Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Vertically Challenged

Boolit Buddy

Vertically Challenged

I'm having trouble with vertical placement of my groups. I always shoot 10-shot groups and they are never more than 2.00" wide @ 100 yds (usually 1.75"). The groups are usually 3.00 - 3.50" high. I've tried changing the following variables without much improvement:

Fouling control:
    blow-tube, wiping & bore pigs

Powder 70 gr - 75 gr using the following:
    Goex 1F, Goex 2F, Express 2F, Graf 2F & Swiss 2F

Milk carton wads & LDPE wads both w/ newspaper wad under bullet

Bullets:
    Postel, PJ Creedmore & Brooks Creedmoor
    hardness 20:1 & 30:1
    .457 & .459 dia

Primers w & w/o newspaper wad:
    WLRP, Fed 210, Fed 215, CCI BR2

SPG, Sagebrush & 2 homebrew lubes

Bench & X-sticks shooting

I'm looking for non-load suggestions as I think I've exhausted most of those. I'm shooting a Pedersoli Creedmoor #2 .45-70 that weighs about #10. I'm thinking it's got to do with recoil. Maybe I'm holding the gun too loose? Any shooting advice on prone X-sticks & Bench technique?

If I was to get the 10 shot groups < 2" in height would that be considered about as good as it gets?

I see nothing wrong with what you listed.
    The only thing I would add for now is case neck tension and position.

Lp

Boolit Buddy
    Verticle is ususaly sighting error. Put a scope on the gun to make sure you are on the same aiming point every time. Grip and recoil control have to be consistant shot to shot to get good groups. Best, Roger

Boolit Man
    Have you checked to make sure the buttstock is tight?
    coyotebait

In Remembrance
    Do you rest the barrel on the cross stix in exactly the same spot for every shot?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Sights are a key item not mentioned in your post. Quality Soule sights combined with a globe front with proper inserts will go a long way toward shrinking groups vertically. Buckhorn sights are notorious for vertical stringing because light changes affect your eyes perception of where the top of the front sight actually is located in relation to both the target and the rear sight.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You need a shooter who knows what they are doing to watch you shoot the gun. There are many factors that may cause your problem. Some have to do with the rifle and others with you. Without knowing you or your rifle it would be pure guessing. You did not say how you were shooting off the bench. If you have the proper bags so that the rifle can be locked in with you placing your cheek in the exact same spot and squeeze each round off then that should work. The weld of the rifle is very important to good shooting.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    The sights are Pedersoli Creedmoor #430 rear and the corresponding front sight. I've tried .039, .052 & .115 rear arpeture sizes and the cross hair insert in the front. Nothing seems loose in the sights.

I rest the gun about 3" back from the muzzle. The same all the time. I'm thinking that maybe my hold is the problem? Any advice on hold? Do you hold tight against the shoulder or?

There is 1 unexplained thing I've noticed. I never need to move my rear sight left/right but sometimes the next time I shoot with the same load I have to change the rear sight height. I've had to go from a .68 sight setting one time to a .71 setting next time.

I can't notice anything loose. Should I try to shoot with the forestock removed?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HPT View Post
    The sights are Pedersoli Creedmoor #430 rear and the corresponding front sight. I've tried .039, .052 & .115 rear arpeture sizes and the cross hair insert in the front. Nothing seems loose in the sights.

I rest the gun about 3" back from the muzzle. The same all the time. I'm thinking that maybe my hold is the problem? Any advice on hold? Do you hold tight against the shoulder or?

There is 1 unexplained thing I've noticed. I never need to move my rear sight left/right but sometimes the next time I shoot with the same load I have to change the rear sight height. I've had to go from a .68 sight setting one time to a .71 setting next time.

I can't notice anything loose. Should I try to shoot with the forestock removed?

I have found that the crosshair front insert doesn't do as well for me as a simple circle insert. The human eye will find the exact center of the insert as well as the apertures. YMMV but it is a easy test and I cut my groups in half to 1.5" for 10 shots. Let us know what ya figure out.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Just for kicks , maybe go to the thin post insert,use a 6 oclock hold on the bullseye. Lots of times recticles can sort mess things up , unless you have a very good contrasting aiming point.
    Try resting the barrel in the sticks so the barrel is in sticks with the forearm up against the sticks.
    Yes going back and forth 3 points on the sights isn't uncommon. Has a lot to do with the light .
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    I checked and there is no gap between the forearm and the action. Could this be a problem? The rear screw tightens the wood to a mounting block and you can see that the metal & wood make contact. The front screw screws directly into the barrel. I can't tell if the wood can be put under tension by overtightening this screw, but I think so (as the wood is carved out deeper here). Should I relieve some of the wood so there is a slight gap between the forearm & action? Should I tension the front screw only until I can tell the forearm is not loose (maybe put blue loctite on threads so it doesn't loosen?).

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Before you go to messing with the wood etc, you may want to go inside that barrel and do some lead mining. Those 457 bullets undoubtedly left lead deposits in the throat and not far from the muzzle. Once there's absolutely no chance of any lead in the bore, start the shooting over with the .459 bullets, and concentrate on you bench techique and sight picture.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

HPT

Take your forearm off....use a flat bastard file to remove just enough wood from the flat/rear portion in this area...just enough to be able to slip a thin business card betwixt metal and wood. Go to Ace Hardware to the bins where they store the thin neoprene washers that are just about the size of a dime or slightly larger with an inner hole that your forearm screws will fit through. Using a thin amount of glue on the bottom of the washers......place them inside the channel over the screw holes. Reinstall the forearm and don't 'honk' it down too snug; just enough to retain tension! Go back to the range and shoot again!

You can thank me later!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"