PBcastcoInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Heavy Bullet in the 45 ACP

Boolit Master

Heavy Bullet in the 45 ACP

I've loaded a few of the Lee 255gr. RFN for use in my Colt Combat Commander. I'm using 6.0 gr. of Herco and it's traveling 805 fps. Has anyone used a similar load and do you think that load is too heavy? It's almost equivalent to a standard 45 Colt which was my intent but certainly don't want to put too much stress on my pistol.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bore lists a 255 grainer at 970 fps so I'd say 805 is not too hot.

txbirdman,
    I just got back in from shooting about 200 of the Lee 452-255-RNFP out of two of my 1911's
    They were loaded with 5.8gr of Unique. I don't own a chronograph so I don't know how fast they traveling. The two guns I was shooting are my CCW and HD guns and it did not seem that the load was battering the gun. Recoil seemed about the same as hardball loads maybe just a little more. My Detonics/commander has a 20# recoil spring but my full size has a standard recoil spring(16# I think). The Detonics was dropping the fired cases about 3 feet away. the fullsize was ejecting them much further. Part of this was due to 25-35 mph wind catching them and carrying them off. I am thinking about trying a 20# recoil spring in the full size with this load. What are your thoughts on this?
    I did have one failure to feed, I took the round out and look at it. The OAL was noticeably too long. I must have screwed up when seating this round. I need to tighten up on my quality control.
    jmsj

Boolit Master
    I'm not a big fan of the heavy recoil springs. I think a 20# is plenty of spring for a Commander, I thought the stock spring was 18#. I would think your load may be a little hotter than mine so I guess I should be okay. Truth is that my load seems to accomplish what I wanted. I've never been able to approach Buffalo Bore's stats I was just wondering if anyone had used a load similar load to mine over a long period of time without problems.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I like the Lyman 452424 over 4.7 to 5.0 grains of Universal Clays. Out of a 3 3/4 inch barrel I get 780 to 850 fps.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Love Life
    Your fine. I loaded the same boolit for a Kimber Custom TLE II for 4 years and had no problems. I used unique and had no high pressure signs. This boolit will lay deer down at 30 yards at 876 FPS +/-. I also used this boolit to kill those pesty hogs in Corsicana, TX for awhile.

Boolit Master
    My carry load consists of a 454424 (260gr) moving at 870FPS. Its not my every day plinker but it will do what I need it to.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack here, but those who running the 454424 do you seat to the top of the front drive band? Or leave a little exposed much like the 452460 or other swc designs meant for the acp?
    Been wanting to try these in the auto's, just haven't messed with them yet.

Boolit Master

I seat showing a small bit of front driving band. Maybe .020 or so. Most all 45 ACPs have a short to non-existant throat. Means that if your .451 (or more) driving band is out there very far at all it will strike the rifling.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

What OAL do you guys use with the Lee 255gn RF in your 1911's?

I find it makes very nice low recoil loads for shooting major in IPSC competition, but have had some trouble finding the right OAL.

Boolit Master
    OAL of 1.157 works in my Combat Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I've loaded a few of the Lee 255gr. RFN for use in my Colt Combat Commander. I'm using 6.0 gr. of Herco and it's traveling 805 fps. Has anyone used a similar load and do you think that load is too heavy? It's almost equivalent to a standard 45 Colt which was my intent but certainly don't want to put too much stress on my pistol.
    I loaded 250 gr lead boolits meant for the .45Colt using 3.9 gr of BE. OAL 1.887. Avg Vel 735fps. Very soft shooting. SD was 9. Load worked well in my Norinco 1911 5" gun. Another load was 4.1 gr of BE which gave me 783 fps though i noticed the Extreme Spread opened up along with the SD. No pressure signs and again the load was very soft shooting. The Norincos have excellent steel in the frames and slides so I really don't worry to much as far as stress on the gun is concerned.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"