Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .475 or .500

Boolit Master

Couple things to put everything in perspective - 1st when you see cubs anyone familiar with bears will know mama is close by, so you better prepare yourself for mama quickly and back on out at the same time. They surely were preparing once they saw the cubs. 2nd - the charge took place well beyond the 8 feet the commentor talks about and once mama hits water she slowed way down and with the muzzle blast and water resistance she gave up the "bluff" charge. In the thickets it might have been a different story but as with everything - as long as it ends well for everyone we can put whatever twist to the story we like and this is my "twist".

Banned

None of you fellas don't consider one thing, you want a HEAVY gun to damp out all the shakes and quivers when the bear is almost on you.
    Them big things with short barrels that you try to hit the bear with using one hand is a great aid to the bear, gettin knocked out from the crease in the head makes you easy meat!
    Remember to wear Depends in bear country too.
    I think I will stay home anyway, but to get serious, anything starting with a 4 or 5 would make me feel better.
    Yeah, I watched one of the gun makers shoot a short cannon with one hand. It went past his left ear. He had enough control to keep from planting the barrel in his head, thing would have killed him. Forget a second shot.
    Something else, a one hand shot will go so high from barrel rise you are going to overshoot so you better aim at the ground to start with.
    Ask how I know? I had a nice buck come in on the wrong side so I stuck my 7-1/2" barrel BFR .475 out with one hand---shot clean over him. Takes a darn tight hold even with 2 hands on the gun. I can't imagine a little short .500.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    the muzzle blast and water resistance she gave up the "bluff" charge.
    I'm no expert but I would assume with cubs around, they don't make bluff charges. And that one has "Dead biped" written all over her face.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    Bear charge stopped by warning shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw
    More likly a miss than a warning but that's a good spin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    I'm no expert but I would assume with cubs around, they don't make bluff charges. And that one has "Dead biped" written all over her face.
    I've never been charged by a bear - bluff or otherwise, but I believe the vast majority of charges by a sow with cubs is a "bluff charge" - most people I've personally heard talk about bluff charges were wildlife personnel who were in the field on some sort of count when they stumbled into a blackie with cubs and the sow usually made a bluff charge as they were backing away. The video just shows a "concerned" mama who doesn't appreciate any animal, including man, around her babies and if the guys wouldn't have been hollering at the cubs she may have never known they were there. As far as telling the difference between a bluff and a full out charge prior to the pull up - well, good luck on that one, as the wildlife people just said they screamed stop or some similiar word at the top of their lungs and none of them knew why they didn't crap their pants, as they were that scared.

Boolit Buddy
    Bears are not stupid animals. IMEO, this video shows a mama bear showing that she is full-on ready to defend her cubs. I doubt that man was making a "warning shot", I think he plain missed. Put yourself in his shoes. You're in a rubber boat with ZERO cover and an animal more than capable of killing your just as fast as a sneeze is charging at probably 30mph. Would you fire a "warning" shot?

Say what you will, my money is on the fact you're going to try and drop her before you find out her intentions. Luckily in this video, both the men and the bear won out. I doubt either one of them was 'bluffing' per say.

All's well that ends well, but I think the bear and those men in the boat were all damned lucky.

Good find on the video BTW. I'd damn sure had to have changed my drawers after an encounter like that.

Boolit Master
    Since the gun was coming up as she began to charge, and the distance was so close, I would say he meant to miss. I would bet he knew what a loud blast will do and he knew that if he shot it, it would amount to four dead bears.

One of the best examples of the stress and rush related to a charging dangerous animal is the film below.

This movie involves an African lion instead of a Grizzly or Brown but I believe the message is the same.

To give some background to the film -- the professional hunters are attempting to kill a small male lion who had actually killed a man a few days earlier.

This film may give some perspective to the limited amount of time the hunters have to get their shots off and the speed of which the lion was on them. Grizzlies are actually faster than African Lions.... Notice the missed shots kicking up dust in the background.... These are seasoned professional hunters who, under the stress of the charge, missed several shots and almost died because of it.

Then consider the dense habitat most North American big bears live in, their speed, and the danger from an angry adrenaline pumped bear will be better understood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNgwZgoKFc

TC

Banned

Nope Flat missed, he fell over in a rocking boat with the shot and it was a "snap" he never aimed.

Boolit Buddy
    targetshooter, I'd like to think you're right. I can't tell from the video honestly. As an educated biologist, I also agree with you in that one shot would result in 4 dead bears. As an armed man in a boat, though, I'd tell you it's better 4 dead bear than 1 dead Jon.

I'm just glad we live on the Right Coast, no worry of enormous crazy bear nor shakey ground upon which to live!

Boolit Master
    the latest bear incident here in Cody was done with a 41 Magnum and factory(?) ammo. having killed some bison with 45,475 and 500 L , i like em all, with maybe my 6 shot 475 getting most of the packing in the hills. not a screamer of a load, 22 grains of WC 820 and 405 Keith, CCI 350. SD of 3!! Velocity is 1175 in a 4.875", just will not stay in a bison cow, maybe a bull, dont get to shoot many of those. placement matters the most as does nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmjon View Post
    Bears are not stupid animals. IMEO, this video shows a mama bear showing that she is full-on ready to defend her cubs. I doubt that man was making a "warning shot", I think he plain missed. Put yourself in his shoes. You're in a rubber boat with ZERO cover and an animal more than capable of killing your just as fast as a sneeze is charging at probably 30mph. Would you fire a "warning" shot?

Say what you will, my money is on the fact you're going to try and drop her before you find out her intentions. Luckily in this video, both the men and the bear won out. I doubt either one of them was 'bluffing' per say.

All's well that ends well, but I think the bear and those men in the boat were all damned lucky.

Good find on the video BTW. I'd damn sure had to have changed my drawers after an encounter like that.
    I also do not feel that in any way that was a warning shot. Things just happened very fast and they really did not have time to take careful aim. So as others have said they were very lucky the Bear did turn. If the Bear did not turn you would have had a couple of dead people in a boat or at the very least wounded very badly.

And I got to see a very interesting video once on a game channel that showed a Grizzley chased down and kill an Elk. Let me say that one more time lol. A GRIZZLEY chased down and KILLED an Elk. That was very interesting indeed. Not to mention very eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by TDC View Post
    One of the best examples of the stress and rush related to a charging dangerous animal is the film below.

This movie involves an African lion instead of a Grizzly or Brown but I believe the message is the same.

To give some background to the film -- the professional hunters are attempting to kill a small male lion who had actually killed a man a few days earlier.

This film may give some perspective to the limited amount of time the hunters have to get their shots off and the speed of which the lion was on them. Grizzlies are actually faster than African Lions.... Notice the missed shots kicking up dust in the background.... These are seasoned professional hunters who, under the stress of the charge, missed several shots and almost died because of it.

Then consider the dense habitat most North American big bears live in, their speed, and the danger from an angry adrenaline pumped bear will be better understood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNgwZgoKFc

TC
    All I have to say is those so called Lion hunters made many mistakes to get them into so much trouble. They are very very lucky to be alive.

As for which size of round to take. I only feel that you should only take what you are comfortable with. I have a good amount of Trigger time with a .44 Mag so that is what I would use and practice with. It may not be the Big Boy on the block anylonger but I feel confident that I can hit with it.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    Why not just get yourself a BFR in 45/70. Better bullet selection available, can be loaded to do anything a .475 or .500 can do. Dave

BFR in 45-70 doesn't carry to well. My FA83 w/ 7 1/2" is too big. I'm wanting something very packable. My S&W mountain revolver gets used most. Want something with better penetration probably a 475 linebaugh. That rules out marlin 45-70s 12ga pumps BFRs SRHs, done that. They just end up leaning against a tree.

I will probably convert a blackhawk to 5-shot in 475. About a 5" barrel give or take a 1/2". I shoot 45-70 so can make brass out of that. Now I need to get dies and some molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by use enough gun View Post
    Why not just get yourself a BFR in 45/70. Better bullet selection available, can be loaded to do anything a .475 or .500 can do. Dave
    It can't do what the .475 or .500 can do by virtue of its smaller diameter. The .475s on up are higher up on the food chain than the various .45s.

As someone else mentioned, the .45/70 BFR is a bit on the cumbersome side by virtue of its size.

A BFR in 475 is an option since it is not the long cylinder. The barrel length can be fixed. 7" is too long, 5" carries good for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    A BFR in 475 is an option since it is not the long cylinder. The barrel length can be fixed. 7" is too long, 5" carries good for me.
    Thats what they make hacksaws for....

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Thats what they make hacksaws for....
    Dubber at times we worry about you lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Dubber at times we worry about you lol.
    A BFR is near the top of my "list" for a project. I will be sure to post pics of the hacksaw in action....