Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope these shoot as good as they look! RCBS 55 gr

Boolit Buddy

I hope these shoot as good as they look! RCBS 55 gr

I will find out tomorrow morning. My targets are up, spotting scope in place and I will be sitting at the bench at around 8:30. I will have my Remington 722 and a cup of coffee as I begin to lob these downrange. I have high hopes for this rifle. Hope I won't be disappointed. These are 55 gr cast from a RCBS mold.

Malcolm

Boolit Bub
    Keep us posted with the results,load,etc and good luck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Interested in all the data & results.

You need a radius on your top punch. Or is that from your seating stem?
    I found the breaking point for accuracy with that bullet in a 223 to be around 2000 fps.
    Last edited by FLHTC; 06-11-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Is that a 222 rem cartridge you have them loaded in?
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I sent the last of mine cast from a borrowed mold downrange last month . It was pretty easy to get good accuracy with in a Remington and three Savages . Currently working with some other designs but going to try the older RCBS cousin to that soon I hope .

Jack

Boolit Master
    """"I found the breaking point for accuracy with that bullet in a 223 to be around 2000 fps. """"
    What you found was for your gun with your components with your alloy and your casting skills and your loading equipment and your skills in using them and likely a couple other things I left out.
    That accuracy breaking point you established may have little or nothing to do with anyone else when any one or more of those things are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    """"I found the breaking point for accuracy with that bullet in a 223 to be around 2000 fps. """"
    What you found was for your gun with your components with your alloy and your casting skills and your loading equipment and your skills in using them and likely a couple other things I left out.
    That accuracy breaking point you established may have little or nothing to do with anyone else when any one or more of those things are changed.
    Did i say otherwise? I was just stating what i found with the 223. Geeze another zipcode

Boolit Master
    The way you worded it seemed like a blanket statement to me. Please explain what you mean by "" Geeze another zipcode""
    If I an experience boolit user and knowing otherwise took your statement to mean that what you found was being suggested as an absolute how difficult it must be for beginners to sort out false claims and or poorly communicated results.
    What you found was """ THE """breaking point for accuracy for your gun, components etc. and not ""THE "" breaking point for the boolit design which is the idea I got when I read the post.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    ...and likely a couple other things I left out.
    you left out lube !
    how could you leave out lube

A newbie (like myself not too long ago) could get a cold shot fouler flier or a cyclical excess lube clearing flier in his/her groups and may think...that darn boolit just can't be pushed that fast. Or just plain out Lube inadequacies.

and lastly, sometimes I need to drag out some tried and true j-word loads to confirm it isn't the finger on the end of my ham fist.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Oh my! Please forgive my forgetfulness. I sometimes forget there are other lubes besides Lotak.

Boolit Master

I have the NOE clone of that RCBS mould and they feed and function well in my 20" barelled AR. No leading so far (fingers crossed). Accuracy has been good but still needs some tweaking, both with Varget and IMR4064. Unfortunately I don't have a chrony so I can't post any velocities.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    Did i say otherwise? I was just stating what i found with the 223. Geeze another zipcode
    Since this gentleman seems to have abandoned this discussion will someone take a stab at what he meant by the """ geeze another zip code""" remark?
    I have an idea its something derogatory but being a simple minded sort I don't really know. Is it a new in vogue insult or something like that? Or maybe it is a compliment to my vast boolit knowledge or something like that. Tell me the truth I can take it.

Boolit Grand Master
    It may well mean you are too old to understand both his comment initially and then his rebuke.

Don't feel bad, I am in the same old boat.

Just because it doesn't work for one doesn't mean it can't work for someone else. Just the same it may work for you and not for me.

This is why we TRY new things, isn't it?

In another discussion it was pointed out that most of those with high post counts disagreed with his stance. He said even though they have post counts that look like zipcodes...........
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah, the new guy who knows it all. We really like those around here.

Maybe he should know that only 11 people here qualify as a "zip code" and none of them posted on this thread.

Boolit Master
    OH OK I get it now. I am not offended by it. Some folks are so easily offended by others not agreeing with their point of view. This is a discussion board and I believe is what we are here to do, to discuss varying points of view to come to a more knowledgeable point of view.
    It seems as though our views are not different just misunderstood.
    Much of this that seems obvious to some is elusive to others. When I was starting out I read such blanket statements as what I thought was being made here from the sources that we relied on like Lyman. In my own learning experience I found many of the old accepted beliefs not true so it can be hard for beginners reading some of the same old info sources.
    I am sorry that my pointing out what may be obvious and needs not to be said to many with much experience has offended. There are however many with far less experience that it may help eliminate some confusion for.
    Plainly put I took the statement to mean that there had been a 2000 fps accuracy limit put on the boolit design and I was trying to point out that it was not a limit.

Banned

i'm not reading this, i'm not reading this....la,la,la,
    there definitely is not a 2-k fps ceiling on the rcbs-055s boolit.

if you just cast a couple of pounds of them and lump them all in one pile and shoot them all together then yeah 2-k is probably gonna be about all you get as far as keeping them in the same area on the paper.

if you want the higher velocity's [or better accuracy] you will have to put out more effort than that, but that is how it works with everything ain't it.

I've got a 219 Hornet, that I'm thinking I am gonna ream to K

it has a 1/16 twist

I am hoping I can get a little more than 2k out of it.

I'm trading off my RCBS22-055FN so I can afford the NOE 225107. in the future, I may go heavier... not sure how heavy I can go though!

With the PB/CU alloy, I should be able to turn it into a nice Moose Gun!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Maybe so. I used my Ruger single six in 22 ccm for the finishing shot on a large bull moose. It was loaded with the original RCBS 55gn but modified to 50gn PB. It clocked 1330 fps from the 6" barrel. The shot was to the top of the head angling downward to the throat. When we ate the toung we found the bullet and it was about half its original weight.
    A moose load?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast