RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: polishing iron

Boolit Master

Question polishing iron

Whats the best way to polish a cast iron mold? my RCBS 30 165 sil casts well but makes some rough finished boolits. thanks ...Buck

Super Moderator

............Buck1, RCBS moulds are cherry cut so I guess you must mean radial lines in the boolit's surface? Really not just a whole bunch you can do. You could put some mild abrasive on a few cast boolits from that mould and spin them, but the abrasive would act almost as much on the low spots as the high, as it's moving in the same manner the cherry did.

If they fall from the mould and are round, I'd just let it go. It's just cosmetics afterall.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot
    ............Buck1, RCBS moulds are cherry cut so I guess you must mean radial lines in the boolit's surface? Really not just a whole bunch you can do. You could put some mild abrasive on a few cast boolits from that mould and spin them, but the abrasive would act almost as much on the low spots as the high, as it's moving in the same manner the cherry did.

If they fall from the mould and are round, I'd just let it go. It's just cosmetics afterall.

.................Buckshot
    Thanks Buckshot. they are fine, but as you said they are full of lines. you make a good point about polishing the high and low spots. I had not concidered that. I will just leave it the way it is. thanks for your help! ....Buck