Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Clay Dot Powder question

Clay Dot Powder question

I have finally settled on one powder, ( Hodgdon's Clays), for 12 gauge, .38 Spl and .44 handgun. Now, Clays is getting hard to get and the shop at my Gun Club is stocking Alliant Clay Dot. Alliant is selling it as a direct replacement for Clays.
    The guys are using it Grain for Grain as a replacement for Clays and like it, however, there is only data available for shotgun loads at this time.
    Has anyone used it for other than shotgun? I can't find it on any of the burn rate charts, It must be too new.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Email Alliant for data

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

BTW I have been using it for light to middle pistol loads using Hodgdons load data
    But none of my loads are even close to max

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Quote Originally Posted by nonferrous View Post
    Now, Clays is getting hard to get and the shop at my Gun Club is stocking Alliant Clay Dot.
    Why would they say Clays is getting hard to get? Is something going on with this brand, or is it the general buying hysteria?

Last time I was in my favorite central Ohio gunstore, they had (2) 8 lb jugs and several 1 lb jugs on the shelf. They have pretty much consistently had Clays, even through the hysteria.

Even the local Gander Mountain, not exactly known as a reloaders haven, consistently has Clays on the shelf. I noticed it in stock last week.

Midsouth Shooters Supply, Cabelas, and Natchez Shooters Supply have Clays in stock.

Powder Valley, MidwayUSA, Wideners, and Graf's do not.

Interesting.

As far as your original question, I have no clue but I agree with the suggestion to contact Alliant.
    -Bob

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
    Enduring the Obamination.

Thanks John, I have e-mailed Alliant and said that I would buy an 8 as soon as they can get me the hand gun data.
    My handgun loads are about 10% below max with Clays and are working fine. The guys that are loading 12 gauge are using it grain for grain compared to Clays and see no difference.
    Frog, I do not know what is up, all I know is that they do not seem to be able to get Clays. It's a shame, because it's a great powder and very clean.