Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: War stories......... let's hear'em

Boolit Buddy

War stories......... let's hear'em

If you are military or ex military or interested in military stuff or know of a funny, interesting, scary or whatever story that is vaguely connected to the military or weapons and you feel like sharing them, please do so. I threatened to do this last week but I'm finally getting around to it. Some of these should be good................. Hell, you can even post stories that are true.
    Anything that produces some sort of an explosion, can't be all bad.

44minimum

I was a door gunner on the Space shuttle back in the Corps. I got a medical discharge after I was hit in the head with space debris.
    I ain't been right ever since.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

My dad was a boom operator on a KC97 (airborne refueler). A fighter was getting ready to get refueled, he was REALLY low on fuel. It happened to be October 31st. The pilot radio'd over "trick or treat" and my dad started pulling the boom back and radio'd back 'trick'. I guess the guy was slobberin all over himself begging for the boom.

AJ

Boolit Master

There I was in Iraq surrounding by Irate Iraqis that wanted my blood and my head as an infidel in their land. I looked to my left and there were Iraqis. I looked to my right and there were Iraqis. I looked behind me and there were Iraqis. I looked in front of me and there were Iraqis. I realized I only had enough bullets for half of them. Yep, I died.

War Stories. not told by those who have actually gone there.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    When I was on the SAC base at Minot,ND I remember a good friend saying he had called the Alert Room Command Post to report that there was a big flight of something coming in on the radar screen and that he was worried!
    The Command Post replied anxiously that they had picked the blip up on Radar as well.
    Jeff Worthington(my friend,who I still think about to this day-if you are out there give me a holler!) says I am transmitting you a message containing the identity of the radar blip-to the Command Post....
    Command Post replied "very Well,transmit message..."
    Jeff replied on the alert phone,"be sure to write this down,as we must do with all messages".
    Jeff trasmitted the message...
    The Major at the Command Post wrote it down,
    B-1_R-D-S
    Good thing it was CHRISTmas,because the Major let him go with a good laugh!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Reminds me of the time I took a bunch of SeaBee reservists to the range for pistol qualification. We were shooting 1911s, and after most of the quals were done, a couple of officers came up behind me, one with his own .45, with an Ace .22 conversion on it.

"Would you like to try it, Chief?" he asked.

"Yes, sir. That might be fun", I replied.

I fired a round, but the next round didn't feed. I jacked the slide and fired another round. The third round didn't feed, either. Same with the fourth.

I turned and asked him, "Where did you buy the pump action conversion for your pistol, sir?"

I got a strong glare from him and the other officer damned near died laughing. I'm sure he never heard the end of it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Buddy
    A retired Marine colonel friend of mine told me this little encounter he had as a 1st Lieutenant in Vietnam.

Very early one morning he was walking around the camp, and came upon a 2nd Lieutenant standing behind a wooden field latrine (outhouse), bent over the half-barrel he'd pulled from underneath the seat. As he approached in the dim light, he could make out that the other LT appeared to be stirring around in the half-barrel with a bamboo stick.

"What are you doing, Lieutenant?" he asked. The 2nd Lt gave him that deer-in-the-headlights look.

After some hemming and hawing, the story came out that the 2nd Lt had decided to take advantage of the peace and quiet of the pre-dawn, and take his morning constitutional. Being as they were in a combat zone, the Lt had dutifully brought his sidearm, an M1911A1, cocked & locked, in a holster hanging on his cartridge belt.

As he sat down on the latrine seat to relax, he suddenly discovered that he'd forgotten to fasten the flap of the holster as his cocked & locked M1911A1 made a quick exit, right into the hole - and then he also discovered he'd forgotten to attach the lanyard to the ring on the pistol's butt. His pistol was in deep ... ahhh .... "doo-doo", and so was the Lt if he didn't get his pistol back.

So he was fishing around with a bamboo pole trying to retrieve his pistol before the private on "doo-doo" burning detail came by with a jerry can of diesel fuel to burn off the contents of the half-barrel.

The bamboo stick didn't work, and the half-barrel was rather full, and fully ripe. The hapless Lt finally had to fish out his pistol by hand. What fun it must've been to clean it.

In Remebrance

I got a million of them, war stories I mean. I tell ya I've killed more, bombed more, loved more and lost more than any other human being ever has. I can tell you stories about me shooting various dictators, thugs, Politburo members, even a few Kings and Queens. I can tell you about my parachuting into enemy territory and taking out thousands of troops inn hand to hand battle with nothing but my KaBar and an attitude. Yeah, I could tell you stories that would curl your hair and cause your kids to grow 2 feet overnight I have so much manly testosterone flowing through my blood.

Too bad I'm sworn to secrecy. I shouldn't even mention what I have, and that's no BS.........

Last edited by Bret4207; 09-09-2009 at 07:23 AM.

In Remebrance

Okay, enough fun, here's a real one. Boot Camp, Paris Island SC 1979. Drill Instructor tells us, "Someday you'll be in a bar someplace and some guy with a high and tight haircut and a half dozen Marine Corps tattoos will be standing beside you and you'll strike up a conversation about The Corps. After a while he'll have you buying him booze as he tells you how much he loves The Corps and how great it is. After a while you'll ask if he went to PI or San Diego and that's when he'll say, " Ahh, they wouldn't let me in cause I got this rare blood disease, but I saw "The Boys in Company C" 37 TIMES!!!!!"

Sure enough, 20 some years later I'm in a bar talking to this guy with a high and tight haircut and at least a dozen USMC type tats. I buy 3-4 rounds and ask if he went to PI or 'Dago. He says, "Ahh. they wouldn't let me in 'cuz I got this rare brain disease that they can't fix, but I saw "Full Metal Jacket" 59 TIMES!!!!".

Bret, there doesn't seem to be a barstool in America where you won't find an ex-Seal on one side of you and an ex-CIA guy on the other - unless one of them is an ex-astronaut. Strange and wondrous is it not?

So far, I've written a half-million published words of war stories, but don't have a two-paragraph one for here.

Boolit Grand Master

Bret, Same story from Chief Drill Instructor, Gunny Gagnon on PI in 1957. You must be a youngster! And yes, have run into a couple of wannabees over the years. And Leadforbrains, you picked the wrong position! There is no trouble regarding getting hit from space debris if you were in my position, I was the tail gunner on the shuttle! Did get a bit warm however!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

In Remembrance

Sea-Bees built us a bunch of huts in `Nam. First time charlie lit us we bailed out of our racks and out the only door. Later on Purple hearts were being bestowed for wounds recieved. Due to the large amount for my company the Capt. began asking if the wounds were from shrapnel or going thru the screen doors on the huts the sea-Bees built that swung IN NOT OUT!Robert

Boolit Master

I'm sure some of you know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale, but for those that don't:

A fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time..."

A sea story starts out, "Now this is no $#$@..."
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Mine are tame, but my dad had some dandy ones.....
    Paul

In Remembrance

Our Company went for bayonet training one day. The Sargent demonstrated to lean the rifle across your body to the left, draw the bayonet with your right, snap it onto the bayonet stud, and bump it with the heel of your hand to make sure it is frimly attached. He then gave the order to fix bayonets. I heard a loud, shaky intake of breath and looked to the left to see the guy next to me had bumped his rifle out of his grasp and in trying to catch it had impaled his right hand to the hilt. I called the Sargent, who called for the Medic. Just as the Medic ran up the poor impaled soldier slid his hand up and off the bayonet, loosing a stream of blood. The Medic took a look and passed out cold. The Sargent laughed and said" Oh gee, real blood". Later, as I sweated through the blistering heat and dust of Ft. Hood, I began to wonder if it really was an accident? Nahh! He didn't guts for it.... did he?

Boolit Master
    there doesn't seem to be a barstool in America where you won't find an ex-Seal on one side of you and an ex-CIA guy on the other - unless one of them is an ex-astronaut
    OH come on, you forgot all about SPECIAL FORCES
    NRA life member

LB

Moderator Emeritus

Out west you can add "My Grandpa was a genuine US Calvary tracker and he taught me everything he knew".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Generous Donator

How about an idiot flying a kite out at sea and a gooney bird gets tangled in the string. The old man sends out one of the small boats to save the gooney bird because they are protected. They guy flying the kite gets to go out in the small boat. The steering fails in the small boat. We shoot them a line as they are in 15' seas. One of the guys in the small boat gets his leg tangled in the tow line. Tow line released and the guy goes overboard. The idiot who started the whole mess jumps overboard and cuts the line off the other guys leg. Guess who gets a medal and goes to Washington DC for the award ceremony. Of course the guy who was flying the kite. This happened on Ocean station between Hawaii and Japan in the early 70's aboard a Coast Guard weather cutter. Just one of many stories during my 3 years, 8 months and 4 days aboard the USCGC Minnetonka. WHEC-67

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I can tell you about my parachuting into enemy territory and taking out thousands of troops inn hand to hand battle with nothing but my KaBar and an attitude.
    Are you sure that wasn't "hand to gland" combat in the shower? I can see why you'd want to keep that a secret as well.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Mold

Wink OK you've drawn the line!

Six months into my nam tour 67-68, we finally got wooden barracks. The GP Lrg's were getting full of sharpenal holes and pretty ratty(real rats) Our 1st sargent,who wasn,t the top he could have been,decided we should have REAL stateside Inspections, Kontum-1967-68 a real peaceful R&R area. As he came in our barracks,all starched up;yes U guessed right,the mortars came in! We as good soldiers we obeyed gen. orders and went to the bunkers,not a mob,but with a single purpose, FAST. We were fast,the 1st sarg. was slow.We overcame his slowness,by knocking him down, stepping on him many times(twenty or so people),problaly harder then we should have?Our platoon sarg. didn't did receive this treatment!!Later the "Top" complained to the CO and was overheard HE was going fix them ********, The CO who had been an enlisted man,said"top you ain't going to do nothing,but cut out stateside **** and do PT to run faster"No more 1st sarg. inspections and we all did more PT(the co xo and top+EM) I think even our pilots did some!!