Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Autoloader

Boolit Master

22 Autoloader

What is everyone liking these days in the current 22 auto's?

I have (had) a Ruger MK1 and a MK2, but looks like my wife and son have stolen them for their use.

Use would be paper, plinking, practice - hopefully not survival.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I recently picked up a Walther P22, the short one. It's really light, accurate and I have'nt had any FTF or FTL's yet (only 200 rds tho). Its priced right too, about $360. And WAAAY easier to take apart and reassemble than a Ruger Mk II. I'd still say the Ruger is more accurate though.
    The grip is a bit small for large hands but OK. I like it a lot!
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had good success with a S&W 22A. It went back to the factory with a broken extractor this summer in their dime. 5-6 weeks later it returned, no charge, and still a shooter.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    When it comes to 22 plinkers, Ruger is king.

Ruger...
    Last edited by cheese1566; 10-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a sig mosquito and exept the look it's not a real bargain
    change for a 617 4

Boolit Master

I love my Smith 22 A expecially for the built in scope rail to make mounting a red dot or scope easy. I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on mine. The open sights are better then Rugers also. Ruger MK series is ONE thing Ruger did right it is a nice gun I have had several over the years. I like my Smith better because it is a LOT easier to field strip and it is like the Ruger an accurate little beast.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I had a 200year Ruger with the bull barrel. No matter how hard I tried I could not crack 480 out of 600 in an Olympic Standard Pistol match. I tried my late wife's old beater (a Browning Medallist from the 50s) and whammo I couldn't shoot anything less than a 500. I went back to the drawing board and tried all sorts of ammo in each. The Browning kicked the Ruger's butt everytime. Check out the Brownings they are good. I will never sell the Browning, although I use a Baikal Standard Pistol for competition now, it is scary accurate and handles recoil well, barely disturbing the sights with target ammo.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Ruger, only sold it to feed kids, but it wasn't in the same league as the Browning.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I like the Ruger 22/45 gonna put in an after market extracter though. FB

Boolit Master

ive shot BE since 1976 and i ve been a high master shooter for over 15 years . i use a orgional hampton hi standard . the entry to intermediat level shooters use various brands but the gun of choise with that level of shooter in my club is the browning buck mark then ruger but the beretta neos is pretty good and it sells for less than the rest . ther are other brands used but use is too limtied.
    in every case a intermediat shooter who used these guns and got a top end gun such as high standard or a s & w 41 ther scores improve alot ! even after putting trigger kits and changing the grips on there gun. also a red dot sight will help alot on any pistol !

bob
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 09-07-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master

I have had a Ruger MK2 for many years. It is the most reliable and accurate 22rf semiauto I have ever shot, bar none. Can`t go wrong with the Ruger...dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have had a Ruger MK2 for many years. It is the most reliable and accurate 22rf semiauto I have ever shot, bar none. Can`t go wrong with the Ruger...dale
    I agree, just finished installing a Volquartsen accurizing kit in mine as well as extended bolt and magazine releases, (mine is an older model catch in the butt of the grip). Have'nt got to shot it yet.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    I saw a stainless bull barrel MK II at the local shop yoday priced at $295, in very good condition.

I have been thinking about picking it up and putting the volquartsen kit in it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I saw a stainless bull barrel MK II at the local shop yoday priced at $295, in very good condition.

I have been thinking about picking it up and putting the volquartsen kit in it.
    The kit is a snap to put in, but I had a lot of touble keeping everything in place at the same time. The little trigger spring with the long and short tangs kept dropping out before I could get the pin through the sear. My big fat fingers kept getting in the way of seeing what was happening. Watch out for the detent ball in the safety button. If it falls out without you noticing, you'll have to take it back apart. Also my mag release needed some fitting to catch the magazine. New models don't have them.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I'll second the M22A I bought one this summer to replace a Ruger 22/45 I had for several years. My BE scores went up by almost a 100 points this summer.

Scope rail comes standard and the iron sights are easier to see than Rugers. Grip is a bit bigger than my 22/45 but nothing a normal hand can't handle.

The Ruger Mk3s are standard with those cheap plastic sights. S&W are metal.

S&W is a polymer grip with a metal frame , slide and barrel.

The Prices are about the same.

You make the final decision yourself

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 09-05-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I'll second the M22A I bought one this summer to replace a Ruger 22/45 I had for several years. My BE scores went up by almost a 100 points this summer.

Scope rail comes standard and the iron sights are easier to see than Rugers. Grip is a bit bigger than my 22/45 but nothing a normal hand can't handle.

The Ruger Mk3s are standard with those cheap plastic sights. S&W are metal.

S&W is a polymer grip with a metal frame , slide and barrel.

The Prices are about the same.

You make the final decision yourself

Bruce
    Pretty much my feelings and not knocking the Ruger as it is one of the FEW Ruger Products they got right but the Smith is better all the way around and I can honestly say that after owning both. In fact I have had 3 MK's in my lifetime a Used MK1 and a couple of II's one of them the Government Target Model. This Smith I have shoots just as good or a shade better than that Target model did.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger Mark I II and III's are good solid guns that will shoot all day and not have a problem if treated right.

Having said that if you plan serious bullseye compitation look into something else! Ruger's can be made to shoot in the top levels of bullseye but by the time you get the gun right you've spent twice what it is worth!

For that kind of money a good Colt Match target 3rd model, a Hi Standard Victor, A Berretta 76, an original Browning Medalist, S&W 41, all of these will out shoot a Ruger and be worth more when your done with it!

Heck I was shooting a 200 yr anniversary Mark II in bullseye in 1978 and bought a 6 inch Diamond back that bumped me 200 points in less than 2 match's!

Now don't get me wrong I have a few Mark I and II's in the safe and all are good guns but I have yet to see an out of the box Mark anything shoot well enough for me to endorse the "Target" logo on the side of the gun!

Boolit Master
    I like the 22A, but have read numerous reports about them being picky about ammo. I have tons of the Wally World Federal bulk pack stuff. Any idea how that runs?

Moderator Emeritus

It shoots good in mine but not match grade. 2"-2 1/2" groups @ 25 yards are common. Off hand not off a rest.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I like the 22A, but have read numerous reports about them being picky about ammo. I have tons of the Wally World Federal bulk pack stuff. Any idea how that runs?

As the last post stated it shoots good in mine too but there are other brands that may shoot better but I would not be afraid to take head shots at squirrels with it if that answers your question. I have not found an ammo yet that was really bad it likes most types that I can see.

I think most 22's are some what picky they all have preferences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast