RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on H&R Buffalo Classic

Boolit Master

Thoughts on H&R Buffalo Classic

I am looking at at possibly buying a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, and was wondering what kind of experience others have had with them.

If it's anything like my single shot 12 guage from them, it should be a nice rifle.

Thoughts?
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Mold
    I've had mine for about a year now and will never part with it! Just got a 535gr Postell mold going and can't wait to see what it does with those.

Boolit Master
    I have one, I like it. Kicks the living snot out of me with hot loads but is very accurate.
    Some where between here and there.....

In Remembrance

Kicks like a mule and that curved butt plate is wicked. It could use a longer throat also. This is from experience with a friend's rifle.

Boolit Master

the curved butts never bothered me, I have small shoulders.

Long as it's accurate and wont break on me.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master
    Recoil is on the UGLY Side using full house BP loads.

It's not legal in any NRA event, Might be ok in CAS stuff or the gun shoots, But I have never seen anyone ever place or do well with one of them even at Gong Shoots.

KW
    The lunger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    I am looking at at possibly buying a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, and was wondering what kind of experience others have had with them.

If it's anything like my single shot 12 guage from them, it should be a nice rifle.

Thoughts?
    First off, they are very accurate rifles with a wide variety of bullet weights and types. They are both black powder and paper patch friendly as well.

If you buy one, remove the buttplate to reveal the through bolt hole and fill it with tightly packed #8 shot. This adds to weight to reduce recoil and improves balance too. The sights are "ok" for hunting and plinking those gongs Kenny mentions. But if you want to reach out a bit, plan on sight replacement. Tang types can be installed as well as period correct scopes.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master
    SharpsShooter,
    Just exactly which tang sight is that one in the photo? Have had discussion with other members about tang sights and probably can't afford one, but that looks like a dandy.

thx997303,
    By the way, they are great rifles. From mild to wild, they do alot. From shooting round balls (.457 RB pushed into a case with small amouts of Unique powder - like 8 or 9 grains of Unique) to 535 Postnells. I love mine. It can do everything from squirrels to bison to target competition. Just depends on what youu feed it.
    Last edited by 725; 09-20-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: didn't want to hijack the thread and show my bad manors

Boolit Master
    Definitely plan on lengthening the throat a bit if you want to shoot heavyweight bullets. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

I also installed a tang rear sight on mine, although I went about it just a bit differently. I inlaid two (female) threaded brass posts into the stock, and attached the sight to them, with the sight base inletted flush with the wood. Looks good, works well. Track of the Wolf carries many different tang sights; prices range from downright reasonable to quite spendy:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(3lx...67&styleID=770
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    They are a fun gun that will give you many fun times. They are as Kenny W noted not legal in certain matches. If you use it for what it was intended you will be pleased. The negative side is the weight of the rifle, which at 8 lbs is not good for cases full of BP and heavy bullets. You can have a leather shop make you a butt pad that ties on and put a shock absorbing material inside. This will increase the LOP. Fill the stock with shot or a Mercury cylinder. The first thing you should do is make sure the forearm is not touching. Place a plastic washer on the bolt to take of this. Last is that the gun can be used for hunting with bullets in the 3-400 range. I also mounted the Marble's tang sight on mine using the brass threaded inserts on the tang.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Ok, so add shot to the stock, sights are ok, lengthen the throat if I want to shoot 500 gr. Not legal in some competitions.

Sounds good, I intend to hunt with it anyway.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Ok, so add shot to the stock, sights are ok, lengthen the throat if I want to shoot 500 gr. Not legal in some competitions.

Sounds good, I intend to hunt with it anyway.
    I found the 32" barrel un-Handi for deer hunting in the thickets. The 22" barrel works well in thickets.

Both my 32" & 22" 45-70 barrels much prefer the Lee 450 FP in pure lead over Pyrodex RS and a felt wad. If you have some WC860 you can load it exactly like black powder or Pyrodex except you'll need a heavy crimp for complete powder consumption.

Boolit Master
    Good information. Thanks Junior. I may have to try that in my old shikari
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    I have several handi rifles but not a buffalo classic. I do have a 38-55 one that shoots just fine and it is similar to the BC. I also have a 22 inch barrel on one in 45-70. This is my hunting rifle as long barrels are hard to lug around in heavy timber. I have shot several BC in 45-70 and they all shot very well. Except for being too light weight for target shooting they are great rifles. By all means fill the butt hole with lead shot. It will improve balance and add weight for those heavy loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    SharpsShooter,
    Just exactly which tang sight is that one in the photo? Have had discussion with other members about tang sights and probably can't afford one, but that looks like a dandy.
    IIRC that is a C.S.A. (C Sharps Arms) vernier.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

I feel stupid asking, but I am unfamiliar with the cartridge.

The 45-70 is always loaded with blackpowder right?

I feel stupid asking, but I am unfamiliar with the cartridge.

The 45-70 is always loaded with blackpowder right?
    No. It is commonly available, loaded with smokeless, to black powder pressures and ballistics, so it is safe to fire in older riles,
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master
    thx997303,
    There are many loadings besides black powder in the .45-70. The Buff Classic is capable of many of them. A good reload manual will give you a wide variety to try, smokeless and black powder work well in it.

Boolit Master

With my ageing eyesight with the Buffalo Classic's long barrel I can get the sights in focus. I don't own one or have I shot one. I got a good look at one at the recent NRA Convention and I've been looking to do some horse trading for one since then. I hope to have one some time this year.

Boolit Master
    I had a buffalo Classic but sold it. I liked it OK and it shot reasonably well but sold it and bought a Marlin 1895 CB and have never regretted it. For whatever reason the Marlin shoots more accurately than the BC and for me the single shot was a pain.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast