RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 45-70 Where is best accuracy found?

Banned
    You're doing great. With a cast boolit I'm trying to go slower. I want it where I lay it in the rest, it goes "pop" and hits exactly what the crosshairs were on. I can click whereever I want it to go.

Banned
    Jestergrin says
    Ranch Dog 350Gr RNFP GC /Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 100 Yards. Bottom two sighters top three for group.
    I'm going to load that. How much H322?

Frank I would not shoot my load in a Pistol lol. In the GS it does THUMP lol.

I use the Ranch Dog 350Gr with a Remington Case with 52.OGr of H-322 and a Fed 210 primer. But since not every gun is the same I would try 51.5 52.O and 52.5 and see what you get. But I will add when I make up rounds I sort the Bullets by weight. And the norm is with in 1Gr or less.

Sorry as I have to add this. This load I use for hunting as I do not make low end loads for plinking with this rifle I save that stuff for the .44 Mag and .357 Mag Marlins.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 12-09-2009 at 03:47 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned
    Thanks. I was going to try your load in my Marlin to see what you're doing.

Banned
    Jester, you're right. It was windy, but 52 grns was good.

Frank I am glad you did well with the load. And sorry I am more of a rifle shooter not a pistolero like ole 44Man lol.

As you can tell from post 13 my norm for that load is under 1 in at 100 yards but most of the time 3/4 of an inch or less. BUT I make all of my loads in groups by weight of the bullet within .01Gr.

But since I have changed the type of scope I use the norm is now right at 1 in or a hair over. For the groups I posted I used a standard set up scope of a 3 X 9 but it met my eye one too many times and got tired of blood running down my face lol. So I now use a scout set up with a 2 X 7. And I LIKE IT and my face does as well lol.

But not being a pistolero is all my fault lol. Growing up I never had much use for a pistol of any kind as it was drilled into me that a pistol is something you use when you are saying Oh Sh_T lol. Which means you made many mistakes to get to the point you have to use a pistol then a knife and so on.

Frank I do hope that load did not hurt too much?
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 12-18-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned
    Load testing. 28 was like 27. What's with the flier? It was windy, front left to right. I think the bag needed more dusting.

Frank I am not sure of your question? But I will say when I have a clean barrel the norm would be to waste the first one or two rounds then shoot for a group. If I am happy with the group and since I am going to hunt with it I do not clean the bore till hunting season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Load testing. 28 was like 27. What's with the flier? It was windy, front left to right. I think the bag needed more dusting.

For Hunting I am very happy with the scout scope set up with my 2 X 7 long eye relief pistol scope. You might laugh but it is the NxStar 2 X 7 and it works great. And has held up just fine so far.

Banned
    I meant my flier. Your groups are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I meant my flier. Your groups are great.
    Frank I understood flyer but you did not mention the load.

But as I said I found from a brand new clean barrel I have had a first round flyer so for the first round from a clean barrel I shoot one or two off of the target. And I let the rifle sit about 3 min between each round when the temp is around 70F.

If I leave the barrel dirty I normally do not have a bad first round flyer in my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70.

But my Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag I will not even go there lol.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234