Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco RotoMetals2

Thread: Mosin-Nagant 1938 Carbine & Gallery Loads

Boolit Mold

Mosin-Nagant 1938 Carbine & Gallery Loads

I am thinking about picking up a Model 38 Carbine to be used with gallery loads at distances of 50 t0 75 ft. (indoor range) utilizing the Lee 32 cal. 90 gr. semi-wadcutter pistol bullet. Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot. Has anyone on the forum tried the 38 carbine with similar loads? What has your experience been? Thanks. Contact me at: ordway@intergate.com.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordway;

I have just begun to experiment with Speer 100 gr. half jacketed bullets and about 7.0 gr of Unique in a Moisin Nagant 91/30 long rifle. Accuracy at 25 and 50 yards has been OK, but I am looking for better. The indoor range I have a membership at will not allow rifles in high power cartridges, no matter what the loading.

I believe there is a lot of potential there, and it will be fun experimenting. The 91/30 is undergoing a little cleaning up, so the project is going slowly now. I will keep you posted.

I also have a Saeco 4 cavity fat 30 mold that is rated at about 115 grains. After I get a feel for the rifle with the Speer bullets, I will break out this mold.

Take care.

Sean

In the link below is some history etc. about gallery loads and cat sneezes.

Gunwriters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ordway
    I am thinking about picking up a Model 38 Carbine to be used with gallery loads at distances of 50 t0 75 ft. (indoor range) utilizing the Lee 32 cal. 90 gr. semi-wadcutter pistol bullet. Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot. Has anyone on the forum tried the 38 carbine with similar loads? What has your experience been? Thanks. Contact me at: ordway@intergate.com.
    I shoot a lot of the Lee TL314-90-SWC in numerous .30 and .31s including 7.62x54R. I have been shooting them for years. The Hornady 90 gr swaged .32 lead bullets do just as well. "Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot" takes them out of "gallery range" and accuracy is not all that good. In the 7.62x54R I use 3 gr of bulleye, velocity will be about 850 fps from your rifle with this bullet sized 312 to .314.

Sizing of the bullet is dependant on a tight slip fit into the cases fire formed neck. Just chamfer the case mouth so the bullet is a tight push with the fingers to seat. The lube holds it in place for single loading (I size the neck for those run through the magazine). Thus I just wipe the case off, deprime, charge with 3 gr Bullseye, finger seat the bullet and shoot. Those "throw away" cases with the hairline ring at the web indicating a probable head seperation are perfect for this. I have some I have been using for years with this load and no seperation yet.

In my MNs with good bores this load will shoot into 1.5" at 50 yards and a ragged hole at 50'. It is the quintisimal "gallery" load.

Larry Gibson