Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on H&R Buffalo Classic

Boolit Master
    "Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!"

Or could be that's the only one he can afford.

Boolit Mold
    How would i go about pitting a vernier tang sight on a H&R Buffalo Classic. I see one on the first page and am interested the process of doing this to my Buffalo Classic. thanks for the advise.

Boolit Master

Why would you want to do that?
    Better with a reciever sight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Why would you want to do that?
    Better with a reciever sight.
    I would say that depends entirely on what range(s) you plan to shoot at. If 200 yards is your limit, then either a receiver sight or the factory sight is more than adequate. If you want to stretch things out a bit, say to 600 yards, then I doubt if a receiver sight will have enough elevation adjustment when the trajectory of the .45-70 is taken into consideration. I may be mistaken on this, because I haven't actually shot mine that far away yet, so please correct me if I am mistaken.

One other reason would be because it looks cool.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    I love my Buffalo Classic and have always wanted a Creedmoor sight. I have found them and on the first page of this thread there is a buffalo classic with a tang sight. I like th eset-up and want to put the vernier sight on my rifle. I just need to know how to do it. I need to know what to tell the gunsmith.

Boolit Master

New, I did a similar thing as your wanting to do. My brother put the action in his milling machine. You have to level the wrist of the stock, we did this by trial and error. Find the center point of the action, now crank the table until you get to the wrist. In my case I used a piece of brass .125" thick by .5" wide and about 2.5" long. Yours will be similar. Use a milling cutter and cut to the depth, width and length of your material. I epoxied mine in and used a short countersunk wood screw in the center to hold the piece while the glue dried. The screw will be covered by the sight. Be sure you drill and tap the piece to match your sight before gluing in.

Quite frankly any gunsmith worth his salt will know what to do once you tell him what your after...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for the info. I am going to take it to him this week. I really want to see it with the new sight on it.

A friend of mine loves his HRBC, except for the recoil.
    Pads, lead shot in the stock, and mercury recoil reducers just didn't make enough difference, especially when compaired to my 14 pound sharps...
    His solution ?
    Through some connections, he managed to procure a perfectly dimensioned, machined to spec slug of tungston.. 3/4" x 8 ish inches... a nearly four pound increase right now.
    He's anxious to go shoot.

Williams Target Sight

The attached picture shows the williams adjustable rear sight on my Buffalo Classic. The one thing unique about this rifle is that it likes HARD boolits! I tried some range lead scrap out of the lyman 457124 mold and the rifle grouped horribly! Then tried some hard cast Lee's 405, 450, Postell and 500 gr GCs and it shot 3/4" groups at 50 yards. I think this is due to the shallow rifling of the bore.

I use a Past recoil pad when I shoot this off the bench. 20 Rounds with that metal buttplate and I've had enough!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5210192.jpg  

1874 Sharps are what all THE OTHER RIFLES wanna be when they grow up!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Quote Originally Posted by school of mines View Post
    The attached picture shows the williams adjustable rear sight on my Buffalo Classic. The one thing unique about this rifle is that it likes HARD boolits! I tried some range lead scrap out of the lyman 457124 mold and the rifle grouped horribly! Then tried some hard cast Lee's 405, 450, Postell and 500 gr GCs and it shot 3/4" groups at 50 yards. I think this is due to the shallow rifling of the bore.

I use a Past recoil pad when I shoot this off the bench. 20 Rounds with that metal buttplate and I've had enough!
    Does all the 45-70 H&R rifles have the shallow rifleing or is it just the Clasic that is that way because of the longer barrel ? I read the article in Rifle or Handloader Magazine where the Clasic was used to take a Buffalo and it did mention the shallow rifleing but said it was also acurate.I had sent my reciever off to Marts Custom Guns here in Tennessee to have fitted a 38-55 barrel and the 45-70 Clasic barrel and he stole my reciever along with many more and was told they were sold in 2 states,filed charges but nothing happened and I may send my 223 barrel and see about getting another reciever and a few more barrels fitted also.He also got me for $333.00.Often wondered if the Win.375 could be shot in a 38-55 H&R or NEF as they are called today.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    I am looking at at possibly buying a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, and was wondering what kind of experience others have had with them.

If it's anything like my single shot 12 guage from them, it should be a nice rifle.

Thoughts?
    I love mine! I need to do a tiny bit of tuning on my forearm as I cannot tighten it down or it won't group. Especially, make sure you cool her down in between groups. I have lately been playing with .457 Round Ball loads and having fun with those. I picked up a slip on Limbsaver small shoulder pad, so as not to mess with the look of the stock, because when shooting stouter loads that metal butplate really starts talking to you. I am mainly using RL7, although I'm playing with BP some and also Unique for the round balls. I have found that some of the light loads listed for normal handi-rifles barely exit the barrel and have settled on 11.2gr Unique with the round ball gives pretty good accuracy with enough oomph to hit a 10" target gong at 100yards. This isn't a deer load of course, but something to carry for varmints and taking out ground hogs at my grandpa's house. 8)

Boolit Master
    FWIW, for those who don't like the straight stock on these rifles, the stock from the Topper Trap Gun and the Topper Deluxe Classic will drop right in; they are walnut, pistol grip stocks, with recoil pads. The Trap Gun stock has cut checkering and features pretty wood, and retails for around $75. I have the part number here somewhere, if anyone is interested - PM me and I'll hunt it down.

I recently ordered one for my BC; I'm going to install a better quality vernier tang sight this time.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/toppertrap.asp
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Go for it - they're a great rifle for the price

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd give you my .02 cents worth about the Buffalo Classic - I have the predecessor to the H&R - a Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic. Bought it specifically for BPC shooting and am having a great time getting it dialed in. Using Missouri Bullet Co 405 gr hard cast ( 18 BH ) and 65 gr of FFg through a drop tube with a 45 cal Wonder Wad. Recoil was manageable but troublesome from the bench so took a trip to the local hardware store to purchase 8.5" of 3/4" copper tubing. Poured it full of melted lead and it slid perfectly into the stock hole. This added 2lbs to the rifle which makes very comfortable to shoot with the above load. I've ordered a Williams FP aperture rear/front sight set since the blade and rear notch setup that came with it is too course for longer shots. This 100 yard group was not bad with open sights - the one flyer being my fault from canting the rifle - but I think it will do better with the new sight setup. The shallow rifling seems to take the hard cast bullet fine but wiping between shots is mandatory. I've had two Sharps replicas which were awesome, but this one is just good cheap fun and is built like a tank - capable of firing modern jacketed loads if you so desire. I would not hesitate recommending one as a first single shot rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    A friend of mine loves his HRBC, except for the recoil.
    Pads, lead shot in the stock, and mercury recoil reducers just didn't make enough difference, especially when compaired to my 14 pound sharps...
    His solution ?
    Through some connections, he managed to procure a perfectly dimensioned, machined to spec slug of tungston.. 3/4" x 8 ish inches... a nearly four pound increase right now.
    He's anxious to go shoot.
    The original Creedmoor rules specified a 10 lb rifle max with a plain trigger that had to hold 3 lbs; no set trigeers. Nearly all rifles that are used in BPCR "Creedmoor" these days are not authentic to the period. I guess the guys that shot in 1874-1880 were "tough".

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

I really like the Handi but the Buffalo Classic is too heavy IMO.

Boolit Master

Quiet loads for the Buffalo Classic?

It seems like the 45-70 with a 32 inch barrel would be perfect as an Urban Deer Rifle. Say 405 grains @ 900 fps with Trail Boss should be very quiet with that long barrel. Has anyone tried this combination?

Mine shoots great with 34 grains of IMR-4198 under a 405 grain Remington bullet.

Boolit Master

Ha, this thread is still alive.

I ended up buying the Marlin 1895 Guide gun.

Though I'm still thinking about the BC.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Banned

keepin' the thread alive ...

the 45-70 is a reasonably versatile and fun caliber that can go from rimfire mild to bone-bustin' wild, with regards to recoil, by choosing the appropriate powder and lead. i load trail boss, aa5744 and imr4198, with lead from 350 to 535 grains. they're all capable of good to excellent accuracy from 50 to 100 yards, and beyond. the trigger is not adjustable and can be lightened (with care), or just shoot the thing a bunch and it'll smooth out. i've found that the trigger break on most handi's is crisp.

the longer 32" barrel of the buff classic allows for a better iron sight picture and aiming. whether or not that length is suitable for hunting is up to the shooter/hunter. as is, and if the barrel length isn't an issue, it's hunting ready. the only concern might be recoil with lever or ruger power loads, and that can easily be tamed with stock weight/mercury and/or a slip-on butt recoil pad - been there, done that with both.

going the longer distances - the supplied rear and front sights work very well out to maybe 200 yards or so, depending on the cartridge load. reaching out longer with iron sights requires a receiver sight change, to perhaps a better williams or a smith ladder. i know of one person who installed a tang sight and did quite well with it out to 1000 yards ... however, since the bc uses a break open receiver/barrel, and since the tang sight is located on the stock, there *may* be alignment issues since both the sight and barrel sit on two different moving parts of the rifle. i use a smith ladder peep, which is good for 1000 yards (yeah, right - never happen). it's draw back is no instant windage adjustment (dovetail that requires a punch 'n' hammer). for the iron sight challenged, use an h&r scope base and hammer spur, and pick whatever glass ya like - been there, done that too.

i have both the 32" buffalo classic (used with iron) and 24" ultra hunter (used with glass). both shoot just fine for me. you won't know 'til you try 'em, either. ymmv.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast