RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dillon 550B

Boolit Master

Dillon 550B

Thinking of buying a 550B. Has anybody had any experience dealing with eguns.com or edsreloadersandbrass.com? Neither charge for shipping. If both are a headache, I'll pay the shipping to Dillon (it just kills me to pay a dime more then I have to) to not have to put up with a bunch of mess. Anybody?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If it's new in the box it does not matter where you buy it. The Dillon warranty will still be there. Go for the best at your door offer.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

there is no such thing as free shippping of course,it's in the price.The best price is what you want,bottom line.I'd be surprised if anyone could beat buying direct from Dillon,be very careful about what all is included in eash package,that sometimes is the deal-maker...or breaker.

Banned

Boolit Master

I've seen the 550B listed by edsreloadingandbrass.com for what seemed a better price than Dillon, but it did not mention whether or not it comes with a caliber conversion as they do direct from Dillon. Make sure of what you're getting for your money. Currently a conversion unit is $41.95 from Dillon. That doesn't include dies either.

I've had my 550B since 1992...great machine. No machine is perfect, but I'd get a 550B again if I was going to go progressive.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Moderator Emeritus

I bought my 2nd 550b from Dillon direct, didn't need a conversion or a die set, so paid less, and they only charged 10 bucks to ship it. See who has the cheapest to your door price and buy from them. You deal with Dillon for warranty and parts ordering, if you bought your machine from eds reloaders and you need warranty repair or parts, you contact Dillon directly, not eds.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    Brian Enos sells Dillon.

He does it at the Dillon price but does not charge shippingfor orders over $400. Your 550B alone would be more than that.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you can spend the extra dollars at this time then it would behove you to buy the following items. The strong mount, bullet tray, and case tray set up. These items will help make your loading faster and easier.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man
    I'll second the Brian Enos suggestion. He'll walk you through everything and make sure you get what you need, and has (or used to) certain packages available to save a little on the cost. If you check out his web site you can pick up a few tricks on using any of the Dillon presses. Shipping is free over a dollar amount (can't remember the amount), and is just as fast as ordering from Dillon.

Hope this helps,
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't say where the best place to purchase is, but you are getting a quality machine in the Dillon 550B. Mine is second hand.

I have had parts wear out, I broke part in a cross country move, I damage parts from carelessness. I always told Dillon, Yep, it's second hand and it broke because it was my fault. It wore out because of heavy use. Dillon sent the parts and wouldn't let me even pay the shipping. Wouldn't here of it. GREAT customer service from Dillon.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Well, I decided to do Grafs. I added a Lee taper crimp die to the order to go with the RCBS set I've used for the past 15 years. Thanks for everybody's input.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    If you can spend the extra dollars at this time then it would behove you to buy the following items. The strong mount, bullet tray, and case tray set up. These items will help make your loading faster and easier.
    Ditto on what cajun shooter said, makes it a pleasure to reload.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for Brian Enos. He has some great info at his site for making decisions on what to buy, he'll pick up the freight charges (drop shipped from Dillon) if you spend over $400 (as mentioned above) and offers a discount on the package described by cajun shooter.

While there, you can buy any additional accessories (tool heads, powder dies and caliber conversions for other calibers, etc...) and get them included in your free shipping.

He seems to ship the same or next day, so you'll get your stuff quickly.

Dwarf

Note on Strong Mount

The height at which you load will affect whether or not you need the strong mount. I did not get one because I use a low bench and sit in a rolling office chair ($1.50 at a surplus store in Alamogordo, NM - couldn't pass on that one ); the strong mount would put it too high. I do have a high work bench that it would be appropriate for, but I like my old setup. I used a plywood base to mate it to the bench with 1/4" bolts so I can move it if I want (hasn't moved in 10 years). Great gear, unbeatable in all respects, IMHO - my 2 cents.
    Maj, USAF (ret)
    Member, SCV
    Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
    Benefactor Member, NRA

"A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    - Gen George S. Patton