WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys were right about the 6.5x55...

Jim,spring is here and the beer is cold,come on down.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sav,
    Fall is here, the leaves are golding out, the groundhogs are plentiful and we're a month away from primitive season for deer. I got access to 3 places to shoot and hunt and I got cold beer and genuine Tennessee sippin' whiskey in my basement gunshop frig. Pack your rifles and BRING IT!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ............Well I'm afraid 50 yards is about my limit of good target and sight definition, so you'll have to forgive me. Shooting farther then that (for me anyway) just doesn't do much for seeing what a load will do, unless I have a scope. Being 56 and having worn glasses since the 5th grade it's just beyond me. I own 116 rifles but only 5 of'em have scopes. Two 22RF's, a 223 varmint rifle, my M77 Ruger 30-06 and my new Savage M10FP 308. For better or worse, all the rest have what they were born with (oh a few have verniers and peeps), but other then that ..............

..........Buckshot
    Rick,

Believe me, I know what you mean. I love an old military rifle and not to have that keen young eyesight to shoot them at further then 50 yards really upsets me. Some rifles I just refuse to put a scope on, like say my Marlin Cowboy. Even though it's D&T'd for one I refuse to ruin the smooth lines of it with a scope. I was just teasing Larry Gibson about 50 yard groups.

Joe

Banned

jim, i laid it out right there...
    you gotts suck it in and try it,i was about scared to death the first time i went into no mans land,with a powder not even remotely made for the caliber i was using it in.
    i have also tried some duplex loads and other crazy stuff.
    it's just easier to stick to the slower twist larry recommends,and the loading of super slow powders and get them going consistently with a hot primer.
    you can blast out a light weight boolit pretty dang fast this way.
    or a heavier one at normal velocities,still takes work,some anality,and patience.
    but you really learn how,and why with a gun when you go there...
    it also helps your flgc loading too..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I picked up a 6.5X55 a coupla' months ago. When I saw this thread start up, I thought "Man, this is great! Perfect timing! I'm gonna find out something from these guys that have been at it for a long time that will help me get this thing wrung out."
    I'm very dissapointed. All I've seen so far is "My dog's bigger than your dog" and I haven't learned anything except that there are people here that give me the impression that they "know something" that nobody else does. That ain't helping me a bit.
    I'm goin' across the street and have a cold one.

You can add "talking in code" to the list too.

I think some guys just enjoy the banter and mystery that they seek to create.

The 6.5x55 is a perfect candidate for all of this being a finicky cast boolit situation...
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Boolit Grand Master

runfiverun

Larry you know full well that 2" is not accurate unless that is all the rifle can do.
    if it will do under an inch with j-words it will do under an inch with cast.

Sorry, I thought we were talking a 6.5 Swede milsurp rifle here with original iron sights(?). We should, as you mention, expect equal accuracy with cast as with jacketed. I generally expect 2 moa as an average accuracy capability with most milsurps in good condition. One has to consider their sights and trigger pulls in the accuracy equation. Sorry if I' misled you with the 2 moa.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot

You need not apologise, if 50 yards works for you then so be it. I only point out my own preference and the reason for it. Besides. Most of your loads, including others posted eslewhere, are well within the RPM threshold and you should have no trouble with and accurate load developed at 50 yards "out yonder". I always appreciate you fine posts and input.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I picked up a 6.5X55 a coupla' months ago. When I saw this thread start up, I thought "Man, this is great! Perfect timing! I'm gonna find out something from these guys that have been at it for a long time that will help me get this thing wrung out."
    I'm very dissapointed. All I've seen so far is "My dog's bigger than your dog" and I haven't learned anything except that there are people here that give me the impression that they "know something" that nobody else does. That ain't helping me a bit.
    I'm goin' across the street and have a cold one.
    Jim

There is lots of good information on the 6.5 Swede and accurate cast bullet loads from many members here. If you want specific information don't hesitate to ask for it. Let's start off with; what 6.5 mould do you have?

Sometimes the cold beer helps too

Larry Gibson

Banned
    If one gets a consistent 2 inch group at HV...that's darn good enough for min of deer. Not for varmint shooting though. It's a trade off, if you slow down and get varmint accuracy you lose the better ballistics. I will have to say the Saeco 140 gr 6.5 bullet is pretty sleek and I've done some ok shooting with it at 300 yards from my 6.5 Grendel.

Well was out with the "secret rifle" today confirming a load that I believe is the sweet spot. Yup, confirmed. Not as HV as I would like but over 227,416 rpm. That's the load one grain less then the sweet spot. So if you want of figure the velocity for that rpm the twist is 8. So I'm slightly higher in velocity then that now. So I believe the show shall begin. Load some up an see if we can get the number of groups set by Larry Gibson.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Jim

There is lots of good information on the 6.5 Swede and accurate cast bullet loads from many members here. If you want specific information don't hesitate to ask for it. Let's start off with; what 6.5 mould do you have? .....Larry Gibson
    For starters, I've only had this rifle a coupla' months and don't have a mold yet. Furthermore, I don't have over a hundred bucks to drop into a set of blocks AND a handle. Lee doesn't make a .26? mold, so I'm in a quandry as to casting for the rifle. I reckon I'll just have to shoot FLGCs in it and be happy with that.

Boolit Master

Jim,

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...4F%55%4C%44%53

Midsouth Shooters Supply out of Clarksville TN regularly does purchase runs of a 170gr 6.5 mold called the "Cruise Missile" $17 for a mold w/handles.

A lot of the people on this board have that mold and can tell you about it's performance in a 6.5 Swede. I don't have a Swede and its too heavy for my 6.5 Jap.

I troll searched Evil-Bay for a mold for you to bid on but I didn't see any.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    If one gets a consistent 2 inch group at HV...that's darn good enough for min of deer. Not for varmint shooting though. It's a trade off, if you slow down and get varmint accuracy you lose the better ballistics. I will have to say the Saeco 140 gr 6.5 bullet is pretty sleek and I've done some ok shooting with it at 300 yards from my 6.5 Grendel.

Well was out with the "secret rifle" today confirming a load that I believe is the sweet spot. Yup, confirmed. Not as HV as I would like but over 227,416 rpm. That's the load one grain less then the sweet spot. So if you want of figure the velocity for that rpm the twist is 8. So I'm slightly higher in velocity then that now. So I believe the show shall begin. Load some up an see if we can get the number of groups set by Larry Gibson.

Joe

Joe

Don't get too excited about the 2 moa, read my response to runfiverun. This discussion and the 2 moa criteria are in reference to a milsurp 6.5 Swede with original sights. Your 6.5 Grendel doesn't quite fit that criteria. This particular forum under which this discussion is taking place is about CB Loads / Military Rifles. If you want to start a thread on accuracy potential with such a rifle as yours or the ones runfiverun was referring to another thread would be better on an appropriate sub-forum. Then we'll discuss what is "good" and not for your Grendel.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Jim

bruce drake is correct. Many do well with the "cruise missle" and it is available. I understand your dilema concerning $s. Just keep in mind that when you want to get into the higher performance end additional equipment will be needed and that always cost $s. You can work at it slowly and still get there. Also a lot of the equipment is also useful for other cartridges and what is cartridge specific can always be sold if you take care of it. How much you spend depends on what you want to do. Many times there's always a way. Don't get discouraged. I'm editing an old response to another question that pertains here. I'll post it soon. It may answer amny of your and O.S.A.K.'s questions or at least get you headed down the right path.

Larry Gibson

Does the cruise missile deliver the goods at 2000 fps ish without as much fuss?

We have specifics and loads for it? If so....
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Joe

Don't get too excited about the 2 moa, read my response to runfiverun. This discussion and the 2 moa criteria are in reference to a milsurp 6.5 Swede with original sights. Your 6.5 Grendel doesn't quite fit that criteria. This particular forum under which this discussion is taking place is about CB Loads / Military Rifles. If you want to start a thread on accuracy potential with such a rifle as yours or the ones runfiverun was referring to another thread would be better on an appropriate sub-forum. Then we'll discuss what is "good" and not for your Grendel.

Larry Gibson
    Just teasing you there Larry. I'm hot on the trail to my recent test today with the "secret rifle".

Joe

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Does the cruise missile deliver the goods at 2000 fps ish without as much fuss?

We have specifics and loads for it? If so....
    No, it doesn't from the typical Swede. Reduce your speed to 16-1700 fps and fit it to your gun and you can shoot nice groups. Anything over the 1800 fps area, especially with boolits over 130 or so grains, gets into the area of mysticism, black magic, secret formulas and whispered incantations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Jim,

Midsouth Shooters Supply out of Clarksville TN regularly does purchase runs of a 170gr 6.5 mold called the "Cruise Missile" $17 for a mold w/handles.

A lot of the people on this board have that mold and can tell you about it's performance in a 6.5 Swede. I don't have a Swede and its too heavy for my 6.5 Jap.

Bruce
    Bruce, you're a good fella! thanks, man, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Jim,

Bruce
    If it will fit your Jap it's not too heavy. The Jap certainly has the twist to spin it. I've shot it out of my 260 Rem with either 9 or 9.5 twist, can't remember what twist that barrel has that I put on it. Look at the crazy heavy weights people shoot of the SKS 7.62x39.

Joe

Boolit Master

Jim,

You are welcome! Glad to help out. A lot of guys post about that mold. LEE does good work on their small lot productions for Midsouth. I've got their 55gr 224 BATOR as well as their 225gr 8mm molds as well.

Bruce

Boolit Master

Well, I may be on the lookout to purchase one also it seems. I'll give it a shot after I get back from a couple of business trips this month. THe Jap has a 1:8 twist so we'll see what it can do later.

Bruce

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast