Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .50-95 load data, anybody ?

Boolit Bub

.50-95 load data, anybody ?

I just bought a Uberti Winchester 1876 in .50-95..... does anyone out there have any load data for this caliber ?

Cimmaron suggests IMR 4198 but in such a small amount... I'd rather go with AA 5744 or something else that might fill up the case better. Other than black powder, that is. At this price I want to shoot something a bit cleaner burning.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    By all means shoot 5744. If you think of 29% of the BP load by weight equivalent to a workng load of imr 4198, you could start near 25 grains of 5744. See Donally's big manual of cartridge conversions for the discussion. BvT

to edit, that book lists a 350 grain lead bullet, 23 grains of 4198, and velocity of 1350 fps, sourced as Barnes, probablt from COTW.
    Last edited by Baron von Trollwhack; 08-31-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more info
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Bub
    THANKS ! Data for this cartridge is nearly impossible to find for some reason. Can't figure why a company would sell a gun / ammo combo and publish no data. Then I saw the price per box of factory loads. About 80 bucks a box. Nice scam I'd say. Then again, these guns are not just flooding the market right now.

How about TrailBoss to the base of the bullet?

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I would not even think of pulling the trigger on that load, boss. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I would not even think of pulling the trigger on that load

Why not?

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...17838&p=214467

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Now I have heard of this before with the Trail Boss powder. I think from my CBA " Fouling Shot " mag. Something about this powder was supposed to be a remake of an older semi-smokeless formula. But I err on the side of caution when it comes to voodoo loads you hear about. I checked out your link too. Thanks ! I'm going to check back there from time to time and see the results.

I've had a few guys tell me to load with black powder in this gun. Come over to the DARKSIDE they say. OK, maybe later.... but I live in Maine. The humidity in the Downeast area will cause the black powder residue to cake up too much for my liking. I really don't want to have to clean that much fouling from a levergun action. This is supposed to be FUN to shoot, not such a chore to scrub clean.

Any other powder loading data you can think of will be GREATLY appreciated. Eventually I'll start wrapping the projectiles in paper jackets. I like how clean they are in my model 95 Winchester in .30-06.

It isn't voodoo. It's one of the better powders to come around in a while. I use it in my .50-90. Anything between 70 and 100% load density without compression is the proper load range.

Check with IMR, they'll probably call you....they did me.

help@imrpowder.com

913-362-9455

Boolit Bub
    I've been looking at a cimmaron in 50-95 for a couple of weeks, but found on their website that caliber/ twist they use barely stabilizes the 350 grain bullets?

Sounds like they didn't do any research before putting barrels on them.

Allen

The original twist was 60" . The Cimmaron 48" should be just fine. If you have problems, increase the velocity for a few more RPM's.

Cimmaron gives load data for the 375 gn bullet:

http://www.chaparralarms.com/specs/calibers.htm
    Last edited by Skipper; 09-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, and I made a mistake. The gun I am looking at is a Chaparral, and this is what I was refering to"
    History of 50-95 caliber

The largest calibre for the Winchester Model 1876 "Centennial" rifle. Rifles of this calibre were sometimes called the “Cat Gun” due to the fact that many of them were used in Africa and India on lions and tigers.
    The short 300 grain express bullet had a reputation of delivering a tremendous blow up close on soft skinned game, but was also known to loose it’s velocity quickly at extended ranges due to it’s fat and stubby bullet shape.

Rifles have a barrel twist rate of approximately 1 in 60”, so it is unlikely that bullets heavier than 350 grains will stabilise.

I suspect my error was assuming this paragraph was about the gun, but I think it is , as you noted, just a history lesson and not a statement about the Chapparal gun I am considering.

Allen

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .50-95 mod 76 and have shot IMR 4198 in the loadings suggested of 23gr. under a cast bullet of 350gr. If the barrel is tilted up to place the powder next to the primer, all is good and groups small, but if you forget and dont tilt it up the next bullet will stop some 6 to 8 " up the bore. BAD DEAL !!!

I have tested Trail Boss with tha same bullet and I can tell you 14gr. is just a sweet load giving a little over 1100 fps and groups of 1" at 50yd. Soft recoiling and clean. A kid could shoot it all day long.

Here is a link to a report I did on it.
    http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,26375.0.html

Don`t think Trail Boss can be loaded bulk like black powder. It can in certain cases but in the .50-95 and cases like the .45-90 or .45-110 a case full would be an overload!! take care! Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck 100 yd; 09-03-2009 at 11:38 PM.

If you check with IMR, they will tell you that a case full is not an overload as long as you don't compress the powder. It isn't a bulk load. You measure the case capacity to the base of the seated bullet in grains........this is the max load. 70% of that is the starting load.

Boolit Buddy
    I am sure you are correct my friend. I don`t like to push the toggle link rifles that hard though. Just me I guess.
    The data in the Lyman # 49 suggests you are right on with the full but not compressed load though but they have no data for the .50-95 YET!!!

Boolit Buddy
    A little added info. My rifle is a Chaparral with 28" bbl.
    With all the complaing about these rifles, I wonder why my rifle is just fine and has given me no problems.
    I have shot it with black and wads and 1/8" compression ( all the things that make my .40-65 BPCR rifle shoot into under an inch at 100yd. but the .50-95 will not group under 4" at 50yd.
    With the same bullet and Trail Boss it will and has made one ragged hole groups at 50yd. with its factory front and a Marbles tang rear.

The CH4-D dies I bought first form a shoulder on the case and it is fire formed back out when fired. I think they are the proper dies for the Uberti with their modern rendition of the chamber. The new RCBS Legacy dies cost 1/3 rd. the price and are correct for the Chaparral chamber. I will make someone a great deal on those dies. $50 ???

I cast my bullets in Lyman mold 515139 that has had the bevel base machined out of it and size them to .513 .

Have fun!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck 100 yd View Post
    A little added info. My rifle is a Chaparral with 28" bbl.
    With all the complaing about these rifles, I wonder why my rifle is just fine and has given me no problems.
    I have shot it with black and wads and 1/8" compression ( all the things that make my .40-65 BPCR rifle shoot into under an inch at 100yd. but the .50-95 will not group under 4" at 50yd.
    With the same bullet and Trail Boss it will and has made one ragged hole groups at 50yd. with its factory front and a Marbles tang rear.

The CH4-D dies I bought first form a shoulder on the case and it is fire formed back out when fired. I think they are the proper dies for the Uberti with their modern rendition of the chamber. The new RCBS Legacy dies cost 1/3 rd. the price and are correct for the Chaparral chamber. I will make someone a great deal on those dies. $50 ???

I cast my bullets in Lyman mold 515139 that has had the bevel base machined out of it and size them to .513 .

Have fun!!
    So a 350 grain boolit with a starting charge of 14 grains of Trail Boss is the ticket ? THANKS ! Just what I been wanting to know !
    I ain't sure if my 76 is a Chapparal or not. I bought it from a gun shop locally. The barrel says Stoeger on top of it. I'm going to give this a try as soon as I get into town and find a can of TB.

muleequestrian, no one knows what your case capacity is or what bullet you're going to use, so do it from scratch:

Mark the case at the depth of a seated bullet

Fill to this level with TrailBoss

Weigh the charge

70% of this is the start load

100% is the max load

Good Luck!

Boolit Buddy
    muleequestrian , My Uberti 73 in .45 Colt is marked Stoger on the barrel but is made by Uberti. Stoger is an importer and not the maker.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck 100 yd View Post
    muleequestrian , My Uberti 73 in .45 Colt is marked Stoger on the barrel but is made by Uberti. Stoger is an importer and not the maker.
    I sort of figured that..... my two break top Schofields have different marks on their barrels. One says Stoeger, the other says Navy Arms. BOTH pistols say Uberti on them. Made in Italy. Stiil shoot great no matter what's stamped on the guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Uberti 76 in 50-95 a year ago. After making brass from Star-line 50-90 and fireformed with 5744 I started looking for SR4759 loading data and have come up empty. Using the 40% of the black powder load as a starting come up with 36grn for 90 grn BP and 38grn for 95. Does Anyone have a manual with data for SR4759 with the 330 grn Lyman 315139 it would be apreaciated.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast