RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lathesmith's Star dies

Boolit Buddy

Bridgeton, RI ( the conservative corner of the libtard state)

Thumbs up Lathesmith has good ol' pride in workmanship!!

I just had a pleasant supprise in my mailbox, a small parcel from Missouri!
    Upon opening and examining the dies, nuts, and top punch, all I can say is Lathesmith's products ooze of awesome workmanship! I will be in touch again for more dies and punches. They look more professional than factory, can't wait to try them out.
    All I can say is that I am more than happy!
    Thanks, Lathesmith.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

lathesmith if I had a lubra-sizer unit to accept them could you make a larger size version of the Star dies. Basically 1.000" outside diameter instead of the standard 0.750" outside diameter (not counting the flange). I'm thinking Euro 15-mm caliber, 20ga. full bore slugs (0.625"), and 12ga. full bore slugs (0.730") lubra-sizer capabilities.

Boolit Master
    tommygirlMT, yes, it wouldn't be a problem to make a scaled-up version, though the cost would be a bit higher. That would be one heckuva sizer, a nice heavy-duty unit for sure!
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    tommygirlMT,

would you mind telling us about this bigger lube die? I'd be very interested if it is feasible, since I currently cast up thru .585" boolits and have a 10 gauge double rifle under construction along with a 700H&H.

thanks, and welcome to the forum

Rich
    4-bore shooter

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

OK Guys and Gals,

Noobie idiot question time. I have a used Star Coming, no dies, What do I need to order to do 38 and 38-55, I know two dies, But what else do I need?

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master
    Sam,
    All you need besides your dies is a punch, if your used sizer doesn't have one. One punch should work fine for both 38's and 38-55's.You probably should throw in a nut too for good measure, it helps hold your punch setting.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Thanks you sir,

Will get the Bullets sent to you this week, Been really busy trying to get ready for Katie's new Colt that is being delivered Saturday. Any luck on the 7mm X 1.0 screw.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can you help a rookie?
    What is the benefit of the snap ring as opposed to the standard flange?
    Previous post got this right (snap ring is cheaper) but those who have not done machine work might not understand why this is so:

To make the flanged design, lathesmith has to start with a piece of stock the diameter of the flange, and then turn down the rest of the die to the main body diameter. Thus there is more stock to buy, and more machine time to turn it down. More wear on the cutting tool, more chips to clean up, and a little more chance of something going wrong in machining causing a scrapped part.

With the snap ring, the stock starts out at or very near the finished body diameter, and only the small groove for the ring needs to be cut. Snap rings are very cheap when purchased in quantity.

Now if the usage were such that the die were heavily stressed, then the snap ring groove might weaken the die enough to be a problem. But if you are not bending the handle on the sizer then this should be a non-issue.

Why didn't Star use a snap-ring in the origional design? I can only guess:

-One more part to buy, to cause production delay if the vendor misses shipment.

-One more part for a low wage worker to install wrong. One more part for the customer to break or lose, and be unhappy and have to be dealt with.

-No place to stamp the die diameter so it can be read while installed in the press.

-And most likely of all: Nobody* thought of it! In truth, most engineering can be improved on to one degree or another. Most engineers have never made a part on a lathe. Once a design works and is in production, Engineering is focused on new products, and the factory is focused on meeting production targets.

*Actually, there probably were several machinists that thought of it. It is a rare company where management pays attention to ideas of the machinists and other line workers. After being ignored and told to get back to work a few times, they learn to keep their ideas to themselves....then eventually they go off and start their own businesses and use such ideas to kick butt like lathesmith is doing.

Boolit Mold

Smile

got my die today good work and my top punch and nut
    thanks a bunch

Boolit Mold
    PM sent from a Noob

Boolit Master
    justcharlie, thanks for the note, and arjuna, check your PM's, there's one on the way. kevbo, another interesting take on an eternal question that casters everywhere wonder about; kinda reminds one of the "chicken or the egg" conundrum, eh?

lathesmith

I need dedicated dies for these molds. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58158 and http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50115 and http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=62184&page=5 with this info:
    Re: LBT 41 group buy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mold #1
    4 cavity
    250gr
    Bullet diameter .410
    WFN
    PB
    # of lube grooves 1
    Crimp Groove yes
    Gun to be used in (Helps Veral set the bullet up for your particular use. Include firearm make and model. For determining the crimp groove placement unless specificed.): S&W 657, Ruger Blackhawk and T/C Contender

mold #2
    2cavity
    340gr
    Bullet diameter .412
    LFN
    PB
    # of lube grooves 2
    crimp groove yes
    Gun to be used in (Helps Veral set the bullet up for your particular use. Include firearm make and model. For determining the crimp groove placement unless specificed.): S&W 657, Ruger Blackhawk and T/C Contender, T/C Encore, rifle

I also may need a .224, .225, .228 and .338 dies punches and lock nuts.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

[image]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z213/cobleeze/animatedgif1.gif[/image]

Boolit Master
    McKee,
    Please check your PM's, I can fix you up with all the sizes you need. I'm having a little trouble locating any info on mold #2, the 2-groove 340 grain 412. I need an approximate center-to-center lube groove distance to properly set up this die for you. Any help or suggestions on where to find this info from some of you guys that have dealt with LBT or this particular design would be greatly appreciated!

lathesmith

Boolit Mold
    Lathesmith, Can you make a punch and die for a Saeco? I have the older black one, well actually I'm getting a little ahead of myself as I just bought it and am waiting for it to arrive but...trying to get prepared...
    I need a set to fit a mold I've order from the 452-230gr HP group buy.

Let me know the particulars...

This entire site is awesome...have been learning tons !!! Thanks to everyone that has contributed...!

Thanks !

Boolit Master
    jon, at the moment I am not making Saecos's, although I can make you a custom size if you need it. PM me if you can't find what you need, and I'll see what I can do.

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Hi Chris,

Need another die .378/clip type/HT/3 row.
    Invoice me @jon_k@ca.rr.com.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    Got it Jon, thanks.

lathesmith

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought a used Star with a bunch of dies I won't use. Can you open them up to a dia. that I can use, and how much? Thanks

Boolit Master
    rockrat, thanks for asking, but since these dies are hardened and step-drilled, it usually isn't time or cost effective for me or you to alter them for you. While there are exceptions, I generally prefer not to do this most of the time.

Thanks,
    lathesmith

Boolit Mold

Star dies

I know most about what you make, but not how to order from you. What's your e-mail address? I have an original Star I bought in the early 60's and now get dies from Magnaengineering. I would like to try yours. My e-mail address is jtwhitlaw@aol.com

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast