WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kroil in the mould - I did it, it works!

Kroil in the mould - I did it, it works!

There was a thread here about 2 months ago about using Kroil in the mould cavities to improve the "castability" of a mould. Here is a link to the original thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55260

I will admit I had my doubts about it. Commonly accepted cast boolit wisdom is that any oil in a mould is bad and will cause wrinkled boolits. I do know from experience the preservative oil in a new mould needs to be removed or you get wrinkles. So from that many casters infer that all oil is bad and to apply oil on purpose just makes no sense at all.

I have a new Lyman 311359 that I acquired to feed a National Postal Meter 30 Carbine. The boolit does well in the carbine, but the mould is a real chore to use. The front cavity hangs up badly, and requires many forceful blows to release. I cleaned and cleaned and looked for burrs, but still the production rate was low and the fatigue and frustration level high.

So today I used Kroil in the cavities. The Kroil I have is liquid, not spray, so I soaked a Q-tip and throughly wet both cavities, waited a bit, then swabbed the excess out. Once the mould got up to temperature, it was like a different mould. The front cavity still needed an occasional tap, but the improvement was astonishing. My production rate shot up, and the frustration was way down. I quickly got into that "groove" where boolits are falling perfect with every cast and you want no interruptions. It was a beautiful thing.

So if you have a balky mould, ignore past "wisdom" and try Kroil in the cavities.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Amazing isn't it? I too have transformed a balky stubborn mold into something quite resembling that is a joy to use with Kroil.
    I use it frequently now,, and smoking a mold here is a relic of the past.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Bub

Learn something new.

I guess after 35 years of bullet casting you can still learn something new. I have a mold that I will try it on. It will sure beat having to beat the *#@%& out of it to get the bullets to fall out. I sure hope it works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Although not really a betting man, you could have taken some money from me. Whenever I have had bad, wrinkled, or incomplete fillout it is because of the incomplete removal of oil.

What does Kroil have in it that doesn't act like and oil contaminant??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Does it only work with steel and iron, or has it worked with aluminum also?
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Works great with aluminum molds, steel,,whatever.

I have no idea why,, or what it has in it,, no chemical engineer degree here,, but it flat works.

Now when I get a new mold,, I spray it with carb cleaner or boil it out first,, then try casting a few times when I get the mold hot,, gives me the opportunity to apply bull plate anyway,, then if the mold does not want to cooperate it gets the Kroil treatment.

Between Bullplate and Kroil,, we achieve happiness and get the boolits without beating up the molds.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

You guys ask excellent questions. This is the first time I tried this, so am far from an expert on the subject. I would refer you to the thread linked in the OP for a more thorough discussion. The linked thread is 3 pages that touch on your questions.

Banned

kroil huh? hmmm I got a bad dog mould that I'll have to try it on....

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Its majic dude I sometimes wear a chicken feet lucky charm if iam haveing a bad casting day.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

In Remebrance

Someone do us a favor- measure the castings before and after the Kroil goes in. I'm thinking it's leaving a coating of some kind. If it works that's great, but how think is the coating and does it affect boolit diameter?

Bret,, it's wiped on,, then wiped off ..
    Dip a q-tip in the Kroil,, like Brycreem, a little dab will do ya,, then wipe the cavities and spin the q-tip and wipe it out with the clean end.

Really,, its also a great way to find any burrs in a cavity as well, but it literally isn't meant to be a layer,, if anything its a micro-thin one that would be impossible to measure.

Its similar to Bullplate in it's application,, less is more. And a little bit goes a long , long way.

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Kroil is magic stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I have a number of rifles with non-stainless barrels I shoot regularly, and they shoot to a different POI if the bore is clean or oiled, but if I Kroil them I get no change in POI and no rust. YMMV.

The stuff creeps everywhere, so I store them muzzle down.

Is it just standard Kroil? [they have so many different products at their website.]

Do you have to pay a HazMat fee for shipping????

Is there a local chain store place that sells it, like ACE hardware etc?

Boolit Grand Master

I bought Aero Kroil on line (they had a special) 2 cans for $12.00. No hazmat fees

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Yep, the stuff is truly magic. Don't know the how or the why, but it works.

I hope all the posters who said they'd try it would let us know their results.

Perhaps a Kroil sticky?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    OK, OK... I have plenty of Kroil, but now I'm going to have to try this... and I ordered some BullPlate too...

Jeez, you guys are worse than Perfume sales girls...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

this will be a sticky after a while,, don't want to copy it too soon.

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I never would have thought. Will try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Someone do us a favor- measure the castings before and after the Kroil goes in. I'm thinking it's leaving a coating of some kind. If it works that's great, but how think is the coating and does it affect boolit diameter?
    Bret - I just measured some I cast 2 weeks ago and compared them to the ones cast today. Any difference is undetectable by my micrometer.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast