WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: You guys were right about the 6.5x55...

In Remebrance

So, there I am with my newly cataloged mould system when I notice the 266305 staring me in the face. So out comes the mould, get here warmed up and she starts pumping out beautimus boolits of- get this- .269 diameter! I'm happy beyond words. Now to find my sizer die and lap it out to about .268. Maybe I'll get some shooting done with the Swede after all!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    So, there I am with my newly cataloged mould system when I notice the 266305 staring me in the face. So out comes the mould, get here warmed up and she starts pumping out beautimus boolits of- get this- .269 diameter! I'm happy beyond words. Now to find my sizer die and lap it out to about .268. Maybe I'll get some shooting done with the Swede after all!

Bret,

What is the groove size on your Swede?

Joe

Starmetal--what is the groove size on a Swede? have a neighbor that is a Swede but I sure haven't measured his groove.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Starmetal--what is the groove size on a Swede? have a neighbor that is a Swede but I sure haven't measured his groove.

Shame on you Ray!!!! You stay away from that fellows wife!!!!!!

Joe

In Remebrance

Haven't measured it recently Joe, I'll check before I do anything.

Banned

i measured the belt on a swede once.
    didn't know it had a groove....
    glad to see this thread still going.

Boolit Grand Master

Bret

You really want your bullet to just barely slip into the long throat of your Swede Rifle (Clarified that to keep this thread from turning naughty ) regardless of what the groove diameter may be.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Banana shaped bullets

Whew, I have been trying for days, but I finally had the time to read to the end of this thread. I have actually learned a few things and confirmed a few others that I had sort of figured out myself. So, I guess the struggle to read 15 pages was probably worth the effort.

I have been working on a load for my 6.5xRoberts rechambered Jap carbine and happily my older single cavity .266469 has been throwing .270-.271 bullets with 60/40 (WW/linotype) so I hope to get my.266 lapped out lube die to make a slug large enough to help the thing shoot. I might need to make it a bit larger, but then I suspect the die to squirt lube out the bottom if I lap it much more. Might just have to hand check and lube and shoot unsized.

Anyway, I wanted to make a comment about the recovered banana shaped Lovern bullets. I have seen a few of mine curl like a banana right out of the mold while trying to get the mold up to temp. If the bullet is removed too quickly or too hot from the mold it will sometimes curl as it cools. I was just wondering if it would be possible that a curled bullet that is sized and straightened out in a size die, might be more easily re curled back to banana shape by the rpm forces than a normally mold cooled or cured bullet? Possiblilty could account for some of the extra difficulty in getting high velocity accuracy at the faster rpm? Sort of like the difference in accuracy between a true straight barrel and one that was straightened at the factory. Just a thought.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 10-08-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

In Remebrance

Ham- I have one of those 6.5 Roberts too. They kind of grow on you. Not a bad little cartridge at all.

Boolit Master

My brother has a Husky 6.5x55mm so I was a bit interested in reading this thread. I might try to get his rifle to shoot a few of my cast bullets if I get my rechambered Jap carbine to shoot decently. It is a slight bit slower twist than the Husky I suppose.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    My brother has a Husky 6.5x55mm so I was a bit interested in reading this thread. I might try to get his rifle to shoot a few of my cast bullets if I get my rechambered Jap carbine to shoot decently. It is a slight bit slower twist than the Husky I suppose.

The Jap is much slower. I believe around 1-9 and the Swedes are 1-7.5.

Do give them both a try.

Joe

In Remebrance

Ham, my Jap is in a very, very light Mannlicher stock. The rifle weighs in just under 6 lbs! Picked it up for $100.00 a couple years ago. It's not bad with jacketed, but I haven;t had a chance to do any cast shooting to speak of with it. I did pick up a 270 Loverin mould that sizes down rather nicely to .270, .271 if I have to.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I just found a 6.5x55 Redding neck size bushing die body on sale for $18.00 new...There are 2 different Karl Gustaf M96 Swedes to feed, and a CZ 550 American, I have 1X fired brass from the M96s (segragated, and marked bags as to which rifle fired in), have not yet fired the 550 as I am waiting on a scope.Anyone got experience on the likely range of bushing sizes needed to accomodate all 3 of these rifles? Somewhere around .291 to .294???I have a box of new Lapua 6.5x55 brass, and a good deal of 1X fired Prvi Partizan, also a bag of new unprimed Prvi.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the noe 145 gr around 1700 fps very accurate

Banned
    This thread is a gas. Never have so much effort been spent to try and make something hard that is not. The 6.5x55 is not a mystery cartridge. Neither are ANY 6.5 mm cartridges. Cast up a 140-160 gr boolit that fits the bore from pure wheelweights, put a GC on it, lube it with SPG, push it gently with TB or Unique and it will ring the 300 yard gong until you get bored.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415