RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on H&R Buffalo Classic

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    jack19512, Why is one shot a pain? I've never needed more in my 62 yrs of life while hunting. I had a 13 yr old boy ask me a question at the deer camp back in 1986. He said Mr. David why is it that we hear you shoot one time and you come back with a deer and the others shoot a bunch of times and they come back with stories? I've always thought that if you have more than one shot it leads to bad marksmanship. Now I'm not saying that this is you in any way sir as I don't know you. I'm talking in general with the average shooter. When the 742 ruled the woods I would laugh every time a deer came down the stand row. Some shooters were firing faster than it was possible to have a sight picture. I'm also a lover of the lever action rifle and have 4 of them. My point was that one shot is no penalty for hunting.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    jack19512, Why is one shot a pain? I've never needed more in my 62 yrs of life while hunting.

That's a fair question to ask. I used my BC a lot to target shoot. And this has been mentioned from others that have used the break open single shot rifles as well as myself, I just got tired of going through all of the process that it entails of shooting a lot of 5 shot groups.

Probably just a personal thing but I don't miss it a bit. As far as the hunting part goes I have always considered myself to be a pretty fair shot but regrettably I cannot brag about the one shot one kill 100% of the time like some can. After all I am just human.

Boolit Master

I've always loved large bore rifles in single shot, some of the heavier recoilers may have the ability of a second shot, but I've never had the need or desire for a follow up.

I don't shoot at fast moving targets with a hunting rifle.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master
    I have had 3 of the H&R rifles. I had the Buffalo Classic 45/70, the Ultra Varmint .223. and the 17 mach 2. Although all of them shot OK none were excellent as far as the accuracy goes.

Again, I can't brag like some of you can as far as the one shot one kill goes. I have made a lot of the one shot one kill shots just not every time. I sold the BC and bought the Marlin 1894 45/70 CB and have not regretted it at all.

I sold the Ultra Varmint .223 and bought a Stevens .223 and have not regretted it at all. I sold the H&R 17 mach 2 and bought a Savage 17 mach 2 and have never regretted it.

All of the rifles I purchased to replace the H&R rifles shoot more accurately. And yes, I tried all of the H&R fixes to no avail. For the money they are a reasonable buy but in my opinion if the extra money is there, there are just too many better choices.

I know it must sound like I don't like the H&R rifles but this isn't the case. It's just that in my opinion, and I do have experience with 3 of them I can do better. The original poster wanted info from everyone concerning the BC and this is my opinion.

I was on Graybeard's forum for a while and I was always reading about the problems others were having with their rifles. There are always going to be those that don't ever need a follow up shot(not me)and there are always going to be those that swear up and down that their H&R rifle is one of the most accurate rifles they have ever had(not me)so like it or not I am just telling it like I saw it. I have no desire to ever purchase anymore of the H&R rifles myself but would never fault anyone that does.

Boolit Master
    I honestly believe that a single-shot rifle can lead to better marksmanship. Note that I said can, not does. Practice and familiarity with a rifle (any rifle) usually does lead to better marksmanship. When I started burning black powder I found that by the time I had my rifle sighted in and an accurate load developed, I was a pretty fair shot with it. I attribute that to two things - consistency, and practice.

Nothing new or earth-shattering in what I just wrote - it all goes back to the old saying 'beware of the man who only owns one gun - he probably knows how to use it.'
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I don't own as many rifles as a lot of the members here do, I think I have around 25 or so and around 10 handguns but the only firearms that have earned the right to stay in my gun safe are the firearms that I am mostly happy with.

I am getting too old and life is just too short to hold onto a firearm that does not please me to a reasonable extent. If my memory serves me correctly when it came to the H&R rifles the two main concerns I had with them was the single shot break open design which I admit is just a personal thing, and consistency as far as accuracy goes. I sincerely hope if the op gets the BC he is totally satisfied with it.

Boolit Master
    Oh, you guys that make these one shot one kill shots know that you can do that with a bolt or lever gun too don't you?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    jack19512, That was not bragging about one shot kills but pure and honest fact. My cowboy name is Fairshake and it means that I will never do anything to cheat or hurt my fellow man. I don't lie and will back that up with loads of proof. The one shot kill is very easy to pull off. If you can't be 100% sure that you kill with the shot given then you don't take it. It's that simple. There are no longer men who hunt so that they can eat. If you let the animal walk he will be another days hunt. I hunted with a club that shot only 8 point and above and we weeded out all the shoot im up members by imposing heavy fines. If you shoot a illegal deer you are fined $250 and you must mount him also paying for the mount. You also give up your right to any meat as that deer is put in the camp meat locker. We had two members that had to pay and we lost some but the ones who stayed made good hunters. Why shoot and loose the deer to rot in the woods?
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Cajun I can not agree more. But the problem is there are many hunters but not many Hunter Shooters.

I mostly Hunt with my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. But when I do I have only two rounds in the gun. The extra is incase of a snake lol.

I do keep a few extra in my pocket incase I am lucky and run into some Hogs at the same time.

But like you my big thing is to put down game as fast as I can to limit how much they suffer and how much I would suffer if I had to chance them down.

But as you said I have run into many so called hunters that will bang away at anything that moves.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

As for Single Shot Guns look into how many Ruger No 1's and 3's are around. The people that use such Rifle's take great care on how they place that one shot. But it should not matter if a gun can hold 1 round or 100 rounds each shot taken should be done as if that is the only round you have.

But hey what do I know lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    jack19512, That was not bragging about one shot kills but pure and honest fact. My cowboy name is Fairshake and it means that I will never do anything to cheat or hurt my fellow man.

I never doubted you or anyone else, you're taking this way too serious and personal. I also know people that have had to take more than one shot to put the animal down, that's a fact, and they are good shots. It just happens. I'm sure there are people on this board that has taken more than one shot to do it also whether they want to admit it or not. You kind of make it sound like if you take more than one shot then you are an unethical hunter! No one is perfect and no situation is either, stuff happens. I don't lie either, that is why I admit I have had to take that second shot before. I'm not even gonna go into this "But the problem is there are many hunters but not many Hunter Shooters" crap.

Buffalo Classic?

Hmmm.....if this were my only option I'd go back to the longbow!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master

As a kid I had a single shot rifle and shotgun. I got ONE box of shells for each per year. I hunted for meat, we ate what I killed. I chose my shots VERY carefully, if the range was too far I crawed closer on my belly.
    I have a walk-in gun safe that is full of bolt actions and single shots with 2 pump shotguns, NO AUTO'S. I love my single shots including the BC 45-70. I just turned 66 yrs.old and,knock on wood, I haver lost a game animal or had to take a follow up shot. Single shots make you a better hunter and shooter IMO.
    Larry

When I hunt I take my AK and four thirty round mags! Every once in a while I manage to hit the deer!
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a BC .45-70. Purchased it from a hunting buddy whose passion always has been to try something else. I haven't shot it much. Initially I shot it with some loads I had made up for my 1885 Marlin. 100 yd groups were very acceptable for hunting. Then another friend handed me (5) rounds of his favorite load. All I know is the bullet was the Lyman 457122, the recoil was very tolerable and the 100 yd (5) shot group was one very small ragged hole. The BC seems to be one fine shooting rifle, with the right load. I am soon to dig out a PP swaging die that I purchased from Larry Blackmon and have never used. PP in the BC should work out very well once I get all my ducks in a row.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    ive owned a few of the BC 45/70 found if you reload the 45/70 with a 300 gr lead and 12 gr of green dot powder its a joy to shoot , full house factoru loads will jar your teeth loose

Tuttle Okla. 12 miles south of South Canidian River

Nef-Remington BC

As most of you know by now that Remington bought Nef. I had the good luck to have one of these given to me as a gift. I have several rifles in 45 Cal. They are as follows. 1885 Highwall 45-90. 32 inch barrel. 1885 Highwall 45-90 Uberti 32 inch Barrel. 1886 Browning. This rifle was converted into pistolgrip, so as to have a recoil pad installed. A Nef BC 32 inch barrel Tang sights on all of the afore mentioned. Now my point that I am going to make, is that the cost of a rifle, does not always spell how accurate it will shoot. I would like to state before I go on with this, is that I am not an expert in anything. I have been casting, and shooting for over fifty years, and the first thing that I learned was that most bullet molds are worthless. They drop bullets boresize. Now as most you know the excepted rule of thumb is .002-.003 over bore size. Now if you have the misfortune of owning a mold that drops bore size, and the barrel slugs .002 overwhat do we do? We could bump, but this is like having a car wreck. Start out with a good bulett, and wind up with something else. I have the fortune of having one of my late Fathers H&G molds. 6 cavity 385gr. FB.mold #399-4 Comes out of the mold .464 I make my own alloy.9lbs. dead lead. 1lb Nickel Babbit. This material is used to make high speed bearings. They look like lone ranger bullets. Hard as hub of hell. Now the Bc. If you shoot bullet that are sized .458-.459, you will just get mediocre accuracy. My barrel slugged .4595. I slug bullets .462 Shoots with as good accuracy, as guns that cost 10 times as much. Point is if you have the skills to shoot, and the knowledge of how to get your ducks in line, then this rifle is just the ticket. Best thing about the BC, is most everyone can afford one. Also you can go on line to NEF.barrelprogram.com. It will blow your mind at the cost of the replacement barrels. Most affordable for anyone. I purchased a 12ga turkey barrel 3 and one half inch. 28ga. barrel. and a 38-55 barrel for my Bc.. If anyone of you need a very good tang sight, just call the man that gave me this rifle. His name is Tom Chase. He lives in Okla. City Okla. (405) 635-0101. Now I am in no way an expert. Just tried, and true methods I use. Lumpie
    Last edited by Lumpie; 10-21-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: wrong tele number& spelling
    Better to have a gun, and not need it. than to need one,and not have it!

Happiness is a warm 45/70

Tho I walk through the valley of death, I fear not,

For I am the biggest **** in the valley!
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Tuttle Okla. 12 miles south of South Canidian River

Buffalo Classic

I have two barrel in 45/70, so I decided to have one chambered out to 45/120 Had this done so I could test it out on anything from 45/65 to 45/120 If it does not pan out,Ican use it for the 45/120 only. I had a recoil pad installed on it. I will probably need it. I will post what my experiment will bring. Lumpie
    Better to have a gun, and not need it. than to need one,and not have it!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Nothing new or earth-shattering in what I just wrote - it all goes back to the old saying 'beware of the man who only owns one gun - he probably knows how to use it.'
    Seeing that 'old saying' reminds me...

We have a member who spends some time writing gun-related pieces for publication. His 'signature' on a different forum has always nettled me, and now I know why.

I had to go there to copy/paste this so I was sure to get it right, but he believes we should...
    "Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!"

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast