Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Distant Thunder

Boolit Master

Distant Thunder

I have a very sad announcement. I'll be brief as I am on my cell phone down in Kansas City this morning.

I just got a call from James Kluskens about an hour ago. JK2 as some of you know him. His dad, Jim (aka Distant Thunder), who we all know and love, died yesterday.

Words like "tragic" really don't suffice, but tragically, Jim was killed yesterday when a tree felling operation went bad. He was struck on the head and died at the hospital.

James asked that I pass the word to the shooting community,

James also asked that if anyone wants to talk with the family to call him (I can provide a number). Jim's wife and others are in shock. James himself is not doing too well either. They were tight. Even Jim's dog, Odie, is feeling lost.

So, this is the saddest news I can imagine, but think of Jim whenever you touch off a round or hear the rumble of the Distant Thunder. Those of us who have had the privilege of shooting with Jim are going to be lost without him on the firing line. For those who have not shot with him, he was a phenomenon unlike any other.

Maybe later, we can all gather together, perhaps on the Shiloh site, and tell few Jim stories, but for now, put your thoughts with his family.

Brent Danielson

Ps. James said he would keep me in the loop with regards to services etc. I'll let you know when I do.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Sad news indeed. The BPCR crowd has been diminished. R.I.P. Jim Kluskens.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Jim’s passing is devasting
    One heck of a good man gone
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I’m stunned.

Since DT retired, his experiments and writing on .44-77 paper patch load development (here, on the Shiloh site, and on the Historic Shooting site) have been primary sources of info for anyone interested in getting their rifles shooting properly. Obviously, he had a lot more investigations and discoveries left in him. Incredible to think that someone of that level of energy is gone so suddenly.

Condolences to his family and friends. A sad day for the BPCR community.

Moderator Emeritus

R.I.P. Sir. Prayers for the family.

Boolit Master
    Rest in peace. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Boolit Master

Prayers sent for his family and friends.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

live every day to its best we never know.

Boolit Man
    This forum is where I made my first contact with Jim.
    I had years of competitive shooting experience in a couple different disciplines and was interested in BPCR.
    Jim was very receptive to me and when I expressed an interest in paper patching, our relationship really took off. He took time to answer all my many questions and sent me things like bullets and paper to experiment with. When I got things pretty well figured out, he loaned me a mold he made that turned out to be perfect for my Shiloh.
    I met Jim face to face for the first time at the spring long range match at Lodi. There he passed up the opportunity to shoot with his regular crew to be squadded with Kevin Alexander and myself, in order to help the pair of us through our first long range match. Thanks to his wind coaching, we both did very well at that match. A tribute to a great teacher!
    His death has been a terrible shock to all of us who knew him. His absence at matches will be painfully felt.
    My heart goes out to his family.
    JKR