WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most versatile rifle cartridge for hunting ?

Most versatile rifle cartridge for hunting ?

If you had to pick one rifle cartridge for hunting everything from mice to moose, which would it be? (cast boolit only) . My vote would be 30-06. I don't own one, but it would be my choice.

Boolit Master
    30-06 and .308 are good but I would choose one of the following....
    .358 Win.
    .35 Whelen
    .35 Win.
    I have a Whelen but just got a Ruger Frontier in .358 Win that'll probably be my main hunting rifle if I can get the feeding issues fixed...
    The 9.3's are neat also...
    Actually anything between .358 Win. and the .405 Win turn my crank for cast boolit hunting rifles...
    How's that for pinning it down?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    .358 Win does it all.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    45-70 ... can be loaded for bear or jackrabbits alike.

I edited my post because I missed the cast bullet only part. This dismisses the 30-06 in my book. I know alot of folks hunt deer with cast 30 caliber slugs. I am not one of them.

I'm changing my choice to 35 caliber now that I've thought it over. I just thought the 30 cal might be better at long range. I love the 45-70 but the rainbow trajectory limits it's practical range. (That is unless you use one of the pointed boolit designs)......hmmmm

Vote for the 223. Seriously. I would want to be allowed a few rounds of fmj Ball ammo for the polar bears though.

Don't know what kind of situation you are imagining that would leave you with only one gun but any I can dream up are dire. I'm thinking I have to carry everything I have on my back. So I'd want a 6 ½ lb rifle and 5 lbs of ammo. Since a loaded 223 is way better than an empty 358 I go with the 22.

I can't help thinking a 375 or 35 cal would fit the bill but wonder how well a 220gr RN cast at 2000fps would do. Not sure on bears or buffalo! (I don't have either but might come across a feral bull - not that I've heard of it in my parts).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    If you had to pick one rifle cartridge for hunting everything from mice to moose, which would it be? (cast boolit only) . My vote would be 30-06. I don't own one, but it would be my choice.
    Yeap, hard to beat the old '06.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I'll go out on a limb here and suggest .357 magnum. Snake loads through full tilt 200+ solids and HPS, and everthang in between. A good handgun and a good carbine or rifle, and you are all set. Even down load to .38s for light game. Done to fit almost any situation, it could work.

Now, since the question was for RIFLE cartridge, mouse to moose, that's easy. 30-06 (or if you have to .308 Win.).

Boolit Grand Master
    Most versatile? My vote goes for the .30-06.

Boolit Master
    Any caliber you can shoot accuratle

"Moderator Emeritus"

Since the question is for CAST only, I would go with my 444 Marlin. Round balls @ 850 fps through 300gr @ 2000 fps. Now if I could shoot Jacketed, it'd be the 06 hands down.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Bub
    06 gets the vote here

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A lot of your choice would be dictated by the local game. If their is no bears or critters that bite, just about anything will do and the 223 would be a good choice for a cool hand. Cheap as chips to run. If dangerous game is about, well 444s and 45/70s are handy to have.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned
    As I sit here pndering and staring at the racks.....I honestly cannot think of any situation that the 35Whelen loaded with 225grain cast cannot accomplich in N America.....downloaded poof loaded cast peestol boolits could fill the pot with them lil critters also.

The 35rem that sits beneath the Whelen could do it all also if the range was of no concern, but seeing as how I only get to pick one.....the 35Whelen gets the nod.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Since the question was "cast only" I think I'd pick the 8 x 57. The 06 would probably be my second choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

.30-06

I would have to give another for the ol .30-06. It has never let me down yet. You can load her up or down and have the confidence of a kill shot.

Marlimreloader

In cases where the shot may be a long one, can the 35's hang with the '06?
    Which will shoot flatter and still deliver serious horsepower at say...250 yards with a cast bullet?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    In cases where the shot may be a long one, can the 35's hang with the '06?
    Which will shoot flatter and still deliver serious horsepower at say...250 yards with a cast bullet?
    If 250 yds is long range, I wouldn't worry about the trajectory of the 45-70. Stick it in a good lever gun or single shot and load it appropriately, and it shoots flatter than you think. A 440 cast at 1,800 shoots pretty flat, and I'm quite sure will out power any .30 at cast velocities, at that range.

Boolit Master

I would vote 45-70. May not need all of the power but if I did it would be there. Also in a pinch I could load black powder.
    Larry