Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: cost to have ruger rebarrel a number one

Boolit Master

cost to have ruger rebarrel a number one

Anyone know how much it costs to get a new barrel for a number one from ruger, and have them install it?
    Just picked up another number one in 450/400 and want to convert it to 45/70. I see they charge $105 for labor, but don't see any price for the barrels themselves.
    Thanks
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Dan,

This may have changed, but the last I knew RUGER would not do such a change as they would consider that to be "custom work."

If a rifle is sent in to be re-barreled, they replace the barrel with the same cartridge chambered barrel as what the customer sent to them.

If that is still their policy, that would not be a lot of help to you.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Might want to contact Sulphur Gulch Gunsmithing in Parker Co. Excellent singleshot rifle smith. Going to cost probably somewhere around 700.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Cast Boolits Owner

McGowen re-barrels the single shot Rugers. It is not cheap but the work is outstanding.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

What about just having barrel bored and rechambered to 45/70?

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

IMO you'd do best for shopping around for a Ruger take off 45-70 barrel and having it put onto your receiver. Someone, somewhere has already taken one off to go to another caliber.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike View Post
    IMO you'd do best for shopping around for a Ruger take off 45-70 barrel and having it put onto your receiver. Someone, somewhere has already taken one off to go to another caliber.
    I REALLY like that idea! Just need to find a barrel. Didn't see anything on gunbroker. Where else should I look?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    I REALLY like that idea! Just need to find a barrel. Didn't see anything on gunbroker. Where else should I look?
    ebay, or put WTB on RugerForum.com, 24 hour Campfire, ASSRA Forum, Cast Boolits, etc. etc.

Boolit Master
    Excellent advice in post 6 & 8. Thats what I would do.

I said that because I did this very thing when I yarded off a 7X57 pipe from mine and went with a 458 WM that I re-chambered to a 450 NE. I even swapped the 7MM forearm for one that fit the new tube.

I should do something with that 7mm pipe though.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice guys! Scored a barrel today from Mr Nonneman. I will keep you all appraised as to how this build goes.

Keep in mind that there are several sizes of the quarter ribs for the different size pipes. Your's may not fir the new one.

Banned
    i was going to do my ruger #1 in 270 win for a 7x57. until i shot it. it takes either 130gr bt or 150gr bt at .3" or .4" at 100 yards. also it cost around $600-$800 for a new barrel. it just costs too much for me.

Boolit Master
    Yes it is cheaper to sell your rifle and buy the caliber you want if it was chambered in the #1.
    Rebarreling a #1 to 45-70 using an after market barrel is the worst possible solution. There are lots of 45-70s around. Many can be bought for the cost of an $800 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i was going to do my ruger #1 in 270 win for a 7x57. until i shot it. it takes either 130gr bt or 150gr bt at .3" or .4" at 100 yards. also it cost around $600-$800 for a new barrel. it just costs too much for me.
    EDG

Banned
    edg,
    mine was bought at a gun show for $300 a few years ago. everything looked good, had a couple of dings in the wood stock, action seemed ok, trigger could use some work, but for $300 you couldn't go wrong. even tho it is a 270 win. one of the best memories i have is from an old ruger #1 in 7x57. i don't know the guys name(hey i was 15y.o. at the time) and he shot a buck and was about to dress it. i came up and we started talking. the gun he had was one thing stuck out in my mind. ruger #1 7x57. that stuck with me until i bought the 270. and boy does it shoot straight!!! 3 shots at 100 yards is .3" /130gr nosler ballistic tip with imr4320. this one can't go to cast boolits, it just don't seem right.

I happened upon a #3 barrel in 45/70.

was going to redo my 270, but the $ just isn't there right now, as no one local to do the work
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!