Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: .357 1" in 20"

Boolit Master

.357 1" in 20"

I have a chambered .357 Mag. bull barrell blank on it's way the twist is 1" in 20". What type of bullet will work with this twist? I can cast from .74 gr. to 214 gr. for this caliber, thinking of doing a stub project.

Thanks,

Lucky Joe
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I m surprised that nobody responded to you, so I'm going to revive this old thread. I have a BSA Martini Cadet in .357 with 1:20" twist barrel, fittex with Unertl scope which I use for ammo testing.

The best .38 Special match ammo and jacketed .357s will shoot inch groups at 50 yards. In .357 loads it handles up to 180-grain bullets accurately. Loads with 200-grain cast loads are less accurate, but acceptable. Cast bullets over about 215 grains shoot poorly and bullets over 0.90" long show yaw in the bullet holes in target paper.

I have a Win LW in 357 Max. with a 20 twist. I haven't played with it a lot but, I can stabilize a 358315 (208 gr) at 1430 fps with a 1" group @ 100. It will also take that same bullet to 1832 in the 28" barrel but at 2" grouping. Another good bullet for the 20 twist is the 35875, also 208 but PB. I've shot 3/4" groups with that bullet, breech seated.

The bullet alloy for all the groups was 22/1 lead/tin and the powder was WC820.

Frank