Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Bo-Mar sight broke

Boolit Master

Bo-Mar sight broke

The hinge pin broke on my Bo-Mar sight at about half it's length. This is on my 45acp. I pulled it apart and the pin measures .0669" diameter. I tried to pull up Bo-Mar's web sight to order some parts. You know the story. Tried Brownell's and no luck. The spring that operates the detent for adjustment also appears to have collapsed. So, does anybody know where to get parts or should I look at getting a new sight? Since I use the gun for carry, are there any recommendations for a fixed tactical sight that will fit the Bo-Mar cut in the slide? I temporarily cut down a 1/16" HS drill bit to get me by.

Boolit Master

A #51 drill bit is .0670 that would give you a .0001 press fit. For the spring try a S&W rear sight detent spring.
    Believe it or not Bo-Mar is right up the street from me and I am told that they are closed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the drill bit info. I'm sure that's the drill size they used for the sight's hinge pin.

The story I pulled up was that the man that started the company had died and his son had taken over the company (I knew this). The son died in a car wreck about a year later (I didn't know this). When I started shooting silhouette in the early 90's, Bo-Mar was the way to go in open sights. I have 6 Bo-Mar sights on various guns and this is the first to brake. Good design, much copied.

Boolit Master

They do drive kind of crazy here in Texas. I don't know which is worsehere or New Orleans!

Boolit Master
    It's not a standard roll pin like you can get at the hardware store? Would'nt hurt to try there.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try a hobby shop or hardware store for some music wire.
    What Kind of Bo-mar sight?? Mine is an Ed Brown. If it was mine would start at Ed Brown.
    Is there a name stamped on the side of the sight base or is it an original, now defunct Bo-mar.

Here is Ed Browns Number Phone: (573) 565-3261

SSI makes one also. Probably others.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I tried the hardware store but the smallest roll pin was 1/8". Hard to find much on a holiday weekend.

It is a real defunct Bo-Mar. I saw a number of copies on the internet, just don't know whose is good and not. Hate to have to NEED the pistol and have to call timeout because of equipment failure. I saw a few fixed sights that fit a BM-1 cutout and didn't know if anybody here had any experience with them. One has a larger notch to accomodate old eyes, er , low light conditions. Since I have a wide front post, I might give it a try.

Hadn't thought of the piano wire. Hmmm. Now, who do I know has a piano and won't be home today? Hmmm.

Boolit Master
    Try locating a Fastenal outlet, if they don't have it they can get it. Browse their website http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...n_dim_search=1 First one is a 1/16, if it's too loose try flattening it a bit.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    Champion Gunsights http://www.championgunsights.com/ makes a Bo-Mar clone in several variations. I'm pretty sure that they make the sight that Ed Brown and others put their own name on. You might be able to buy some replacement parts from them.

Wolff Gunsprings also sells springs in many different sizes. If you measure the spring's diameter and the diameter of the wire, they probably have a spring that size (I'd suggest calling them). http://www.gunsprings.com/

Boolit Master
    +1 to Wallenba's Fastenal suggestion!

I wanted to put Allen screws in the grips of my BIL's Ruger Mark I. Custom grips were thicker than stock so no help from Brownell's.

Went into a Fastenal on a whim and they had the screws in stock, Chicago of course, and got them to me in 3 days no additional shipping charge! Two bucks out the door for 6 of the bad boys in Stainless no less!

I'm thinking if they don't have it it was never made!

I temporarily retired one of mine because the detent stopped detenting. I'm sure you know that the hinge pin is also the retainer for the detent spring. So far I have not been able to get the old spring out. Stuck in there, and refuses to come out. What I do when I need a pin like that is buy some cheap drill bits in the size I need and cut them off.

If you're interested in a spare, I have a brand new Bomar BMCS, still in it's original package, that I'll never use. I'd let it go for $60 shipped.

McClintock, I will take it. PM sent.

Boolit Master

Bo-mar Sights

There is another option for spare parts. Just about all Bullseye pistol shooters have abandoned their Bomar ribs and are using Red Dot sights. Jim Clarks mount for the red dot uses the Bolt pattern of the Bomar rib making the conversion easy. In the Bullseye community there are numerous ribs that people have taken off their Bullseye pistols. The rear sight of the rib is identical to the BCMS except for the base,thus the spare parts.