MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: webley 455 boolit choice

webley 455 boolit choice

I FINALLY bought paid for and having delivered from an honest person a webley mark1. Now for us to get the RCBS HB by the time we pay all the foolishness is about 200 bucks. I dont like a heeled boolit cause of exposed lube. So I'm wondering would a fellow get in trouble in a revolver using heeled and for lube a thin felt semi dry lube felt. Or is there a less costly mold he could use, even if it meant hollow basing final product in his little lathe? I washed out my credit gettin this baby so for the amount it'll be fired I'm trying to go easy on the load stuff. I figure at 25USD per 100 I'll turn the rims on some 45 AR for brass
    Last edited by charger 1; 02-19-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Having "played" with 41 Colt (Heeled Bullets) If you want Accuracy and you do not want to spend a fortune with a custom Hollow Base Boolit... Just go with the Heel. It is not the End of the world. You Can lube with wax (think 22 Long rifle) or some spray stuff that dries. The Brithish carried these cartriges for many years and obviously figured out How to make it Work Well.
    With smokeless the lubed felt wad with a wax paper wad between powder and lube wad could be a help... probably seal the bore a little and add lube to the barrel. But you will not get any bullet base obturation so accuracy may not be much. 41 Colt just will NOT shoot without good base obturation. I would think Webly is the same... thus the HB boolits.
    I recommend you Read HARRY O´s article on 41 Colt... it really is about HEEL BULLETS.
    When you buy into a weapons system you can try to fight it or you can just enjoy it for what it is. A 200+ grain pure lead boolit maving about 850fps is still going to break most any human bone and go clean through soft tissue. That was what the British Army wanted and shot for a LONG time.
    The Cheap mold will be the common mold.
    Mike God Bless you

Boolit Grand Master

I used a Ideal 454190 mould with great sucess for my Webly. The mould cast a 456 bullet and it loaded fine in the 455 brass (Dominion). None of the 455 roounds I have are heeled bullets.

Boolit Master

Heeled bullet?!?

Huh? A .455 Webley with a heeled bullet? That's a new one on me. I have a Mark VI, and it uses the RCBS 45-265-RN-HB bullet. No heel on that one.
    I also use Hornady .455 Webley brass easily available through Huntington's... No need to do extraordinary measures to .45 AR's to get useable brass.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Huh? A .455 Webley with a heeled bullet? That's a new one on me. I have a Mark VI, and it uses the RCBS 45-265-RN-HB bullet. No heel on that one.
    I also use Hornady .455 Webley brass easily available through Huntington's... No need to do extraordinary measures to .45 AR's to get useable brass.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom
    Your mark VI uses smokeless powder thusly a shorter case. The mark 1 was still a BP gun. If I dont pick up the extra case length I gets no bang at all. Kind of a pop

Boolit Master

Ahhh.... Now I understand!

Quote Originally Posted by charger 1 View Post
    Your mark VI uses smokeless powder thusly a shorter case. The mark 1 was still a BP gun. If I dont pick up the extra case length I gets no bang at all. Kind of a pop
    Sounds like you're stuck with trying to use the longer cases because the gun is BP.. My apologies. It sounds like you do unfortunately have your work cut out for you.
    I wonder if the Fiocchi ammo in .450 revolver would work for you? I'll have to check my cartridge books for case lengths.
    Let us know how things work out. That is a FINE gun, and a most worthwhile project to come up with the proper ammo for it.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Sounds like you're stuck with trying to use the longer cases because the gun is BP.. My apologies. It sounds like you do unfortunately have your work cut out for you.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom
    Ah about a minute a piece in my wee lathe. What else is us canuks goin to do with 4' of snow outside? cant chase momma round the bedroom the whole 8 months of winter. God knows I've tried

Boolit Master

Very Good!

Quote Originally Posted by charger 1 View Post
    Ah about a minute a piece in my wee lathe. What else is us canuks goin to do with 4' of snow outside? cant chase momma round the bedroom the whole 8 months of winter. God knows I've tried
    Glad you have the lathe! I was given one twenty years ago. The only condition was that I supply an endless quantity of 7.65 French Longue for my generous benefactor.
    All bets were off when we found out the old Hjorth was only about 20 thousandths out of round...
    Have fun, please show pix (of the finished product!).

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Are you talking about making Mk I or Mk II Webley cases? I think you might mean hollow base, not heeled bullet when it comes to the 455 Webley/Eley/Colt.