Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for lead?

Boolit Buddy

Fair price for lead?

I found a guy that said he has a 55 gal. drum 3/4 full of wheel weight. He wants 150 for it. What do you think?

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    If it really is all lead WW it is probably worth the price but it will weigh about 1500#- bring some friends to help move it.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Mold
    I recently bought 400 lbs ww @ 0.19/lb. It was a 15gal small bbl packed to the top. Your bbl 3/4 full would be about 41.25 gal or about eight 5gal pails. Probably have 1000-1100lbs there depending on quantity of lead/steel/zinc. Way I see it that's 0.13-0.14 /lb. Sounds like a very good deal. Don't wreck your back.

Vendor Sponsor
    Hi,

In my opinion, I think $150.00 is a very, very fair price. My reasoning (and please forgive me if I didn't do the math correctly). I took 55 gallons x .75 = 41.25 (to represent approximately how many gallons take up 3/4 full drum). Then I divided this 41.25 by 5 (to be representative of a 5 gallon bucket that most shops plop their wheel weights into) and I get 8.25 "5 gallon buckets". There has been great discussion on the forum in regard to how much a 5 gallon bucket weighs. So I won't go into that... but I looked into my records of pickups, and I had a lot of buckets weighing around 150 pounds. So, using this figure (which is more likely to be on the conservative side), we get 150x8.25=1237.5LBS Person is asking $150.... so I take 150 divided by 1237.5 = .12 or 12 cents a pound (thereabouts). For my customers, I pay more than .20 cents a pound for WW's. And, I figure about 80% yield on the average - but we now have the zincs, ferrous, and alloys other than lead.... But I am "assuming" that the WW's in that drum contain more lead WW's than the non-lead ones (just like the mix I get from many tire dealerships).

If I lived in your town, and you decided to pass up on this deal, I would humbly ask the location of that drum!!!

In closing, I think it is a very, very fair deal.

With kind regards,

Kathie

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah i was figuring even at 35 gallons its not a bad deal. I just want to get enough put back to last me a few years once it all dries up. Im kinda thinking i might have to take my atv trailer. There is no way im getting that in the back of my truck. Even if he splits it all up for me,i dont want to go through that much effort to unload it.

Boolit Master

I think you should give me the address! If it is really 3/4 full then it should have 41 gallons of lead. A typical 5 gallon bucket will yield about 125 lbs of lead if it is wheelweights, more if not. So you have about 5,000 lbs of lead there. So we're talking about .34 a lb.

Boolit Buddy
    5k??? I think you over estimated. The way i figure it, there should be 800-1000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
    5k??? I think you over estimated. The way i figure it, there should be 800-1000 lbs
    If there is truly 40gal+, that is somewhere between 1400# & 1500#, so I would think 10c/# is a pretty good price in todays times. I am lucky right now, & get mine free, but have paid $20/100# buckets. Location dictates price, but I would certainly pop for that, even if I need to move the drum into 5gal buckets.

One think to think about, that drum probably took a while to fill up, so the farther you go down the less steel and zinc you will find.
    Best motorcycle forum on the net.
    http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/index.php

I would jump on it if it were offered to me.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
    I found a guy that said he has a 55 gal. drum 3/4 full of wheel weight. He wants 150 for it. What do you think?
    I think the SOB is cheating you Where is Raymore Mo. and whar is his name
    8 buckets of wheel weights for $150 is a little less than $20 per bucket. They are bringing more than that here. I would call it a good buy. It isn;t like you can get them for less just down the road.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Good buy, get 'em.

Boolit Master
    Is it worth it??? Well, let me put it this way. If you bring half of it over to my house I'll gladly give you $75!!!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I would buy it yesterday. Pack up a few 50lbs boxes and sell them over in the swapping and selling section to get your money back and the remaining is all free as long as you don’t mind the work!
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

works out to $18.75 per 5 gallon bucket. B U Y I T ! ! !

Boolit Buddy
    The local gun store sells large sticks of lead, thinking mostly ww, for 1.50 per lb. range from 25 to 30 lb. each. Smaller sticks, about 2 lb. each for 1.60 per lb.
    I melt ww, battery lugs, solder and spent range boolits together. Mould in a cornbread stick pan, about 1 lb. each and sell for $1.00 per stick.
    Pure lead and pure tin are harder to find, keeping it separate, sell it for $1.25 per stick. But out of it for now.
    The last time I bought lead from a scrap dealer, ww were .20 per lb. and pure lead was .25 per lb.

Boolit Master
    Get it!
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    I think the SOB is cheating you Where is Raymore Mo. and whar is his name .

Actually they guy is near springfield missouri. But i figured ill pick it up next time i go down to the inlaws.

I wouldn't wait too long, if you go to get it and he sold it to someone else you'll be kicking yourself .
    Best motorcycle forum on the net.
    http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    I wouldn't wait too long, if you go to get it and he sold it to someone else you'll be kicking yourself .
    +! I would contact him, ask if you can send him a $20 dep & hold it until you make it down. 1000#+ of cheap alloy is just too good to let go by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast