MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Thoughts on homebuilt ladles

Boolit Bub

Thoughts on homebuilt ladles

I have a turkey frier, a 2-cavity mold, a cast iron pan, and a few pounds of wheelweights. But I still need a ladle.

A buddy has a furnace and some experience with forging, and has offered to drink beer and shout encouragment while I attempt to manufacture one. I have some 16 gauge sheet metal, which we were thinking of beating out around a trailer hitch ball. He has some 3/16" round stock for a handle rod, though I am a little concerned that it might be a little too thin to hold up a pound or so of molten lead reliably. A piece of oaken dowel would probably suffice for a handle, unless I get really cheap and hunt down some dried oak limb in the yard.

I want to be able to scoop from a rather shallow draft, as the pan I currently have is not very deep. Hopefully, I will happen across a better one sometime soon, but in the meantime...

Also I am considering making a strainer spoon, similar to a spaghetti spoon, to remove steel clips and such, while I am at it.

If anyone has any input as to what shape, pouring indents, suitability of the listed materials, or anything else that might cross your mind, I would be most appreciative for the help.

Boolit Grand Master

I made a ladle for my ingots from a 6oz juice can cut down and a stick. I also have a slotted metal spoon I got from the $ store. Works reat for scooping out the clips and such.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    LOL, and I thought I was lowbuck! I think that there is a thrift store or two close to work that I could hit during lunch, see if I could find a slotted metal spoon. I think that one would take some time, especially cutting the slots in it, so if I can spend a dollar or so, I might be lazy about it.

Boolit Master

Phish - while you are at the thrift store look for a soup ladle. I found a stainless steel one for $1. It has a metal handle, so I used a 6 inch piece of ax handle on the end. The ax handle is from one I broke chopping wood. I notched out a slot in the wood to receive the metal handle by drilling a line of small holes in the end and then busting out the spaces between the holes with a knife. I then drilled through the wood and the metal handle and pinned it with a roll pin.

I also bent a pour spout into the lip of the ladle to help the metal pour where I want it to go.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

Phish, if your going to try to forge the bowl do it from the inside not the outside. Don't try beating it around a ball, that is an exercise in frustration. Dish the bowl from inside by hammering it into the end grain of a log while the piece is hot. It will form its own depression. Once you have a bit of a depression you can now do some hammering cold, heat it every now and then to prevent cracking the bowl. Use a ball peen hammer to do this. You should be able to accomplish this in fifteen minutes or so. Grind the top flat afterwards and put a pouring lip on each side of the bowl...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    You can buy one-piece stainless steel soup ladles and slotted spoons for a couple bucks at Wal*Mart, Target, Meijer, or anyplace that sells kitchen stuff, I got my soup ladle at Goodwill for fifty cents.
    Saw this as a tagline on another forum:
    "Never underestimate the amount of work a cheapskate will expend to save $20!"
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Here's a homemade ingot ladle of mine. Bottom pour. Stainless steel. Made from a 4" to 3" pipe reducer.

Last edited by jawjaboy; 09-08-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Jawjaboy:

Nice Ladle! That must hold about 6 to 8 pounds of lead?

Like the shape but my ingots are only 2 or 3 pounds at best. You have given me some ideas and I appreciate it!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Thanks. It will hold a 12 ounce can of liquid in volume, never weighed a ladle full of lead though. It will pour a 6 pound ingot with plenty of room to spare.

Her's another pic. The sliding handle is a piece of 1/2" pipe with a split collar welded on each end. The stationary handle threads into the cup and is held in place with a jamb nut.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    Gee, if I weren't going to use a soup ladle I would just pinch a corner in the lip of a bean can, melt my ww or what ever in it and put a vice grip on the lip of the can for a handle (bend the lip over with the vice grips so it is right angles). It's how I did my first boolits and it didn't work too bad. If you have access to a cut off wheel and a welder, some pipe scraps and etc. you should be able to make a pretty nice ladle. If you want a bottom pour ladle weld a small angle iorn to the inside of the ladle up off the bottom a bit.

free advice for what it's worth

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...