Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Went to the junkyard yesterday

Boolit Master

Went to the junkyard yesterday

Stopped in at a local auto salvage yard a couple of weeks ago and asked about WW's. Was told I could get them for 4 cents a pound. Naturally I said I would take everything they had. The owners Dad said it would take a couple of weeks for them to get them gathered.

Well, I went back yesterday and they hadn't had time to get them together. The owner told me I could go out and pull them myself. He also stated he could only give me 1 five gallon bucket full at that price.
    His father hadn't kept up with the prices and they could get 25 cents a pound for them.

So I went out to get my bucket full and let me tell you, that is WAY too much like work!!
    I busted my butt for almost two hours and only got 20 lbs.
    I called it quits. Even if they had been free (which they almost were) it just wasn't worth it. This old dog is just to old and worn out to be moving tires and rims all day long.

I thought I had stumbled into a heck of a deal and it turned out to be a bust.
    Oh well, I'll keep in touch with him. Maybe the going rate will come down and I can get some that are already pulled.
    25 cents a pound is a little rich for my blood. If they drop to 20 cents I'll consider it.
    I give my tire shop source a case of Bud Light for a bucket full. That averages out to 15 cents a pound.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

yeah, i havent even contacted a slavage yard about it. i just figured why would they waste their time. unless the price of wheel weights skyrocket, the amount of effort removing every single one from every single car just seems rediculous. now, if they were getting $5.00 a pound, it may be worth their while, but at that point we shure wouldn't want to buy them!!!

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I asked at the J. Y. what they were paying for lead, $0.12, If you had to buy it it was $0.35, I get mine from 3 different small auto. shops, One a 100 miles from here, Cost me a bottle of wine for what ever they have in the bucket, I stopped in one place and the fellow said he casted his own bullets, That made me feel good.
    I did sell 3.5 gallons of old WW clips for $1.10 for junk.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    FYI: Most cars nowadays have aluminum wheels. The foundry that buys aluminum wheels wants them clean- IE, no plastic center caps, no valve stems, and no wheel weights. If yo uleave them on they pay less so most yards clean their wheels.

I have a friend who is a general manager of a junkyard, as a favor to them I go by once a week now and clean mag wheels for him in exchange for all the lead WW & battery ends, and also other things of interest I find.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Just got back from my tire shop source.
    Another full bucket of WW's for a case of Bud Light.
    This sure is easier than pulling them myself in a junkyard!
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ