RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Zinc Removal with Sulfur Report

Boolit Buddy
    hydrochloric acid reacts much faster than sulfuric acid with zinc. Infact, zinc+HCl reacts to produce lots of hydrogen gas. So be careful working in closed areas.

Boolit Master
    Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. Draino is sodium hydroxide, a very strong base, not an acid Battery acid is sulphuric.

Jerry Liles

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I've put Muriatic Acid on some slag I thought had some zinc in it and it sizzled pretty good.
    Hmm, wouldn't that give off Hydrogen?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. Draino is sodium hydroxide, a very strong base, not an acid Battery acid is sulphuric.

Jerry Liles
    The Doc said "Rooto", not "draino". Draino is Lye. Rooto is sulfuric acid.

Muriatic acid is a certain percentage solution of hyrochloric acid (diluted).

Gear

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Percentage is about 35 percent. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Thanks, Felix.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone been brave enough to continue with the experiments?

Stick Ons - Zinc?!?

Just picked up a bucket of WW from the tire place. As I was emptying my carry bucket, I noticed that there was a large amount of the stick on WWs.

Does anyone know - are the stick ons Zinc? Guessing they may be. If anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate it. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    Just picked up a bucket of WW from the tire place. As I was emptying my carry bucket, I noticed that there was a large amount of the stick on WWs.

Does anyone know - are the stick ons Zinc? Guessing they may be. If anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate it. Thanx
    The stick ons are most likely pure lead. Squeeze them with a pair of side cutters and you will know right away.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Anyone been brave enough to continue with the experiments?
    I was debating on it. I was thinking about taking 2 zinc weights and mixing it with say 40 lead weights and then taking 1/2 of the mix and performing the whole procedure. Then taking the 2 samples and sending them to Rotometals for analysis. I have not decided if it is worth the $158.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post

Use the side cutter method to check the stick-ons. About 20% of the stick-ons I have gotten recently WERE zinc. I'm also running into a lot more Fe stick-ons but they're pretty easy to spot as they seem to be shaped like little rectangle blocks.. I've had several zinc stick-ons that look the same as lead weights, so I suggest you use care with the stick-ons.

Oddly I haven't been getting very many clip-on zincs, but many more Fe clop-ons.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Thanx guys

Sounds like nothing is absolute! Guess I will get to drink a lot of beer as i sort thru 6 gal of WWs! Thanx

In Remembrance
    "Of particular interest to the bullet caster are calcium, aluminum and zinc -- all of which are difficult to reduce and all of which cause casting problems if present in any significant amount (they muck up the surface tension of the alloy and prevent the alloy from filling out the mould properly). As the sawdust chars, it can be thought of as a kind of activated carbon. Both the lignin's of the original sawdust and the oxygenated sites of the activated carbon are very effective at binding metal ions like calcium, aluminum and zinc. Thus, the advantage of sawdust is that it does both jobs, returning the tin to the melt and removing the problematic impurities. Sawdust has the added benefit of being free."
    http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I used this method this week and it worked well. I did use a respirator and it was fine unless you really get a strong whiff. I would add this info to anyone trying this, Let the sulpher mix sit after you have stirred in your sawdust or flux. My first batch i removed the slurry as soon as the sawdust stopped smoking. I think I may have removed more lead than was necessary. The second batch I allowed to sit a little bit (3-5 min) and the slag formed a kind of hollow crust with lots of pretty colors. This crust was a lot lighter than the first batch. My boolits then came out of the melt much better looking and my melt pot only had a very light skin of purple on the top after the process instead of the heavy oatmeal and colors.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arcticbreeze View Post
    The stick ons are most likely pure lead. Squeeze them with a pair of side cutters and you will know right away.
    In my last batch of wheel weights, I had some stick-on ones that were steel.

Boolit Master
    I went to the feed store yesterday. a 50# of 100% sulfur was $29. That ought to last me a while. If the weather cooperates I plant to try this next week.

Now if I could only find saltpeter that cheap.

Boolit Master

Dang Rich, what was that store? It is about $1.50 a pound in 25-50 pound lots around here!

Testing metal

If you mail in the samples together We will test up to 5 different pieces for the one flat rate of $69
    http://www.rotometals.com/Metals-Ana...sting-s/59.htm

I was debating on it. I was thinking about taking 2 zinc weights and mixing it with say 40 lead weights and then taking 1/2 of the mix and performing the whole procedure. Then taking the 2 samples and sending them to Rotometals for analysis. I have not decided if it is worth the $158.

Boolit Master

I would hazard to guess that the end result is that it doesn't matter if you have zinc or not in your alloy if you are able to cast good bullets with whatever you have. Of course, I suspect that once you have zinc in your alloy, the likelihood of you casting good bullets is somewhat reduced... I would be interested in hearing about people who have tried casting with alloys that were significantly zinc contaminated and they were using a very hot pot... If you get it hot enough, does the zinc-lead alloy still have problems with fill-out?
    Last edited by grumman581; 04-27-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread. Made me get out my copy of "The Handbook of Commercial Bullet Casting" by Paul Moore. He uses sulfur to remove COPPER. For metal contaminated with zinc, aluminum or calcium, he says the removal process is difficult and dangerous and declines to give further details. Says it is too easy to generate highly toxic fumes. His suggestion is to dilute contaminated metal with good metal. Start with a ten to one ratio.
    His method for refining the metal before casting is to dry dross with sawdust, then clean with caustic, sodium hydroxide at 700-800 degrees. Be careful as sodium hydroxide is hygroscopic (adsorbs water). He puts it on the top of the melt and leaves it until melted, without stirring. Stirs after it has melted. Finally removes the caustic with charcoal. I haven't tried this yet but be careful.
    Bruce

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast