Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kroil in the mould - I did it, it works!

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of Kroil, Aerokroil and Silikroil but would never have guessed that it would help thusly with casting!

Next sticky casting session, I'll try it.

Three 44s

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Hmmmmm, I remember reading one of the earlier post on Kroil being a great release agent but forgot about it. I keep several cans of the stuff in my shop. I’ll have to remember this and try it out next time that I’m casting with one of my finicky moulds.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Aero Kroil rocks!!
    masscaster
    Look for the Orange Can!!

Been using Kroil for barrel prep for years. Recently started using it on my molds a couple of months ago. I love the stuff!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

After reading the older post a few months ago, I tried it in one of my stubbern Lee molds. It helped some with dropping boolits but I didn't get monstrous improvement in that mold, but also didn't get any wrinkles. IIRC, the thought was in Steel molds it would fill the pores more than aluminum. I am not knocking it. I'm just saying I think the improvement is greater in steel than aluminum. Love Kroil to clean my barrels!
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Banned

I've still gotta try this. I first heard about it from Shotman earlier this weekhttp://http://castboolits.gunloads.c...ad.php?t=58839

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I use it to rustproof my moulds. I use it also to clean lead out of barrels. The only problem i have is that it cleans it too clean. I have to shoot about 5 rounds to condition the bore again. It is magical on lead smears. Shoot it in (aerosol) let it sit for about 3 - 5 minutes and use a plain patch to push the lead out! The first time I did this I was amazed. The lead came out of the bore/land grooves in strips.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    try it on chicken legs you will not believe it

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
    Is it just standard Kroil? [they have so many different products at their website.]

Do you have to pay a HazMat fee for shipping????

Is there a local chain store place that sells it, like ACE hardware etc?
    During their promotion I ordered some acid unknowingly. They shipped it w/o HazMat but in reading it, I picked up that I wasn't supposed to have it. Its advertised as a rust remover.

I spray the kroil oil onto my iron blocks at the end of the session. Then degrease it w/carb cleaner while the alloy is heating. Perhaps degreasing step isn't necessary?

Boolit Master
    I wish I was a chemist, just so I'd know why that would work!!

Boolit Master

Well it took you all long enough to try it. I bought a mold off feebay its a lee 6 cav . it is the spcl run of the 165gr tl fp. I found out why he sold it . I cleaned it and used the Kroil cast about 100 and 90% were trash. I took more Kroil and heated it with a torch [not real hot] and sprayed it and let cool. sprayed again and wiped off wet and cast another 100 or so. This time it was about 50% trash. Let cool and sprayed again. Cast about 100 more. That time was donwn to 10% and most of those were my doing .
    Do not clean off after you use it . You will need to wipe the face and use the Q tip to keep from getting a build up on the face of the block . It will clean its self in the cav.
    It DOES NOT prevent rust on the steel molds[does on al molds I guess] After the mold gets seasoned I can cast 200 or more before they dont drop when you open the mold.
    It DOES NOT change the size like the smoke or spray release. If you have one that is smoked or sprayed the Kroil will clean it up . New molds should be cleand of the shipping oil/coating with actone or the like Most all NAPA stores have it rick
    The best surprize was what it done to a 25acp mold

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have used Kroil for years in doing any type of machine work. I keep a can next to my drill press for that chore. I had a friend with severe leading in his 44-40. I told him to soak the barrel with Kroil and let it stand over night. The next day all the leading was lifted and went easy out the bore. When I use it to clean any new gun barrel also. I also jumped on the deal of 2 Areo-Kroils to your door for the price of one. I remember when WD-40 first hit the market and the raves it got. Kroil has been around for years and is somewhat a hidden product. The use of inside the mold cavity is new even to me and I already am using it for mold storage. But I've only been casting for 38 years so I'm still in the learning process. I've been cleaning my molds with acetone and now find out I should leave it there. Amazing!!! Long live KROIL
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Temporary hijack:

Someone mentioned barrel effects with Kroil.

I won't dis Kroil for cleaning but for barrel coating and then firing, my best has been hand lapping with USP or JB bore paste and then final clean and season with CorrosionX then dry patch it down to a steady roar.

Hijack off

Three 44s

Great post Lloyd! I just remembered that I have a mold that could benefit from "Kroiling." And, as luck would have it, I happen to need some of those CB's. I'll let you know how this turns out. Btw, Monty will be away for the Aug. 14 meeting in case he didn't e-mail you about it.

I have that same carbine mould and one the cavities is a "bugger" ... know what to try next time! Thanks ...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn47 View Post
    try it on chicken legs you will not believe it
    No kiddin' - I'm gonna smoke some ribs and spray it on for baste...

Boolit Master

I just run about 200 more. I got it this time. Only loss was my fault. Those were moving mold too fast to get a base fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    Jeez, you guys are worse than Perfume sales girls...
    But the sales girl's smell a heck of a lot better
    Cloudpeak

Banned

My guess is Kroil doesn't gas off at casting temps. But has anyone tried Bullplate in the cavities yet? I have had some get in the cavity and just wiped it off and cast with no problems.
    We just might have two good products to play with.

I used kroil on my new mihec 44 hp mold this afternoon to clean the HP pin arms that slide through the mold. I had to work on this mold a little to get it to close properly (didn't take too much). After I cleaned the whole mold with brake cleaner and warmed it up to cook off the condensation, I touched up the pins with the kroil and it got in the cavities.

I figured i'd see how it went and after the mold heated up things went really really well. I noticed the bullets started dropping easily without wrinkles about the time I caught the smell of the kroil burning off.

BTW This is a brass mold.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast