Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a second single stage press

Having a second single stage press

I was at a friend's house yesterday and scored an rcbs rock chucker supreme with roller handle and an rcbs power trimmer/case prep station for free! Now that I have a second rock chucker, what should I set it up for? Those of you that have multiple single stage presses, what do you like to use them for? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Never hurts to have a lee universal decaping die at the ready .

Boolit Master

I have a dedicated Rock Chucker I use to size bullets on using Lee Sizer Dies. It is in another building apart from where I reload.

Boolit Grand Master
    I decap military cases with a Lee Universal die in a RC in case a berdan case in encountered. I have a case kicker on it so it is faster than the Co-Ax.

I plan the press to process .40 brass to remove bulges from Glock chambers.

The Co-Ax is used for load development and to produce hunting and varmint ammunition.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I do boolit sizing and decapping on a Hornady classic and everything else on a Redding Big Boss II. Usually. I also have a Hornady L&L AP in the mix.
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Decapping, Lee EZ-Trim die holder, swage die for crimp removal in primer pocket of military brass, Lee bullet sizing. Gas Check maker.

Note each of these can be spun in quickly, because all the way down or stop ring controls depth well. Biggest use for me is bullet sizing and case trimming, but set up right now for prime pocket swaging as I work through a batch of .223 / 5.56 brass.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

i have 4 single stage presses bolted to the bench spartan 1 is for the size de-prime die, spartan 2 m-die and re-prime, spartan 3 seating, lee classic for boolit sizing

Why worry about it being 'dedicated'...just let the two of them work together however it best suits your needs...a single stage press has to do it all.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Flexible is good. A small cheap Lee classic cast mounted upside down is IMO handy.

Universal flaring tool is handy to have in a press at times.

Some Lee dies no longer seat and crimp in one operation, but take 2.
    A second press is a wham bam thank you ma'am over and done operation.

Let time be your guide, heck live a little, see how many things you can find to do with it.

Boolit Master

I use one for decapping and small job priming, as well as bullet-pulling.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I do case prep on my Rockchucker and assembly on my C&H 444 where it is charge, seat bullet and crimp by moving the cartridge across the three front stations.

You could do the same thing with 2 or 3 of the Small Lee C presses that are like $25 each, by lining them up on a 1x4 to clamp to your bench when you need to. Those presses aren't strong enough to do F/L sizing IMO, but are fine for seating bullets and crimping. It's a simple and inexpensive way to speed up production.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

If I'm preparing to load something that I traditionally do on single stage, I'll put the sizing die in one press and the expander in the other. I typically buy 2 shell holders and the presses are next to earth other so it saves time. Beyond that, I generally keep a universal decapper on one and a gas check seating or expanding setup on the other.

I load for a lot of leverguns and use a Lee FCD in one press while I seat the bullet in another. Also, the universal decapper is another use for the second press.

Boolit Grand Master

I have three presses I use "regularly" with a Rock Dock mounting system. I have a heavy duty CH "O" press I use for heavy work (sizing jacketed bullets, heavy case sizing, etc.) and some decapping. I also have a Pacific "C" press I use for priming and bullet sizing (Lee dies), and my go to, all around press is my Co-Ax...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I used a single stage for years. Then I traded into a second single-stage press.
    I mounted them next to each other - I put sized and primed cases in the first, to flare and charge, then moved the case to the second press to seat and crimp.

Man, I was in tall cotton !

Then I got the turret press.....

Boolit Grand Master

I'm like Randy, but instead of his 444 I have a Brown Bair three station press. However, I find that, since I decap and expand in one stage, then polish, prime off station, and use my B&M powder measure, I then seat and crimp on the Bair. That means I usually use two of the three stations most of the time. The exception is when I load 44-40 and have the powder compression die in a station. Then I use all three. When I seat and crimp I keep the expand die (Usually an M die) in one station just in case I missed one (it has happened!) or come across a shorter case (45ACP sometimes happens) and need to turn the stem down a touch to get enough expansion.

While the throw of the RCBS units may be a little extreme for pistol loading you could do the same thing with two of them mounted side by side. With a powder measure between them you could decap and resize rifle shells on one, put them in the cleaner, reprime with a hand primer, then mount your M die in one an your seat die in the other.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    When working up rifle loads, 1 to size and the other to seat. For handgun, 1 to seat and the other to crimp.

I have a lee O frame i abuse for sizing lead and rifle cases.

Its mounted to a 4x4 that's drilled to the wall. I made it sturdy cause i pc before sizing. So certain calibers Are tough to size.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master

my second is for upside down sizing using the Lee sizing dies.

two nice things about this:
    1. bullets drop into a large container so I don't have to worry about the Lee red one getting pushed open by the sized bullets
    2. very easy to place unsized bullets in the sizing die, no 'careful placement on shaft' or spring around shaft to keep the bullets from falling off.

did take a few minutes to get used to pushing up to size them vs. normal push down--but not a big deal
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I have 3 single stages in a row on a 2x6, and a fourth on a short piece of 2x6.

I use the first three for assembly line rifle. For cast, it is usually Redding neck S bushing sizing die, Lee/NOE expander, and seating. For jacketed, it is usually body die, Redding S FL bushing die, and seater.

The fourth press is a Forster that usually has a decap die mounted.

I also have a progressive for handgun.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast