Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Boolit storage?

Question Boolit storage?

I just cast my first boolits a couple of days ago and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to store future boolits. Right now I'm using some old bullet boxes, but that won't work for the quantities I need to keep my Dillon 650 fed when I start loading them since I only have a few small ones.

What do you guys use?
    Machinists do it with precision.

Boolit Man
    Empty coffee cans

They don't get dinged up? I'd have to find some coffee cans...none here since I don't drink coffee.

Boolit Buddy
    As long as your not moving them around a lot, almost anything works. I use coffee cans, heavy cardboard boxes, ammo cans, Garage sale tupperware, christmas cookie and fruitcake(yuk) tins. Pretty much whatever is handy. You can go to a restaurant and aks for empty cans, no lids but for free. #10 = 3lb coffee can

Boolit Mold
    I use the military 30 caliber ammo cans. A can full is about all that I can lift. Never had a problem with dinging the bullets; I use wheelweights with added 2% tin. Also, the ammo cans keep the bullets from oxidizing (corroding) and they stay shiny for years.

I use coffee cans

I live in a 47 unit condo building and watch the trash room closely for recycling. I have scrounged 2 LARGE cardboard boxes full of coffee cans (plastic or metal) with lids and store all my cast in those. They keep for some time.
    Also those large kittly litter boxes with lids make great brass storage containers.

I keep mine in ammo cans: Air and moisture tight. Also, I can stack them around 4-5 high comfortably. I have between 3-5 cans for each calibers. Before closing the lid, I would leave the can open out in the sun for several hours to reduce the amount of moisture on the boolits then before closing it shut, I would throw in to VCI chips to absorb O2.

If you plan to store your boolits for a long while, moisture and oxygen will somewhat discolor the boolits over a period of time. I once bought an ammo can full with 38's at a garage sale back in the 1970's and at that time, the woman that sold it to me told me that the grandfather used to cast boolits when she was a child (the woman at that time was in her 40's --- in the 1970's) Well from the 1970's and who knows how long she had it sitting in her garage to 2007 when I opened it, the boolits were just as shiney as the day they were made. On the bottom of the can was this paper like the ones machinests would use to wrap their finished products. A mechanic friend of mine told me that it was VCI paper used to ward off oxygen and keep iron from rusting. Midway USA and Brownells sells these as CVI chips.
    Last edited by largecaliberman; 09-17-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Explanation
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Boolit Grand Master

I got tired of all the different containes and it makes them hard to stack. I got some of those disposable plastic containers that are microwaveable. They are fairly cheap and strong and stack good. They come in a assortment of sizes for your needs. I still use some other containers like coffee cans too.
    Aim small, miss small!

I need more ammo cans anyway for brass/ammo storage so I guess I'll buy extras. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Cool containers

If you need small ones, there's salsa jars, small cottage cheese containers and potato salad containers, if you snack from the convenience store. lol.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    One-hundred boolits per plasic bag, inside steel 3-pound coffee cans, printed label with pertinent info, i.e. mould manufacturer and number, weight, nose and base configuration, etc.

Boolit Master

Empty peanut butter jars- clear, plastic, and easily stackable is another possibility.
    The new oblonged mayo "jars" are good too.
    I like to keep my containers small for convenience sake- they can get too heavy you know.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    For anyone that lives close enough to me in northern Minn. I can get large sheets of heavy cardboard suitable for making bullet boxes. The sheets are about 3.5ft square, an about twice as thick as the cover on a spiral notebook. I can get 6-boxes 6"long+4"wide+2"high out of one sheet. I could also give you the pattern i use.
    I don't know of any way to mail them so you would have to pick them up at my place. If interested PM me

Boolit Master

4" layer then a cardboard seperator until full in 5 gal buckets .

stored real close!!!LOL
    Last edited by GP100man; 09-17-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: addition & spelun
    GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    For anyone that lives close enough to me in northern Minn. I can get large sheets of heavy cardboard suitable for making bullet boxes. The sheets are about 3.5ft square, an about twice as thick as the cover on a spiral notebook. I can get 6-boxes 6"long+4"wide+2"high out of one sheet. I could also give you the pattern i use.
    I don't know of any way to mail them so you would have to pick them up at my place. If interested PM me
    Sheets that size would make excellent targets for patterning a shotgun, wish I was closer.

Boolit Master
    I cull my rifle boolits pretty severely, and by time I have them sized and lubed I want to store them properly. Buy the Dillon or Berry 100 round pistol ammo plastic boxes with the hinged lids to match boolit size/length. They stack great, don't weigh too much to handle with one hand if need be; and they are easy to label and stack on shelves. I store my unlubed ones in the plastic coffee cans like a lot of you.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I like to shop the dollar store for my boolit storage needs.
    Pick up some gladware/plastic ware and you're good to go. Seals, stacks - Perfect!
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Grand Master
    Heavy plastic storage containers. Also use industrial soap containers,heavy plastic with lids.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still looking for something with a truly flat bottom so I can stack boolits. Old cigar boxes are a thing of the past, I'm afraid. Or at least for me, I quit 36 years ago.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!