MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 357 herrett

Boolit Master

357 herrett

having gotten a new toy for my contender, a 10 in. 357 herrett bbl., i'm looking for all the info on that cartridge i can find. aanyone shoot c.b.s in that round? i'm cutrious how it would shoot with heavy (250 gr.?) bullets.

Boolit Buddy

357 Herrett

I will recommend to you the RCBS 200 grain. Any number of powders have given good results with this boolit in my T/C Herrett. Also some 180 TCFB from a commercial caster have worked well but can't be pushed as hard as the RCBS.

Kicks like the proverbial mule.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Kicks like the proverbial mule.
    I'm sure it does. I reamed my 357 mag 10" octagon out to be able to seat the group buy C358-180-RF in the crimping groove. It holds more powder, too, so I can push that 190 gr RTL bullet to 1734 fps. But in a 2 1/2 lb pistol, two or three shots was all I needed. I think it could break a fellow's wrist. I settled on a much milder load pushing that bullet to 1484 fps. That's even too much for more than a couple of shots.......

Moderator Emeritus

Its not that bad you guys. I've got contender barrels in 375 Winch and 45-70 that both make the 357s (Herret or Max) look like a pop-gun.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    I've been playing with the 357 Herrett lately too. Here is my conclusion for a 10" barrel:

Hodgen sucks for discontinuing 4227 since 90% of all 357 Herrett data in under this powder. Yes IMR makes one that is "close" IMR4227 but I havent seen anybody tell me it is the same.

125g bullets shoot ok to 100 yards but are worthless past that.

140g Flex tips arent worth trying

158g Berrys plated bullets are the best plinker load over 28g of R7. Your faorite 158 JHP or JPS works the same and shoots to 200 yards just fine.

158g cast need to be slowed to around 1600fps and that 400fps loss hurst the 357 herrett big time.

200g cast are decent overall performers at around 1700fps.

I really want to get my hands on some 180g cast and J-bullets to try in the 1900fps range.

I'm doing a pig hunt in a couple months and havent decided on the 357 herrett barrel or the 45-70 barrel yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    ...Hodgen sucks for discontinuing 4227 since 90% of all 357 Herrett data in under this powder. Yes IMR makes one that is "close" IMR4227 but I havent seen anybody tell me it is the same..
    At this year's Shot Show, JB Hodgdon himself told me it was.

But in my own work with the current made-in-Australia IMR4227, I've found that it's a tad slower than either of the previous 2 versions of 4227. The current 4227 should work nicely in the Herret.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.R.Custom View Post
    At this year's Shot Show, JB Hodgdon himself told me it was.

But in my own work with the current made-in-Australia IMR4227, I've found that it's a tad slower than either of the previous 2 versions of 4227. The current 4227 should work nicely in the Herret.
    Thanks!

Its on my list to pick up but the jug of Reloader 7 I picked up has been doing well so far.

Forgot to mention I shot Sierra 225gs to 250 yards and they shot well but my expansion test at 20 yards was halarious. The tip was mushed a bit but the bullet was practicly shootable. I think on game at over 100 yards the larger bullets will have very little expansion. Cast may do a bit better but I really dont know yet.

Try the Hornady #3505 SSP 180 gr in the 357 Herrett
    Excellent performance out to 200 yd with devastating results
    thin skinned whitetails don't stand a chance!
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Boolit Master
    i called hodgdon too a couple years ago working up a hornet load. yep interchangable....the recoil is not even close to a medium hot 44. to a hot 44 357 herrett feels like a cap gun.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    I recently acquired a 23" 375 JDJ with a machined in muzzle brake. I shot it pistol style and I'll tell you what, it definitely thumps your hand a mite. I think I am going to leave it as a carbine and get a stock set for it. I have a 357 octagon that is chopped at 6". I shoot the 200gr RCBS out of it at around 1600FPS. The muzzle concussion and recoil flip are eye opening. I use it mostly for emptying mystery loads in 357 and 38 special. Though i do keep some of the hot 200s around in case I decide to put an optic on it and hunt deer with it.

Boolit Man
    Cartridges of the World lists Norma 200 as a good powder to try with Hornady 180 SSPS's. Velocity is said to be almost 2200 fps from a 14" barrel. Powder is very similiar to burn rate of Win 680.

I have a pound of this powder and plan on trying it sometime this summer.