Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 124 gr. and bullseye

9mm 124 gr. and bullseye

Will start casting for my 9mm CZ75 tomorrow using Lee TL356-124-2R double cavity mould. I have lots of Alliant Bullseye on hand and would like your advice on suitable loads for that combination. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I use 3.5 grains in my 9mm Taurus 99AF...1,100 FPS muzzle velocity

Boolit Master

ive had good luck with 3.8 gr of BE with several bullets and pistols with that load.

Boolit Grand Master

My CZ75 loves Lee's 356-120-TC over 4 gr Bullseye. I use Javelina lube and get no leading and excellent accuracy. If you are using LLA suggest you try 3, 3.5 and 4 gr with your Lee bullet checking for functioning, accuracy and no leading.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    The 2005 Alliant reloaders guide lists a maximum load of 4.9 gr. Bullseye with the 124 gr lead bullet in 99 at 1165 fps and 32100 psi. It appears a bit hot to me. I never loaded 124 gr lead bullets in a 9mm since I was concerned about barrel leading at those velocities. I used to load a 147 gr. lead bullet with 3.3 to 3.5 gr. W-231 (3.5 gr was the max in a WW manual).

It appears a bit hot to me. I never loaded 124 gr lead bullets in a 9mm since I was concerned about barrel leading at those velocities.
    TonyT,
    My goal for loading the 124gr is to find a load that is just fast enough to cycle the action reliably yet give decent accuracy and be an economical round for the range.

I'm mulling over what alloy would be best for this bullet with respect to leading. I do plan to slug my barrel but for now I'm just going to cast a couple hundred before making any decision to size. I have pure stick-on WW and pure clip on WW so I'm still a little uncertain about whether to use pure clip-on or try some kind of combination of the two.

Anyone know what kind of velocity I could expect with 3.5 gr of Bullseye for this bullet.

Boolit Master
    I get about 1,100 FPS with it and 3.5 of Bullseye

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    FWIW, I load 158gr SWC in my 9mm (yes!) with 2.5 gr of bullseye; 147 gr rn with 3 gr; and 124 gr with 3.5. All operate fine and don't lead.

FWIW, I load 158gr SWC in my 9mm (yes!) with 2.5 gr of bullseye;

Jonk. That is very interesting and brings me to another question I've wondered about. What would be good compromises for bullet designs that would work in both a 38 revolver and 9mm pistol? If the barrels slugged close, I might could even size 'em the same. Anyone else done this?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I did some loading for a Beretta nine that slugs out a little over .357" . I size the bullets at .358" and just tried three point three and three point five of Bullseye . the heavier load leaded some but brushed out easy and still had good accuracy for twenty rounds .

I'm thinking about three point four grains and see if the leading stops . I hope the accuracy stays because a full magazine of the hotter load was great . I was using a H&G mold that loks like the Lyman cone point style

Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The 2005 Alliant reloaders guide lists a maximum load of 4.9 gr. Bullseye with the 124 gr lead bullet in 99 at 1165 fps and 32100 psi. It appears a bit hot to me. I never loaded 124 gr lead bullets in a 9mm since I was concerned about barrel leading at those velocities. I used to load a 147 gr. lead bullet with 3.3 to 3.5 gr. W-231 (3.5 gr was the max in a WW manual).

so the 1300/1200 fps i get with 135's in my cz's with no leading would be of no interest to you ?

that was in a 9x21..a hot 9mm.

i curently shoot the group buy 135's a bit slower ...around 1000 fps.

lube, size, hardness can control leading...not limited by velocity alone.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Bub
    mike in co,
    While I do cast bullets for the rifle calibers for the psitol calibers where I shoot a lot more I prefer to puchase.

Boolit Master
    If you enjoy plinking steel cans with your 9mm..use the Lee 105 SWC bullet and 3.5 grains of Bullseye---it works superbly for such shooting. Size the bullet to as large as you can that will allow it to chamber easily--I size to .358".

Does anyone have an OAL recommendation? I just started to reload 9mm cast and am using bullseye at 4.0 gr and an oal of 1.150. I have only loaded 10 and they seem pretty good. Just wondering on the OAl.
    Bob T

Boolit Buddy
    I have a CZ-75 pre-B that I brought back from Germany in 1990. I use 3.2 grains of Bullseye and a 124 grain cast bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Are you guys using straight Wheel Weights air dropped? I'm going to start casting some 124grs and would like to use Bullseye as that is what I have the most of.

I have not slugged my barrel, but it is an S&W M&P9.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The alloy I was using was range scrap and let it air cool . The bullets are the H&G number seven style with the single lube groove filled with Javalina type Alox . Sized at .358" and seated to the front of the forward band it works pretty well with three point four grains of Bullseye . When I get a chance to use the pistol again I may try another powder but this is the only mold I got for that cartridge . Feeds , functions and shoots good , don't know what velocity it might be though .

Jack

Bundyloco,
    I am using 60/40 clipon/stickon ww with 2% tin, aircooled unsized at .3565. No leading in CZ .355 barrel. I haven't chrongraphed it either but is a perfect inexpensive plinking round. Feeds and cycles great.

I've sized down some 158 R/N boolits and put 3.9 grains of T/G under them and shot them out of my carbine!! worked fine and had no leading. I use the LEE T/L molds for that and my TZ-75 pistol . with no fouling yet. have loaded some as high as 4.6 gr of T/G seems my TZ needs a little more kick to cycle good though

Boolit Bub
    For a while I've been using 3.5 gns of Bullseye for several ctgs. In 9x19 I load it under a 124gn RN sized to .358. In 38 Special I load it under either a 148gn DEWC or a 125 gn SWC, sized .358. In 9x18 I load it under the Lee Makarov bullet unsized.

Now I'm loading for a 9x19 carbine so I'll be boosting the load a little out of curiosity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast