Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: A good trip to the gunshop yesterday

Red face A good trip to the gunshop yesterday

I took a long lunch break yesterday & went to a gun store a had not been to for a couple of months. Bad idea for the the budget. He still had a Star model Super I had looked at last time. SSaid he would make me a deal on it today. Well a deal it was, got the pistol, extra mag & 5 boxes of 9 largo for less than call the wife money. Now I have to buy some dies for it. He also had a 357 max 14" contender barrel that I put on layaway. And to think I just went to pick up some IMR4064 for the Garand.

Boolit Master

Good on ya!
    You got to strike while the iron is hot!
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Did you get the 4064 or are you saving it for next trip?

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Did you get the 4064 or are you saving it for next trip?
    Well since I ran outa cash I will have to go back & get it . and he didn't have any in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Might want to reconsider that .357 Max. I heard that Ruger discontinued it after flame cutting of the top strap above the cylinder/barrel junction was found to be a problem. There were more rumors about erosion of the forcing cone. Of course, if the pistol you're looking at is in good shape, and you're just going to shoot lead boolits in it anyway, you won't likely have those kinds of problems.

Boolit Master

The Contender barrel won't be subject to that problem.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master

Gas cutting

Ah, but the Contender doesn't have that problem. Hmmm....
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraWhiskeyMC View Post
    Might want to reconsider that .357 Max. I heard that Ruger discontinued it after flame cutting of the top strap above the cylinder/barrel junction was found to be a problem. There were more rumors about erosion of the forcing cone. Of course, if the pistol you're looking at is in good shape, and you're just going to shoot lead boolits in it anyway, you won't likely have those kinds of problems.
    YOU HEARD WRONG. In real world use the problem starts and then stops...it only goes so deep and it stops. The problem was people thinking they had a 140grain 357swift not the guns themselves. With any 158+ boolit/bullet the issue is moot. I have played with a few rugers and dans that have seen extensive use ...much adoo doo about nothin, puked out by know it all gunrag writers and then regurgitated over and over by those that have never even touched one.

More apt to have issue (accuracy) with the original TC contenders looong forcing cone than any revolver ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by autofix4u View Post
    Now I have to buy some dies for it.

I've just used my standard 9mm Luger dies for years to feed my Star A. Just had to adjust them out to compensate for the longer length. One of these days I'll have a washer cut / made to compensate for the difference like the one that came in my set of .38-.357 dies.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by SierraWhiskeyMC View Post
    Flame cutting at the barrel cylinder gap in a T/C???

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I just popped the safe and checked the barrel/cylinder gaps on my T/C barrels, but couldn't find any flame cutting. Wait, let me get my flashlight...

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.