Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastcoReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kroil in the mould - I did it, it works!

Boolit Master
    Kroil looks like more of a solvent/surfactant combination to me. It's advertised function is to penetrate rusted parts. It probably contains some lubricant that may not be hydrocarbon related. In my old line of work we used butyl benzyl pthalate for lube on everything from machinery to spray guns as it had no affect on any of the coatings we made.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

They're having a special on it now. I ordered two spray cans for a little over $12.00 delivered.

Boolit Bub

Kroil (mold release)

FWIW, Looking at their website I see Kroil also offers a special product specifically for mold release. It's called (Parteze Mold Release) and a free can is available when your order a regular or larger size can or Kroil from them.
    You can read their info for yourselves but description states that it's silicone based and is repellent to oil and water and heat resistant.
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Boolit Bub
    peter nap,
    Who's offering the special and on what size cans?
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

That Parteze stuff looks interesting. They have many interesting products on the website. Maybe they will become a site sponsor, with all the business we are pushing their way.

Briarpatch - If you go here - https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/index.shtml - you will see the free trial offer on the checkout page. Free can of your choice with purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIARPATCH View Post
    peter nap,
    Who's offering the special and on what size cans?
    http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Unhappy

Tried the Kroil swab on my balky Ly. 245496 yesterday (swabbed, let it sit and preheat, wiped the excess from the cavities) and found no material difference in performance or CB diameter. To wit, the front cavity was still balky, but a bit of smoking with a wooden match worked better than Kroil. Also, if I cast and cooled the mold a la Bruce B., I'm sure the CB's would have fallen with little coaxing on my part.

Boolit Master
    Tried the Kroil swab (swabbed, let it sit and preheat, wiped the excess from the cavities) and found no material difference in performance or CB diameter. but a bit of smoking with a wooden match worked better than Kroil.
    Ditto experience here with my mould.

Boolit Master
    NAPA sells a similar product called "Knock 'R Loose" - works well to clean barrels and actions.

did th kroil thing on my lyman 427098 mold and now it will not fill either cavity all the way up. washed the mold in hot soap and water and still it will not fill the cavities all the way up. any one have any ideas as to whatt's going on ? did i wreck my mold using this stuff......

Try cleaning good with white gas or brake cleaner as well then whipe clean with a qtip. I also tried Kroil again a few nights ago in a Lee six banger that had some sticking boolits. Ended up with wrinkly boolits for a half dozen or so fills. Finally they began to drop OK again, but still sticking in the same cavities. Smoked the stubborn cavs and it improved a little.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

I guess some never learn. and from several molds I have bought I can understand. It does work and works good . If you do it right . It is like "seasoning an iron skillet" once done its forever. It takes a little longer to get a AL mold to season than a steel one.
    Heat the AL to casting temp. take Qtip and wet inside of cavity. It will dry cast about 10 sets. they will not be very good. Spray the mold all over and let cool. next time wipe the wet off and heat mold cast about 10 more sets. you will see they improve. sray the mold and let cool again. repeat same thing wipe the wet and cast .This time you should get 90% and most will fall out. Every time do same thing Spray after you finish and let cool. at about 10 times I rarely have to tap a mold.

Why not? I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll try that the next time.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

Or you could just cast a few hundred bullets and let the natural coating take over and they will cast well. They best casting LEE moulds I have are the ones that are brown most everywhere. What it seems to me you are doing is just speeding up the natural coating process. I have never had a mould that didn't get better with use, at least not aluminum ones. Don't use that many steel ones, and most of them are used and work fine already. If I ever get one that just won't release properly after a break-in I might try this, but of the 35 LEE 6 cav's I use I haven't had one yet. Reminds me of a Diesel Engine repair class I took once, actually it was the transmission repair part of the course. The teacher said that whenever he rebuilt a tranny he would take a dremel tool and round off all the edges of the dogs to make for a smoother shifiting tranny. Some of the students protested this precedure, felt he was just shortening the life of the tranny for the purpose of an immediately smooth tranny. Which he was. It would have smoothed out by itself in due time. My moulds always drop bullets properly eventually, with out my having to cast a bunch of bad bullets. Either way will work, I suppose. Just a different approach.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like it may have filled the venting grooves?

I suppose that one of you guys are gonna tell us that RainX will work as a mold release too!

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

Lightbulb HMMM! Think you got something

Quote Originally Posted by redbear705 View Post
    I suppose that one of you guys are gonna tell us that RainX will work as a mold release too!

JR
    Try it and give us a report. Who knows?

I've had pretty good luck with my Lee 6 cavity handgun moulds and double cavity rifle moulds, after thoroughly cleaning the mould first with brake cleaner (outside, of course) and carefully deburring, preheating on a hotplate, casting and then lubing with bullplate per the instructions, and then casting away, realizing that the first few casts are going back into the pot.

I have had the same experience as Springfield a few posts earlier with using the moulds until they are seasoned nice and brown.

Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Just sent away for the 2 for 1 google deal.

thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Kroil too! It's truly one of those things that has a CR@PTON of different uses in a man's workshop!

Boolit Master
    I've used moly film on 30 cal bullets. https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/index.shtml

Been using kroil product for quite a while. The kroil+graphite combo is good for exterior stuff like car hinges.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast