WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hog hunt need harder bullet

hog hunt need harder bullet

I went hog hunting yesterday a got one. I got the 200puonder at about 60yds in heavy brush. It made two or three steps and went down. the round did a good number on the heart and lungs, but did not pass through. It went from just behind the neck through the ribs went through the heart and lung and then hit the off side leg and went to peices. Fount the gas check and thats all no exit. I'm using a 1895gs in 45-70 with 464gr cast bullet made from ww. If I was to water drop them would this help or do I need to do something else?

congrats on the hog and from what I have learned here water dropping will make them harder but there is probably someone here that can explain it better
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

I'm using 37gr of IMR 4198. If that helps eny.

Moderator Emeritus

Made two or three steps and dropped, What, ya want it to get in the truck for ya?

Shot angle, fps, boolit weight etc has a lot to do with penetration (sounds like what you're looking for).
    If it works, dont fix it.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Cast Boolits Owner

I am curious why you think you need a harder boolit. If your current boolit shatters now then maybe you need something a little softer. You are using a gas checked design so running it a little softer should not be adverse to your needs plus being a little softer would give some expansion and help prevent the bullet from breaking up. It does not have to exit the animal to kill it.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds to me like he wants a harder boolit, b/c all he can find is the gas check. How many of us enjoy eating lead? Hmmm? raise your hand? K, thought so..

My line of thinking is if the bullet comes apart it must need to be harder. I like to get a pass through. My milphat is .35 so expansion is no bid deal to me, i feel with the size of the bullet that should transfer alot of energe to take the beasts out. I got a deer last year it made a 2" hole in both sides. I'd like to do the same on hogs. The place I hunt is being over run with hogs this year and I'd like to thin them down.

bisley45--"congrats on the hog and from what I learned here water dropping will make them harder. " Nah they get softer just like you do when you take a bath. Might make them more tender--but I doubt you'd notice any difference and getting a hog in water is difficult.

ha ha ha good one

Boolit Buddy
    Two or three steps and down for the count. You can't ask for much better than that. Even "J" bullets can break up. If you want harder try water dropping or heat treating your WW bullets. After either of these treatments, your WW bullets will be harder but still ductile. Going to a harder alloy ie: linotype will give you harder bullets but they will likely shatter/fragment. IMHO, keep on doin' what you're doin'. If it's working why try to fix it? Congratulations on gett'n your hog.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

anachronism
    Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    I am curious why you think you need a harder boolit. If your current boolit shatters now then maybe you need something a little softer. You are using a gas checked design so running it a little softer should not be adverse to your needs plus being a little softer would give some expansion and help prevent the bullet from breaking up. It does not have to exit the animal to kill it.

Robert
    This is my train of thought too. For what it's worth, it's not uncommon for a bullet of any construction to not penetrate completely on thick hided game. Many times the bullet will be found just under the skin on the off side. This is usually due to the hide stretching away from the animals body but not breaking, preventing the bullets escape. When you say that the bullet went to pieces, did it actually shatter, or is the gascheck all you found of the bullet?

I couldn't find eny of my bullet at all just some dust on the leg bone no exit at all. after it broke the off side leg it disapeared couldn't find eny lead at all just that little dust on the leg bone.

You can always try the milk jug experment, collect 10 1 gal milk jugs, fill them with water, , put 5 back to back, and shoot them with your air colled bullet, now shoot the other 5 with a bullet you either water quenced or heat treated. Not as good as balistic jell, but a hell of a lot cheaper and it will give you good idea of the effects of a harder bullet
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

thank I'll try that. I did do a red clay bank test it did well might be the bone?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dead is dead. I wouldn't mess with it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

HONCHO EMERITUS

Try 50% Wheelweight (clip ons) and 50% Pure Lead (stick ons), water dropped from the mold. Let them set no more than 24 hrs before you install gas checks & run them through the lube-sizer.

Then let them sit at least a couple of weeks to harden; and 2 months is even better. The alloy hardness will stabilize around 20-22 BHN; but they will not be anywhere near as brittle as water dropped straight (clip on) wheelweight alloy.

I have personally had this alloy up to 2200 fps in my .444 Marlin with no leading. Accuracy is excellant in everything from plinking loads in the 1500-1800 fps range up to full snort hunting loads.

I learned about this alloy for hunting boolits from 45 2.1, BaBore, and 357Maximum. I have not killed an animal with this alloy yet; but they have many to their credit shooting 50-50 at everything from deer to bison.

Shoot them a PM if you don't believe me; but I think this alloy is the answer to your problem.

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 09-14-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Quote Originally Posted by carpet man View Post
    basely--"congrats on the hog and from what I learned here water dropping will make them harder. " Noah they get softer just like you do when you take a bath. Might make them more tender--but I doubt you'd notice any difference and getting a hog in water is difficult.
    Man I had to read that 3 times to figure out what you were talking about. and I was talking about the booooolit but it does look like I ment the hog.
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Cast Boolits Owner

If your boolit turns to dust when it hits bone then it is too hard. Try the 50/50 thing and I believe you will be much happier.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In Remembrance

I don't think the boolit turned to dust, but must have been turned by the bone and was lost in the stomach or elsewhere. I've hit rocks with WW boolits and they don't break up much. If they are water dropped then they are even tougher. I don't think they would be too hard water dropped, but as has been said, the results you got were not bad. If you want penetration, water drop. If you want expansion, use 50/50.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    Try 50% Wheelweight (clip ons) and 50% Pure Lead (stick ons), water dropped from the mold. Let them set no more than 24 hrs before you install gas checks & run them through the lube-sizer.

Then let them sit at least a couple of weeks to harden; and 2 months is even better. The alloy hardness will stabilize around 20-22 BHN; but they will not be anywhere near as brittle as water dropped straight wheelweight alloy.

I have personally had this alloy up to 2200 fps in my .444 Marlin with no leading. Accuracy is excellant in everything from plinking loads in the 1500-1800 fps range up to full snort hunting loads.

I learned about this alloy for hunting boolits from 45 2.1 and BaBore. I have not killed an animal with this alloy yet; but they have many to their credit shooting 50-50 at everything from deer to bison.

Shoot them a PM if you don't believe me; but I think this alloy is the answer to your problem.

Hope this helps,

Read what Matt wrote above over a few times. YOU DO NOT NEED A HARDER BOOLIT. If you need anything you need a TOUGHER/MORE MALLABLE boolit. The wd50/50 thing will do it for you.

wd50/50 flat out git r done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast