MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Noob with Fins

Noob with Fins

I've got fins. At least my boolits do. Saeco 264 140 gr SPGC When I hold the mold up to the light I can see light at the nose of the boolits, one slightly more than the other regardless of how hard I squeeze the handles. I found a post

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...highlight=fins

from another caster who had fins on his 270 cal NEI mold and the last poster seems to have captured what I think is wrong with my mold, to wit, I think my alignment pins are binding because like his, mine resist (slightly) separation. Is there an aproach other than using a reamer? It seems like I read that I could tap on the pins a little bit with something and that might do the trick? Something like what? I'd hate to booger up my mold.

I appreciate your help.

Jay

Boolit Bub
    Jay,
    Those pins should be able to be tapped in a little. I don't have a Saeco mould (yet), but if the pin holes are bored all the way thru the mould block, they will definitely be able to be tapped in. That's a normal part of mold maintenance. When I get one out of storage, besides checking for corrosion, I also check for sprue plate seating, flatness and alignment, also check those pins. After alot of useage, the sometimes have to be tapped out for more engagement.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by pearson1662 View Post
    I found a post from another caster who had fins on his 270 cal NEI mold and the last poster seems to have captured what I think is wrong with my mold, to wit, I think my alignment pins are binding
    Before you actually DO anything to modify the mould, take it off of the handles and try that fit again.
    Sometimes it is a matter of 'binding' caused by how the handles fit the mould blocks that can keep the faces from meeting properly.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    +1 CM

If the mould still wont close correctly without handles, look carefully at the alignment pins and holes. I had a Lee 6cav. start doing the same thing, and found a drop of lead had got in the hole for the alignment pin. The strange thing was, it wasn't a solid chunk in the way. It had formed a layer inside the hole, making the hole slightly too small. At first look, you could not see anything there, you could see all the way through the hole, just like the rest. I took the point of a thin pocket knife and run around the inside of the hole, and out it pops. It was like a piece of tin foil. Problem solved for me.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Bub Morrison Machine Shop's Avatar
    Check for burrs around the pin holes, I have seen this several times. I use a diamond file fine grit and carefully smooth out the pin holes.
    "In the field I will be a sportsman in word and deed, observing all game laws and regulations and avoiding shots that may cripple rather than kill instantly."