MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: What alloy does Lee use for designing bullets?

What alloy does Lee use for designing bullets?

All,

I am casting some 45 bullets from the Lee 300gr 45colt/454casull mold that uses gas checks.

I am using Lyman #2 alloy, and my bullets are dropping at 285gr. Even with gas checks, they are still only 290 or there abouts.

What alloy does Lee "design with"?

Should I add more lead to my #2 and drop the antimony and tin down to 3.5%? (currently, 5% each)

I plan on pushing these bullets to around 1200fps from a 45lc Wincehster 94AE and around the same from an 8" 454 casull. (different load data for both, obviously)

Wheel weights are impossible to get where I am at... have to make my own alloy or buy it online.

Suggestions are welcome.

Boolit Master
    Doug at LEE told me they use 10 to 1.

David

Boolit Master

I was also told 10/1, Pb/Sn (Lead/Tin) but was told the "10" is actually wheelweights. I planned my most recent special order on the Wheelweight/Tin 10/1 mix and hit the weight target right on the money.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Devers,

Holly smolly! We have some guys using pure lead at that velocity and getting by using Liquid Alox.

If you have enough diameter to work with, take that Lyman #2 and mix in about 50% pure lead. That should still be about 10-11 BHN. Since you are using a GC, I seriously doubt that you will need anything harder than the 10 BHN. At least I haven't. Especially if you are running Herco speed powder or slower.

But you are going to lose up to .001 off the diameter you are casting now if you can afford that. The safe thing to do is to start with a smaller percentage and come down. Mold a few bullets at a time and try them. But you can take that #2 down by 75% and use some method of heat treatment and be right back up at the 15-16 BHN area if you want.

"Search" (at the top) for "Heat" and read on. Might give you some ideas that saves you some BIG money.

Boolit Master
    Being a cynical soul and having followed the battles with out of spec moulds, I suspect that Lee's "standard alloy" is whatever lets them claim, "It's in spec with our alloy."
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Grand Master

>>>Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.<<<

Actually, it is a TERRIBLE idea. It's just worlds ahead of whatever other form of government is out there...

Dale53

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53
    >>>Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.<<<

Actually, it is a TERRIBLE idea. It's just worlds ahead of whatever other form of government is out there...

Dale53
    I believe this nation was set up as a Republic, not a democracy. At least that was what the Pledge of Allegiance said before they stopped reciting it.

Banned
    45 2.1

That's the way I heard it too. After the Revolutionary War, our forefathers were drafting up the Constitution, the people were outside waiting for the news. I believe it was Ben Franklin that came out and said "Well, you have a Republic...if you can hold on to it." That's the way I heard it, but I'm sure someone more well versed on our history will chime in.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Hmmmm.....I have that same mould, and mine throws a 315 grain boolit out of wheelweights. Are you sure your alloy is Lyman #2?

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Dale53]>>>Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.<<<

in a democracy...simple majority wins......and your right its sucks!

as has been pointed out by a few of us that can actually read, we live in a republic.
    it consists of 50 INDEPENDENT states with a SMALL federal government for the COMMON good.

somethings have got lost in the last 50 years or so.

just one more reason why i own guns and can pour and load my own...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB
    Hmmmm.....I have that same mould, and mine throws a 315 grain boolit out of wheelweights. Are you sure your alloy is Lyman #2?
    Yep, mine are 315 with WW also.

I'll have to do some checking with some regular wheel weights I have laying around. (from wheels I turned in years ago)

I also have some 20:1 I use for BP.

If they are using 10:1 Lead/tin, I am using 90:5:5 lead/tin/antimony.

I'll try cutting it down to 94:3:3 and see if that helps.

I will also try different fill techniques. (I am not getting torn bases...)

Boolit Bub
    Yup, mine dumps at 315gr using range scap. I push it at 1760fps out of my Puma 45 no problems.