Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP loading question

.45 ACP loading question

Is there a load for .45 ACP that will come close to duplicating the muzzle energy of a standard pressure 250 gr. .45 Colt load that won't blow up a 1911? I asked this question on another forum, and was basically told I was nuts. Is this too much to ask of the .45 ACP and the 1911?
    Mark Dickinson
    USAF, Retired

Boolit Buddy
    I think you'll find several loads for 250gr ACP slugs on here. Search for bowling pins and you'll likely get the hits. There was some discussion about this last week.

Last time I went to the range I was shooting 252gr HP .452's over (IIRC) 5.7 or 5.8gr Unique. I didn't bother with a chrono, but they shot very nicely with no signs of over pressure.

Do you have a particular goal for a 250gr slug out of an ACP?

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with a heavy bullet in the 1911 platform is that it is regulated for a 230 gr bullet at 830 fps. You will need a heavier recoil spring and you can have feeding problems. A recoil buffer might help. Basically, it will be hard on the 1911 and you could end up with a cracked slide, etc.

If you want to shoot heavy for the cartridge bullets in the .45 ACP I would suggest a 625 chambered for .45 ACP. Then, using .45 Auto Rim cases (to keep the heavy bulleted loads from your 1911) you can safely drive the Lyman 452424 to .45 Colt factory velocities.

A quality compromise is to obtain a Lyman 452423 mould (240 grs) and load that to about 800-850 fps in your 1911. If they will feed in your 1911 that will not hurt your pistol and is quite a good load (they feed in mine). An 18 lb sping would be a good idea along with a recoil buffer. Keep in mind that Lyman no longer offers that mould and you will have to hunt for one at the local gunshows or online. A custom mould is a possibility (we have had a GB or two on this design), also.

FWIW
    Dale53

If it were possible to get 900 fps with a 250 gr bullet, that would be ideal. I'd really like to try to get 400 ft/lbs of energy out of it. Maybe a smaller bullet at higher velocity? I want to have as much penetration as possible for use against predators if necessary.
    Mark Dickinson
    USAF, Retired

Boolit Master

I've converted a couple of .45 auto's over to .45 Super. Basically ,a shock buff, heavier spring ,use of .45 Super brass. A spring assist guide rod doesn't hurt, either. We played with springs up to 28lb. You can get 32lb. springs! Some of those springs will create coil bind, and have to be shortened. I have since abandoned that cartridge for use in the 1911 platform as I do think it is hard on pistols. (I shoot hundreds of them in my 625's) An even more potent conversion is the .460 Rowland. It uses different brass,too, and MUST be used with a compensator to slow down the slide. Again, too hard on pistols,IMHO. You could probably get away with a good many of these hotrod loads without damaging your gun, BUT, your pistol won't last nearly as long as it would without using them.IMHO. The 452423 mold mentioned is a good choice, I have one, it actually throws a boolit of about 245 grains out of my alloy. It is short enough to use in the acp without sacrificing too much case capacity. It was actually designed for the ACP/auto rim.
    Personally, I wouldn't go over a 20 lb spring. Install a shock buff, start with a slow burning powder, work up gradually, inspect the buff every time you increase your load, when it starts to imprint the buffer anything over just a small "line" ,back off.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I looked around at some factory loads from Remington, Winchester, and Federal. They list some loads with lighter bullets being pushed faster, all loaded with self-defense hollowpoints, that reach the ME figures I wanted. My question with this is: with smaller cast bullets at higher velocity, will penetration suffer? I ask this because of the occasional appearance of large predators (even a black bear once) at our place in the country. I know the standard FMJ 230 gr. round will penetrate a lot, but what kind of damage will it really do?
    Mark Dickinson
    USAF, Retired

Boolit Buddy
    Mark, you might want to look into Clark Custom's .460 Rowland conversion. Not trying to start the 45super/460 argument....

I think they're getting less than $300 for all of the conversion parts, but they will only sell it to you for a select number of 1911 manufacturers. IIRC, you can push a 250gr slug to near 1k FPS with the 460.

I soon as I can get myself out of these forums long enough to save the money, I will be converting my Colt series 80 to a .460. Starline brass is cheap, and uses 45ACP boolits, dies, etc.

<edit> I just saw Softpoint beat me to the 460 idea.

Boolit Master

AZMark;
    Your question re. kinetic energy is well founded. KE is the biggest lie in the shooting/hunting arena.
    I can feel myself slipping into a rant here and I will not!!!
    Divest yourself of any notion of using KE as a guide for choosing ANY load for ANYTHING.
    You've received some great advice here, don't screw it all up buy talking KE
    It is obvious that you want penetration and high sectional density in ANY cartridge is the answer to achieve that.
    I'm stopping here before I loose all control.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

Pepe Ray is correct. Just get a heavy bullet with a good wide meplat (the Keith 452423, as I said before, is ideal for your purposes. It will shoot through a black bear or equivalent and will let a lot of blood out and a lot of daylight in. You can hardly do better from a 1911.

I would take on any black bear around with my 5" 625-6 with this bullet at 900-1000 fps without any qualms at all. You can take THAT to the bank. My new NOE mould (452424 clone) will be here in a week or so, "God willin' and the creeks don't rise" and should do all I need with the .45 Auto Rim.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    AZ, see my response in the 1911 forum under another username. You'll find it's to the point.

Due to deep seating, forget 250 grain 45 Colt duplication velocities in the 45 ACP. Exceeding 400 ft/lbs. is easily possibly with lighter bullets. I trust that will be sufficient.

I didn't think a Keith bullet would feed in a 1911...
    Mark Dickinson
    USAF, Retired

Boolit Master

Feeding in a 1911 configured FA can be 'smithed.
    Some will feed, some will never feed ,most can be 'smithed to feed.
    BUT
    it does not matter cause you don't HAVE to have a Kieth.
    A 45BD (wide flat RN) at 235+ gr. will feed easily and give you all the "slap" and "punch" that ANY Kieth will (within the same weight range +/-)
    If you wish to be inflexible and find the 'mystique' of the Kieth legend then so be it. I've been there. Loved the old codger and respected him. But his protege Ross Seyfried even said in print that Elmer's design had been surpassed by the LBT designs. (Please, lets don't argue over the origin of the WFN designs, it's NOT germane to the discussion.)
    So, pursue the Keith mystique if you must but do so being aware that there is an easier way to achieve penetration and slap.
    Good luck
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

The BD45 would be my choice with a good load of Unique. Maybe someone would sell you their mold, but not me.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If you want to drive a bigger nail, get a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Feeding in a 1911 configured FA can be 'smithed.
    Some will feed, some will never feed ,most can be 'smithed to feed.
    BUT
    it does not matter cause you don't HAVE to have a Kieth.
    A 45BD (wide flat RN) at 235+ gr. will feed easily and give you all the "slap" and "punch" that ANY Kieth will (within the same weight range +/-)
    If you wish to be inflexible and find the 'mystique' of the Kieth legend then so be it. I've been there. Loved the old codger and respected him. But his protege Ross Seyfried even said in print that Elmer's design had been surpassed by the LBT designs. (Please, lets don't argue over the origin of the WFN designs, it's NOT germane to the discussion.)
    So, pursue the Keith mystique if you must but do so being aware that there is an easier way to achieve penetration and slap.
    Good luck
    Pepe Ray
    Man, I just want to use what works. I remember hearing once that Jeff Cooper was a proponent of a flatnosed FMJ...I reckon he knew a thing or two.
    Mark Dickinson
    USAF, Retired

1911 feeding can be improved more than you might believe by changing to a magazine with wadcutter lips. I posted pictures of one here on the board a while back. I'll see if I can find the old post.

Edit:
    Found it. Post #5 -
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=wadcutter
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 09-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

You can make a 1911 feed anything, including empty cases if you slick up the ramp a bit and use good magazines , might have to tweak the magazine lips a bit.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    Wasn't it Jeff Cooper who was a big fan of the jacketed truncated cone 230 with its flat nose?
    The Lee cast copy in either standard or TL should be pretty close to optimum in that weight range, feeds well, and can be driven pretty fast with current powders in sound 1911s or current 625s. Anyone care to comment about this boolit?
    Last edited by Gray Fox; 09-27-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: sp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Wasn't it Jeff Cooper who was a big fan of the jacketed truncated cone 230 with its flat nose? The Lee cast copy in either standard or TL should be pretty close to optimum in that weight range, feeds well, and can be driven pretty fast with current powders in sound 1911s or current 625s. Anyone care to comment about this boolit?
    I shoot that boolit, the tumble-lubed version, in .45 Colt loaded to about 1075 fps. That's my favorite plinking load. It should be *very* nice in .45ACP at about 900+ fps.
    Last edited by zxcvbob; 09-27-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removed Herco data

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't try 7.6 of Herco with that bullet!

This exceeds all loading manual norms, and will produce well in excess of 1000 fps with such a load. I have far more experience with that bullet and Herco in the 45 ACP than the poster above; there's a good reason I counsel not going there.

Beware of guesses from poorly informed sources.

zx, not meaning to be offensive. Just warning that your suggestion is ill advised for the automatic pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast