flyers are a certainty-or maybe group size just triples, I didn't really waste enough rounds to know. Interestingly, my Browning BPCR with my match loads starts flingin' 'em wide after only 3 non-blow-tubed rounds! I think the key is more complete ignition (duh) which I encourage with plenty of powder (71gr Goex Cartridge under a 420gr bullet), enough compression to make everything fit, very close to max OAL for the bullet/chamber combo, and a gentle crimp. Using standard, not mag primers, on the theory that the increased bump of the magnum might move something (like the bullet into the throat) too soon for consistent powder ignition-haven't tested pistol primers yet because 12 in a row is plenty for me-unless I get into a goat culling operation or something! Plastic wads, BTW. I have no idea how to apply all this to the 44WCF-maybe the forefathers really did have cleaner burning black for those newfangled repeaters?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1
    If you think smokeless and jacketed would cut a stir, then you should have seen the ruckus I cut when I told them I could make smokeless shoot better than black at long range in a 4570.
    When is the last time a BPCR won the WIMBLEDON CUP?
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no idea how to apply all this to the 44WCF-maybe the forefathers really did have cleaner burning black for those newfangled repeaters?[/QUOTE]

That might be the case, dunno for sure. The Lyman Ideal and black powder fouling was fairly hard, and wasn't softened much by blow-tubing. SPG or Emmert's or some other BP lube might have done better work at keeping the fouling in a "steady-state" condition--I think that's what happened in the 45-70's bore environment. I could be prompted to try BP in my 32-20 rifle, as well.

Maybe a "Sticky" could be made up listing some BPCR lube recipes for this section of the board.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

ONe of the most popular BP lubes (also an excellent smokeless schuetzen lube) is Emmert's:
    50% Pure natural beeswax
    40% Crisco (the plain white lard lookin' shortening)
    10% Canola Oil

I used that successfully for fifteen years with pure black and also worked extremely well with duplex.

I am now using this with 5% Anhydrous Lanolin and 5% Canola Oil. It sticks on the bullets better long term.

Dale53

In Remembrance
    My goal was to duplicate SPG while reducing the cost. SPG is advertised to melt at 140°, but my thermometer says it liquifies at 130°.
    Whatever...my lube melts at about 20° hotter than SPG, but closely duplicates it's body and consistency...though slightly less 'crumbly'.

In a double boiler, melt a volume of clean beeswax. Then add an equal volume of Camp Dry Beeswax Waterproofer (for boots) made by Kiwi.
    (If Ace Hardware doesn't have any...they can order it.)

The Camp Dry will melt more reluctantly than the beeswax did, so a little stirring is helpful. But, they mix well and won't separate as the mixture cools.

12 ounces of beeswax (at $3.00/lb.) is $2.25, and $6.00 gets a 12 oz. jar of Camp Dry Waterproofer. That makes a pound and a half of SPG-type lube for $8.25. An equivalent amount of the 'real thing' is 46 bucks at Midway.

I call it Faux Garbe Lube (FGL) in honor of SPG's inventor.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-20-2006 at 02:06 AM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Montana Charlie,

Good info, I'm going to have to try that lube. Currently I'm using DGL and SPG, but I have been wondering about something for the hot summer months.

Jon

Boolit Master
    Smokeless and jacketed..............well I quit smoking in 1982, and I gave up using jacketed a few years back

I have to say I learned a lot about BP on the other forums, and there are a lot of good people over there with a lot of good info. some of those that are are quick to Lambaste anyone who mentions smokless, on those forums are no worse than some here that are quick to castrate someone here. I figure it all has to be taken as a grain of salt. Opinions will be opinions, my philosophy is "I pull the trigger, the gun goes 'BOOM", I smile, and if I hit the target, I smile even more".

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast