Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for .45 ACP revolver for Bullseye shooting

Boolit Buddy

The S&W forum has had many discussions about oversized cylinder throats. I'd measure them and see where you stand.

Boolit Bub
    When Babe Mangan broke 2600, the American Rifleman had a nice writeup on him (I wish I could remember the year...). His biggest single asset that he attributed his success to was a .454 bullet. Remembering that article saved me frustration when I acquired my 1950 .45 (aka Model 26) a couple of years back.

Boolit Buddy

1955 Target

I tried to fine tune loads for the 1955 Target S&W for several years.Tried almost any boolit you can mention. Tried almost every powder , primer combination imaginable. I even had a new barrel and cylinder installed.
    Best results for me were ;
    H&G 68 bb in Lyman #2 alloy, sized .452, lubed with NRA formula 50/50 over 6 gr of 231. Followed closely by the H&G 78, sized .452, same alloy and lube,4.5 Bullseye.
    Both loads group under 2 inches at 35 yards. The 78 sized at .454 would not group well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by twildman View Post
    When Babe Mangan broke 2600, the American Rifleman had a nice writeup on him (I wish I could remember the year...). His biggest single asset that he attributed his success to was a .454 bullet. Remembering that article saved me frustration when I acquired my 1950 .45 (aka Model 26) a couple of years back.
    It's very funny that you mention .454" diameter.

I got one of Miha's fine 200gr .452 HP molds and cast up quite a few when I first got it. Long story short, I didn't get to the range for almost 6 weeks after loading them up. The ammo would not chamber in my 1911 - they did when loaded though!! But, they shot great in my 625 4" - probably the best single load I've ever fired in it. I checked some of the loose boolits when I got home, my .452" sized boolits grew to .4545" and were now 18 BHN. I'd thown a little lino in the pot and I think it's more like monotype, and then again, maybe a put a little more than I shoulda.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Mr. Smith... Welcome to the wonderful world of 45 ACP DA sixguns. I have about a half dozen or so of them including two Smith 1955 Target Models and have owned that many more.

First of all, let me start by saying, take whatever you have learned about the 45 ACP round in the auto-pistol and set that somewhere with the label "auto-pistol" on it. The sixguns in the same round play by a different set of rules.

If you will measure your cylinder throats you will find they measure .455 to .456. Way to large for a "hard cast" bevel base bullet of .452 or .451 diameter to do good work. Commercial hard cast, BB bullet will give you nothing but frustration.

It will take a plain base cast bullet of soft to medium hardness and sized .454 -.455 to do the trick really well. Most 45 ACP molds cast bullet too small. So, it is time to think 45 Colt molds and big ones at that. a few 45 ACP designs, particularly those with a long bearing surface will do well if they are large enough. Lyman 452460 is one such design. From my mold, these drop .4535 from wheel weight. I run them through a .454 sizer just to lube them and they do OK.

At the end of the day, good old .452423 sized .454 or .455 will deliver the goods. I use Bullseye and Unique powders. I have never found that AR cases deliver better accuracy than ACP cases in clips and vise versa.

Boolit Master
    My best luck with mine, is with a H&G #78, cast of WW, over bullseye. Shoots far better than I can hold, OR see with my old eyes. The most accurate revolver I've ever owned.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12