MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hog hunt need harder bullet

Boolit Master

If I was using a boolit that heavy in my 45/70 for hogs, I'd use pure lead and paper patch it. If I didn't paper patch, I'd try a 50/50 mix of WW and pure lead and air cool it. If I didn't get excessive leading at that level, thats what I'd use.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Banned

358-180 Larson FP retrieved fom a 140 yard anglin in brisket shot...recovered in the offside ribcage under the hide:

tcrocker,
    Heck varmit hunters have long searched for the elusive 100% energy transfer round!
    Less pelt damage to a hog is not really an issue...
    You have found the perfect set up for hogs. Any time you can transfer 100% of the energy from a 45-70 into a hog you have done something.

357 Max,
    Is that a 357 Max in the T/C with the deer?

I'm a long time fan and shooter of the 357 Max. I've got the Ranch Dog 359-190 to cast up for this years season.

Ken TN
    Ken TN

NRA Handgun Instructor and Endowment Member
    IHMSA, SASS, NRA Field Pistol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken TN View Post
    tcrocker,

357 Max,
    Is that a 357 Max in the T/C with the deer?

I'm a long time fan and shooter of the 357 Max. I've got the Ranch Dog 359-190 to cast up for this years season.

Ken TN

All critters in them photos were taken with my MGM made 15 inch custom encore in 357Maximum with one 180- 200 grain cast boolit or another....most were with the Glenn Larson 358-180. My southern Michigan legal "PEESTOL" flat out gets r did. My longest shot was 240 ish yards...that would be the buck with the backhoe in the pic. All loads contained a big dose of Viht N-120 and a rem 7.5 sparkplug. All deer (I have shot a few does with it also) I have shot have been one shot bang/flops or 80 yard lung hit sprints O' death. I too am rather fond of the 357Maximum.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    ................ YOU DO NOT NEED A HARDER BOOLIT. If you need anything you need a TOUGHER/MORE MALLABLE boolit. The wd50/50 thing will do it for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 09-14-2009 at 02:25 AM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master

357Maximum;
    Those are NICE deer.

Tcrocker;
    I agree with the above regarding 50/50 WW/pure lead. Just for the record, I MUCH prefer total penetration. Every now and then I have run into an animal that doesn't recognize that it is dead and runs off (even when well hit). A "through and through" ALWAYS leaves a nice blood trail for a quick "trail up". A more malleable bullet SHOULD penetrate better.

Congratulations on getting your hog, even with the "inferior" bullet

Dale53

Banned

im of the other school of thought. Ive done a ton of penetration testing and a bullet that deforms, even a small ammount will suffer in penetration. a bullet casted to be maluable will deform. If your bullet deformed and didnt penetrate you need to go harder. Personaly im not a fan of water dropping. In our tests it has caused more fractured bullets then a bullet that is alloyed to get hardness. A good alloy for full power 4570s is 5050 ww/lino. Even strainght linotype will not fracture (at least it hasnt in penetration testing or on game as big as 1200 lbs for me) unless velocitys get over 2000 fps. the only bullets ive seen fracture were swcs cast of of water dropped ww. They tend to break off at the juction of the nose and first driving band. I did witness this happen at the linebaugh seminar to some lfns that were comercialy casted using water dropping too but it hasnt happened to any lfns ive casted. Pigs for there size can be a real test of penetration. Ive seen them stop just about every brand of jacketed handgun bullets. In my hunting experience there much tougher on bullets then even black bear. Another way to get around your problem is to back off a bit on velocity. A 405 at 1200-1500 fps will kill any animal on the planet if the alloy is right and you put the bullet where it belongs. Any faster then that and your really taxing any lead alloy.

Boolit Master
    Considering how far in that bullet went in I'd say that alloy is a winner. Congrats...
    I hope I can do as well if I find a spot to hunt.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Tin and/or copper will toughen a lead alloy. 50/50 lead /WWs heat treated or water dropped will expand well at 2000 - 2200 fps.. As you've said that you aren't looking for expansion, either straight wheelweights, or 50/50 will do 'er.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

http://Here is a pic of the beast. It was a joint kill acording to Katlin after I shot it and it was in the death throws she thought it would get up so she shot it with her 243win in the spine so I shot it and she killed it.

From you're description, I agree that the boolit was somewhere in the guts and that's why you didn't find it.

I would leave well enough alone. I've got some 356 Winchester hunting loads made up that use a ww alloy (air cooled) boolit - 250 Saeco gc that I'm going to use without hesitation.

Plain old air cooled ww alloy makes a great hunting boolit alloy.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Quote Originally Posted by tcrocker View Post
    http://Here is a pic of the beast. It was a joint kill acording to Katlin after I shot it and it was in the death throws she thought it would get up so she shot it with her 243win in the spine so I shot it and she killed it.
    You married well, a wife who will hunt with you. Keep her around and buy her nice things every now and again!

I live in Alabama I'm wasn't born here. That's my daughter

Banned
    I dont agree that you need a softer bullet. I like 'em real hard and as fast as you can stand to drive them. I think you just missed the slug in the guts or somewhere or more than likely flat missed the exit hole.

I use water dropped slugs cast from straight wheel weights out of both a 44mag rifle and pistols on hogs. I have never, ever, not had a complete pass through. In fact, the only slug that I ever recovered had passed through one hog's head, the rump of another and bounced off a metal feeder leg behind them. Entrance is always about caliber size, exit is always about half the caliber size.

i have yet to find a mould that will cast proper size for my 45-70 out of straight wheel weights, or I'd be using it too.

I have not had a chance to chase any hogs in a year or so........ this working all the time SUCKS. loads range from 10 gr unique to full charges of 296........ 250-255 gr slugs. Me and my two boys taken more than a couple of them.

Straight wheel weights and water dropped for me.
    Last edited by chaos; 09-16-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Chaos I use a NEI mold that casts .460 works great in my Marlin just add lube , gas check and shoot.

Boolit Master

I have shot literally hundreds of hogs with jacketed or semi-jacketed bullets and have seen maybe two or three complete pass-throughs. No experience with cast yet but I am anxious to learn which alloy performs the best.

anachronism
    One thing confuses me. If the bullet shattered, I would have expected to see it closer to the entrance would, than on the far side of the animal. The bullet would have slowed considerably by the time it reached the far side of the pig and would have been less likely to shatter at that point.

I think.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me get this straight, the boolit destroyed the heart/lung area, hit a bone at the nuckle, and probably turned and entered the body cavity. How do you want this changed? Just don't hit the bone at the joint and I don't think you will have any problem!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Harder bullet.........

Congrats on your hog. Sounds like sausage and ham for breakfast!

I'm not an expert by any means but it appears that your bullet did what it was supposed to (short of breaking apart).

I would suggest adding some linotype to your mix; maybe 15 to 1 and see how that works. It works well in my Marlin 357 levergun.

Just food for thought.................Mmmmmm, all I can think about now is BBQ!

HiVelocity

Banned

I think you need to kill a few more for a reliable test result.

Hogs are tough critters, (hmm where have you heard that before )

I'd say you had good results, that sure is a bruiser you have there.

I'd either change alloy as stated above, or kill another and then see what your results are. Change as you feel the need.

(oh yea, better bring the 243 along as a back up for the wounded ones.... )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast