Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: .45 Colt in Winchester 1873

.45 Colt in Winchester 1873

For all of you who shoot the Uberti 1873 Winchester copy in .45 Colt, I have one to brag about.

Back in 1981 I ordered a Winchester 1873 Carbine from Navy Arms. When I received the rifle it was chambered for .44 WCF. Having a handgun in .45 Colt, I wanted a lever gun in the same caliber. I engaged the services of a great gunsmith, Bill Gostomsky, who now resides in Western Maryland.

I had him replace the barrel with a Douglas .45 caliber barrel and chambered for the .45 Colt. The rate of twist was 1:16, something I insisted on. After a four month wait, I finally got my rifle back. With Lee 255 grain RNFP's it shoot 1.5 inches at 75 feet.

The best group I got was with Winchester .45 Colt and their 255 grain conical. This was before the various "Cowboy" loads we have today.

This rifle proved to be a great plinker and fun gun and was used by me at the 1984 End of Trail.

I used this rifle in cowboy action matches up until 1999 when I went over to Black Powder and started using an 1866 Yellowboy.

It still gets dragged out when I shoot in a "Wild Bunch match when I use smokeless in all my firearms..

Boolit Master

Grape,

That sounds excellent, but you know that here on the interweb it didn't happen without pics!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)