WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone reload / work up loads at the range?

Anyone reload / work up loads at the range?

Was thinking about putting together some sort of set up that would allow me to work up loads at the range. I hate loading only 5 or 10 cases of 2 or 3 loads and then taking the 40 minute drive to the range to test them out. Since I can only really get to the range maybe once a week, it takes a long time to develop loads. I was thinking that I could get one of the little Lee presses and mount it on a board that I could c-clamp to one of the picnic tables at the range. This would only be used to seat boolits as I work up the loads. Take a bunch of prep'd. and primed brass, boolits and powder. I could start out with a couple starting loads already loaded and then work up the powder charges by loading 5, shooting them, up the powder charge, load 5, shoot them, etc. until I got to the max. that I wanted, accuracy goes away or pressure signs showed up. This would also avoid loading a whole bunch of different loads and finding out that you max out a couple loads below the top ones you have loaded and then have to pull a bunch down. Anyone (that doesn't have a range in their back yard) do this?

In Remembrance
    I once rigged up a Lee Challenger on two pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together and c-clamped it to my open tailgate. At one of my old favorite ranges many years ago, you backed your car/truck right up to where you were shooting. Worked out great.

Seems like fewer and fewer ranges will let you reload on the line or anywhere close to it anymore.

We can, as a matter of fact, back right up to the covered firing line at our range. The tailgate thing would work fine, but there are several picnic benches there as well. Also, I just thought about one of the Lee hand presses. That would be nice and portable, and you wouldn't even need to clamp it to a table. Anyone use one of these?

I would recommend a Lee Hand Loader at the range. To tell you the truth, that's all I have. I don't have a mounted press at all.
    The only problem with loading at the range is: How do you weigh the powder with the wind blowing and all?
    My 2 cents worth.
    Dean

Le Loup Solitaire

Field Loading

It is possible to load at the range or anywhere else;the only complicated step is the scale. I don't have an electronic scale, but would imagine the same problem would exist as with a beam scale .....the wind! Any breeze however slight sends the scale into wild hysteria. Bringing it into the cab of the truck or car and onto some sort of shelf/balanced box might work. Another option would be the use of dippers such as the Lee(s) or any size that you might make out of a used cartridge case, but this would limit you to one powder. Another possibility would be the RCBS Little Dandy system if you subscribe to fixed powder measures being as accurate as you would like them to be. It can be done successfully with some good planning. LLS

Check out the Sinclair site. They cater to the Benchrest crowd and they have several products for loading right at your bench.

I used to have to drive 30 minutes to the Range so can relate to your dilemma. I'd put together a few different loads and immediately see that a certain powder or bullet seemed to be THE one. I'd have to go home, load again, drive back, etc, etc.

Now I have a benchrest and a 100 and 200 yd setup in my backyard. With the bench roughly 60 feet from the loading table it makes the job a lot easier.

FN in MT

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I'm lucky to have one of those ranges where you can load/test right at the bench....'course that's because no one's there during the weekdays. In my situation the little Lee hand press is just the ticket, although I'm seriously thinking about taking my long unused Tru-line Jr.....for nostalgia I guess.

There was a suggestion on one of the other forums about scales: Place a tansparent plastic storage box upside down over the scale, with a small opening for a powder trickler. Not an inconveinence really and the scale will settle down just like at home.

On Heaven's Range

Not for me....

When I first conceived the "Schuetzenwagen" (see: Castpics, Projects for photos), it was my belief that the ability to handload in comfort at the range would be a great advantage.

For me, it didn't turn out that way. Over several years, the number of rounds actually loaded in the van was miniscule. It turned out that range and daylight hours are too valuable to be spent doing something that can be accomplished at home in the dark hours. Given sufficient brass for a cartridge, loading at the range is a waste of my time.

I have now removed the Spar-T press from Der Schuetzenwagen and peddled it to NVCurmudgeon, who uses it on a regular basis....quite different from its "passenger" status in the van. A vise now occupies the former loading bench, and it gets more use than the turret press ever did. (The first press, visible in the Castpics shots, was an All-American...too tall for the existing headroom.)

Loading at the range may work well for someone else; for myself, it was a good idea that didn't work out.

(There have been MANY changes in Der 'wagen since the early photos were taken. I really should get some updated ones posted.)
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

My range is in my back yard so I do it all the time.

Bruce, while it didn't work out for you, the Schuetznewagen was WAY COOL! I don't plan on doing a complete reloading setup at the range. Only need to be able to measure and dump powder and seat boolits. All other case sizing, priming etc. would be done prior at home. The simpler the setup, the better (less stuff to forget at home). Once a load is decided on, I will just load the larger batches at home as usual.

3006guns, the clear plastic box is a great idea! Even if you just put it over the scale to let it settle down after putting the powder on it.

As far as wind goes, I wouldn't do load work ups on a real windy day anyway. Makes it hard to tell if its the load or the wind blowing the groups.

Grizz, I tried the small Lee press mounted on a scrap of 2 x 6 (with a place for the Lee "Perfect" powder measure too) that I C-clamped to one of our loading benches. It worked rather well for neck-sizing the cases, but FL sizing was much more difficult and seemed to strain the press. I also tried the Lee Loader with a dipper appropriate to the powder and jacketed bullet I was using and a handful of cases as per Richard Lee's suggestion. The "kit" for that Lee Loader (primers, bullets, a Lee case gauge & trimmer, powder funnel and 10 empty .243Win. cases) fits nicely in a milsurp ammo can. Btw, I preset the powder measure via a [powder] scale beforehand.

I do all the case prep work [size and prime] at home, i take a card board box with me to shield the scale from the wind, the lee press is what I use now, mounted on a 2 x 6 with some "C" clamps.
    i did make a portable mount for my Rock Chucker, but got tired of hauling the heavy thing around plus taking if off and putting it back on the bench
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master

I load at the range and out in the "field' quite often. Most of the time all of the case prep is done at home so all that is needed is to throw the powder charge and seat the bullet. I use either the Lee hand press or a old Pacific C press "C" clamped to the bench to seat the bullets. Powder is thrown using a Lee powder measure. I know the settings from "start" to "max" loads as I weight the charges and record the settings at home before going to the range. Sometimes I use a scale at the range but the wind will mess with it unless it is protected. A large cardboard box on it's side does well with light winds (up to 5 mph) but above that it isn't worth the effort. I carry the above along with bullets, powder, extra primers, dacron, loading tray, dies, deprime die, Lee hand primer, set of Lee shell holcers for the press and primer tool and other accouterments in a MTM box with one tray. The use of such saves much travel and set up time at the range as it shortens the number of trips or at least you can get more done in a given number of trips.

For complete loading in the "field" I use Lyman tong tools, Lee loaders or sometimes the Lee hand press with NS dies. I sometimes use Lee pwder measures but mostly the Lee powder thrower (C clamped to table, etc.) after knowing what the charge setting is. The lee thrower is 100% repeatable in it's settings. Just record the proper setting weight of pwder thrown desired, set the thrower micrometer to that setting and it will throw that weight. As with all throwers, consistency of operation is necessary for uniform charges.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I have reloaded at the range. I used a small Lee press and an electronic scale . The scale was protected with a box. I'd take a large bag of prepped and primed brass, a box or 2 of bullets and what powders I intended to test. I found (as did bruce) that I was spending to much time at the range. I have since gone to reloading a series of cartridges at home and testing them when I get the chance. I have many good loads worked up over the years and now just check to see they are STILL viable. IF you just want to play at the range ,it's a OK idea. I've even carried 5 cases on a week end ground hog hunt , loading as I needed to using a Lee kit.

Banned

Here's the truth!!!

I live 100 miles from the range, and shoot every Wednesday.
    I load 25Record +10SS with each of 2 to 4 loads, thus 70 to 140 rifle cartridges.
    25 = 5 sets of 5-shot targets, with 3 SS for fouling between sets of 2 targets in a 15 minute relay. 3 foulers, 10 for record, clean, 3 foulers..........
    Less than 5 5-shot groups and there's not enough information.
    Yesterday it took from 9AM to 12:30 PM to shoot 70 shots. Less talk and I could have shot more, but the BS keeps the barrel cool.
    Nobody needs to accuracy test by reloading at the range, more brass is the answer, load at home.
    I shoot SS rifles, loading 1 at a time at the range, no press required, just 1 cartridge case. Also shoot bolt guns loading 1 at a time. These for fun, not to work up an accurate load.
    Get more brass. Load at home.
    You'll screw up loading at the range. Want to see my finger?
    joe b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finger.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Do it often, the firing line is inside and we have benches, so I c clamp my press to the bench, set out a scale, powder etc. Don't do any sizing or priming at the range just bring the brass already prepped.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Stubby index finger,
    Tappin' out your code.
    Stubby index finger,
    Lookin' like a.......toad!

Does anybody remember the name of the movie that's from? With Mickey Rooney as a legendary telegraph operator.

Jerry

P.S. Sorry JoeB, the devil made me do it!!

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Depends. Generally not, but when I was trying to come up with a load/powder/wad/filler combo for a .410 Slug, there was no practical way to do it otherwise.

Make 5 on the bench with the Lee Loader, shoot them, tweak, try 5 more, etc.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Stubby index finger,
    Tappin' out your code.
    Stubby index finger,
    Lookin' like a.......toad!

Does anybody remember the name of the movie that's from? With Mickey Rooney as a legendary telegraph operator.

Jerry

P.S. Sorry JoeB, the devil made me do it!!
    Evil Roy Slade 1972

Smile

Joe B., what's the story behind that finger?
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."