Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 243 gas checks

Boolit Mold

243 gas checks

I have been thinking about purchasing the RCBS 243-095 SP but noticed that I can't find 243 gas checks. Can a 25 cal. check be sized down to fit, or is there another solution?

In Remebrance

Get them direct from Hornady off the website.

Boolit Mold

243 gas check

Yeah, 'cept Hornady doesn't sell direct, and neither Graf or Midway stock them.

Generous Donator

Buffalo arms has them.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1571.html

they also have this discontinued Lyman Loverin mold in stock.
    I plugged this once already last week.
    Bought one this summer and it cast nice little boolits. Pretty sure they would shoot better in a worn barrel than the bore ride designs but have no experience with it. Both my 243 barrels are brand new this year. Mine cast .2455”. I'd say by the time that didn't fill a 6mm bore it's time for a new barrel.

Boolit Mold
    OK! Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'm set now.

In Remebrance

Hmmmm, they've changed the gas check page. A couple months ago you could buy direct from them. Wonder what made them do that.

Boolit Mold
    Update time. I ordered the Lyman 84 gr. mold and some 6mm gas checks from Buffalo Arms. They arrived today and I think I think I'm going to like that bullet a lot.
    But to hedge my bet, I also ordered the RCBS 243-95 SP mold and some Lee handles from Graf & sons and they should arrive middle of next week.
    I think this will be a fun autumn. These will be used in a H&R Ultra Varmint 243.

Please post the results we all would like to see how well it goes.
    Lead foot;

If you decide you're going to be using a bunch of them, Blammer has 6 mm GatorChecks from time to time in the Group Buy Section. Prices are MUCH better than Buffalo Arms. Some of us are real froooogal.......
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Yes. I had completely forgotten about Gator checks at the time I placed my order. But I've got a thousand Hornadys now, so that'll hold me for a while. I'll definitely be thinking of Gator next month when I'll be needing some 22s and 30s.

Boolit Master

Midsouth has them on there clearence/yardsale page.

Boolit Master
    Was looking at the prices and not bad! Hornady is cheap compared to Lyman...$46+ for 1k of .44's for the Lyman.

I cast for 6mm and 22. Must say that 6mm is much easier to work with and packs more punch. My 6mm is limited to High B.C. Friendly 243 AI barrels in 1-10” twist rate that are not very good CB platforms. To much twist and to much case capacity. Running 243's at full throttle burns a barrel out in 1,500 rounds or less. Where as CB loads would be hard to measure wear. So in spite of the big case and fast twist limits it's still usefull and fun to shoot cast bullets.

I have two 243 AI rifles that sort of stay in rotation as one is always in a state of overhaul. Scopes on those rifles are not top of line but still the best I have and over $500 at todays prices. Variables with 20 and 24 X. Just a lot of fun to shoot and with cast loads it's almost free entertainment. Cast bullet loads give me a way to use these fine toys without burning up the bank and barrel. If I just had a good place to shoot at closer to an hours drive.

One of the bench rest chambering like 6mm PPC or better a 6mm Rem BR. Generally both use a 1-14” twist would be fine for CB. Load the 6mm BR with 70gr Sierra BlitzKings and they will slaughter P dogs or yotes at long range. 6 x 47mm or a 223 x 6mm if you want to run mil surplus 223 brass necked up are chambering that always looked good to me but I've never had them. Either make good cross over single shot pistol rounds also.

About now some of you lucky shooters are shaking your heads. ? . Well I live in Illinois where you can't shoot deer or any big game legal with a rifle. So a coyote is as big as our target gets. 223 will do it all and anything bigger is just a big gun. Even the little 6mm is a cannon in Illinois.

I finally got a good 22 mould a couple weeks ago. A Lyman #225646. It actually cast right on proper size. Must use very nice alloy to get good bullets with a 22 mould as compared to a 6mm mould which will run any old junk. I use two parts 2/6 magnum bullet alloy to one part Linotype for my 22's. At 60 grains per bullet it's still cheap shooting though. Plus a 60 grain 22 at 2,300 fps will kill anything in Illinois.

Boolit Master

6mm checks for trade?

Quote Originally Posted by melchior View Post
    I have been thinking about purchasing the RCBS 243-095 SP but noticed that I can't find 243 gas checks. Can a 25 cal. check be sized down to fit, or is there another solution?
    I have a spare box or 2 of 6mm Hornady style crimp on checks that I'll trade straight across for any of the following sizes (crimp on only):
    .25 caliber
    .30 caliber
    .32/8mm

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I have a spare box or 2 of 6mm Hornady style crimp on checks that I'll trade straight across for any of the following sizes (crimp on only):
    .25 caliber
    .30 caliber
    .32/8mm
    Thanks for the offer, but I got some 6's from Buffalo Arms, and I don't have any to trade.